1.    #1  
    I am shocked myself, but I actually got a response and it CONFIRMS some of the various rumors and discussions going on lately..... read below...

Thank you for your attached note to Denny Strigl. He's asked me to respond with information about our product line per your request.

As you may be aware, there was a consumer products safety board recall of the Kyocera 7135 to address an issue with the battery in the device. We and the CPSB have recently approved the updated battery and the 7135 is being reshipped to our stores for a Mar 1 relaunch.

Regarding the Treo 600, we have been working with Handspring to bring this device to market. In order to launch on the Verizon network, Handspring needed to incorporate a second (800mhz) band as well as GPS (E911) capability. This integration is almost complete and test units are in our lab now for approval. We expect a 2Q04 launch of this device.

I hope this information was helpful. We look forward to the opportunity to serve your wireless needs, hopefully in the very near future.

Thanks again for your note.

John Stratton

VP & Chief Marketing Officer
    Verizon Wireless

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 11:17 PM
    To: Denny.Strigl@verizonwireless.com; dennis.strigl@verizonwireless.com
    Subject: palmos smartphones

I can't believe how slowly your company has been handling the current situation with the Kyocera 7135. It's been off the shelves for over a month, yet you have not brought in a replacement phone such as the Handspring Treo 600. No doubt you are aware of the petition signed by so many of your customers and potential customers, requesting that you begin carrying the Treo... (http://www.petitiononline.com/treo600/petition.html) You would sell thousands if not millions of these, and they are 3x the price of a normal cell phone.

I've been waiting and waiting for you to come out with something so I can switch from my current provider. Why have you taken no action? What are you planning to do about this huge gap in your product line? Are you that out of touch that you don't know the HUGE demand for a PalmOS Smartphone to be used on your network?

Regards,
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    My company name etc.

Your post is appreciated.
    I ain't a radio engineer but I bet the above-mentioned changes would require FCC approval.

As such, watching the FCC web site:

-- https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/c...ericSearch.cfm

(using "o8f" as the grantee code) might just be a good way to determine actual launch date sometime in the future.

Hey!

Let's call this "enhanced TREO 600" a TREO 610!
    Why would they need a 2nd 800 Mhz band? Anyone know? Others seem to have Sprint Treo 600 working on Verizon ok.

Interesting that he refers to them as Handspring rather than PalmOne

Hope this is for real.
    Would the additional band allow analog roaming?
    > ...Hope this is for real...

For investing in stock purposes one absolutely should be a severe Doubting Thomas, however for sheer "When's Verizon coming?" purposes - ala "T-Mobile shipping when?" - the first post is more than sufficient "proof".

Wheeeee!!
    Regarding the Treo 600, we have been working with Handspring to bring this device to market. In order to launch on the Verizon network, Handspring needed to incorporate a second (800mhz) band as well as GPS (E911) capability. This integration is almost complete and test units are in our lab now for approval. We expect a 2Q04 launch of this device.
    I read this as the TREO600 only has one band and they want HS to make a second band, which would be 800MHZ. Also that it has no E911. I thoguht the CDMA Version (Sprint/Verizion) already has this?

I thought the current TREO600 already is a Daul Band phone and it does have E911.
    http://www.handspring.com/products/c...00_specs.jhtml
    CDMA (Sprint):
    - 800/1900 MHz nationwide coverage...
    800MHZ and 1.9GHZ

http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=5634

In related news, Handspring has selected the AirPrime EM3400 series as the CDMA2000 1x wireless module to power the Treo 600. The EM3420 module unlocks all the wireless features and applications for the Treo 600 including comprehensive voice services, SMS functionality and integrated assisted GPS for E911 compliance. Additionally, the EM3420 enables high-speed bi-directional data rates up to 153.6 kbps to power the compelling data-focused applications that come standard with the device.