1.    #1  
    "DON't SHOOT THE QUESTIONER"

Thought I'd ask...

Is it ever a good idea to periodically "hard reset" your Treo 600
    just to clean things out.?
    Kinda like a colonic for your PDA (sorry for this analogy), or
    perhaps like a "disk defragment" on your PC.?.?

Of course you would do a backup of everything prior to this (even the SD card). And you would ensure the completion of a
    successful backup.

I was just wondering if it would remove any orphaned bits or bytes that might be hanging out on the 600 and maybe
    improve performance?

If this question has be posted before.. sorry. Since I got the
    600 I occasionally wondered about it.
    A pin reset is good enough to clean up any memory leaks.

It is a good idea not to migrate all your old junk from handheld to handheld if yo uare upgrading. I always recommend emptying your <username>\Backup folder before synching to a new handheld. THis gives you a clean start without any lingering orphans and unintended 'trojan horses' plus you get more free space. When you complete the first HotSync, go to a copy of your old backup folder and install only the applications and data files you KNOW that you need. If you cannot identify a file, DONT migrate it. One file that can be useful to migrate is the Saved Preferences.pdb file since it contains some useful settings and product registrations. But again, if possible, its better to start afresh on this file at the small cost of reregistering a few applications.
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by Poryphyron
    A pin reset is good enough to clean up any memory leaks.

It is a good idea not to migrate all your old junk from handheld to handheld if yo uare upgrading. I always recommend emptying your <username>\Backup folder before synching to a new handheld. THis gives you a clean start without any lingering orphans and unintended 'trojan horses' plus you get more free space. When you complete the first HotSync, go to a copy of your old backup folder and install only the applications and data files you KNOW that you need. If you cannot identify a file, DONT migrate it. One file that can be useful to migrate is the Saved Preferences.pdb file since it contains some useful settings and product registrations. But again, if possible, its better to start afresh on this file at the small cost of reregistering a few applications.
    Thank you for your time and comments Poryphyron,
    What you said is what I assumed... As for the registered stuff I keep the keys in a file on the PC and a file on the 600 (It's called
    SECRET) that gets syncronized after every hotsync.

Thanks Again