1.    #1  
    I talked my father-in-law into buying a Treo 600 and he loved up until today. He just called and said his screen looked all "twisted up". He had just plugged it into a hotel outlet. Needless to say, he was panicked since he uses his Treo extensively for phone/email communication.

I had him reset the Treo and it took him through the initial setup process. He lost all of his data and all of the programs and settings we had established.

I know that I can restore most of his stuff, but the bigger question is, what the hell happened? I thought if you reset the Treo, it would retain all of the settings and data.

Any thoghts?
    "Those left standing will make millions writing books on the way it should have been"
    Originally posted by cowrock
    I talked my father-in-law into buying a Treo 600 and he loved up until today. He just called and said his screen looked all "twisted up". He had just plugged it into a hotel outlet. Needless to say, he was panicked since he uses his Treo extensively for phone/email communication.

I had him reset the Treo and it took him through the initial setup process. He lost all of his data and all of the programs and settings we had established.

I know that I can restore most of his stuff, but the bigger question is, what the hell happened? I thought if you reset the Treo, it would retain all of the settings and data.

Any thoghts?
    First of all I will assume he's not traveling in Eurpope trying to do this.
    Second.. I think you shold get some elaboration from your FIL
    and get a better definition of "twisted up".

Is he using a travel charger or does he have his computer and is
    using his "syn" charger ?
    Is the charger a handspring supplied/purchased charger?
    etc,.
    A step-by-step of what he did and what it looked like when
    he did what he did might be helpful for us/me.

Thanks.
    did he perform a hard reset or soft reset? a hard reset will delete all of your data and then take you through the initial setup of the device.

I soft reset shouldn't delete your data nor take you through the inital setup.

how did he reset the device?
    Originally posted by dpwaters
    did he perform a hard reset or soft reset? a hard reset will delete all of your data and then take you through the initial setup of the device.

I soft reset shouldn't delete your data nor take you through the inital setup.

how did he reset the device?
    Sounds like a hard reset had been done. I too would love to know what "twisted up" looks like.
    ~ ScandaLous ~