Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    I tell you I don't know what happened.

It's like Handspring and now Palm are making us stay with the old technology...yu vill laik ut (you will like it)

while the rest of the world is including exciting things into their babies, Palm One is stuck

I did read something somewhere recently about "troubles in management" and "culture problems" and something like that...I can see the management/product development machine inside Palm One is frozen.

But they thank God are reading these posts, which have changed from "we are unhappy" to Motorola, HP and Nokia ALL offering Wifi, BT, Hires and voice and keyboards.

So finally they feel some pressure on their behinds. Halleluyah!
    Originally posted by mgauss
    I tell you I don't know what happened.

It's like Handspring and now Palm are making us stay with the old technology...yu vill laik ut (you will like it)

while the rest of the world is including exciting things into their babies, Palm One is stuck

I did read something somewhere recently about "troubles in management" and "culture problems" and something like that...I can see the management/product development machine inside Palm One is frozen.

But they thank God are reading these posts, which have changed from "we are unhappy" to Motorola, HP and Nokia ALL offering Wifi, BT, Hires and voice and keyboards.

So finally they feel some pressure on their behinds. Halleluyah!

i have to agree with you... i dont know if its frozen development or restricting financial difficulties, but its true that other larger companies are beginning to surpass whats out now with combination devices that offer much of what the treo offers as well as wifi, bluetooth, edge, hi res, 1.3 mpixel camera, etc.

it may be that the reason that these devices are coming out while palmone still has 160 x 160 res is that palmone is not yet a company with the cash that a nokia comes to the table with.

im not going to take anything away from what handspring has given to us. i love the treo 600 and i think it is a wonderful blend of what technology was available at the time... (this is an arguable point, im sure.) but i do think they did a heroic job with what they had to work with financially... they were literally on the brink!!! so they are to be commended.

but they will soon have to release some very advanced treos to pull ahead of the nokias, the motorola smartphones, and the like.
    i personally would like to see them rule the smartphone arena ahead of microsoft and nokia but thats just me. in the end... the better technology will shape my decision of what model to buy.
    Last edited by treobk214; 02/26/2004 at 12:32 AM.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    OK Palm guys let me spoon feed you.

We do love the Treo. We are not expecting all the features of everybody.

Here is what we NEED:

Hi res 320 x 320 - 160 x 160 has been DONE
    Wifi and BT - If you want to with a card
    Voice recorder - Duh

THAT will get us to stay and will still make the Treo the best out there.

However, if your plan is to offer those in 2006, the ship will sink. Others will eat you up alive. It won't be pretty. You'll be a footnote like Visicalc (a historical spreadsheet like 123 that ended in MonsterGate Excel).
    What *technically* would have to change in the current Treo 600 to support a 320x320 screen?

Is the hardware in that form factor (i.e. shape and dimensions) readily available from their supplier(s)?

Who does supply their current 160x160 screen, anyway?

Would a new screen cost dramatically more for them to produce? How much more?

Would it be a major overhaul for manufacturing (R&D, etc)?

How much software change would be required?