1.    #1  
    I just fried my Treo600 using a car charger I bought on Ebay.

It works fine except it won't sync via a hotsync cable (IR works fine).

Be careful out there and don't make my $600 mistake!
    Yikes! Sorry to hear that, but thanks for the heads-up.

I've been buying some accessories on ebay. I bought some stuff for my Treo from Dan's, and I've bought some stuff for my Sanyo VM4500 from somebody I don't recall who it was.
    sorry to hear about your fried treo - what would be even more useful than your warning would be to know from whom you bought the car charger...then we can avoid buying from that source
    Man...Sorry to hear..that stinks!
    Was is a third party item or an OEM item? I assume if it's an OEM (Original Equipment Manufactre) device your ok. I only buy OEM just for this fear. Look out though, some sellers use the HS and Pa1m One ICONS and logos and make it look as if it's offical or OEM and it's not. If I don't see "OEM" in the discription, then I don't get it, just to be safe.

Just my 2-cents, Matt

At least it's still useable (sort of). You can still charge it, right? You just lost the data line?
    Last edited by Burkhardi; 02/25/2004 at 10:04 AM.
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by murrayalex
    sorry to hear about your fried treo - what would be even more useful than your warning would be to know from whom you bought the car charger...then we can avoid buying from that source
    I am not 100% sure of who it was. I think I know, but it was a while ago, and I don't want to drag someone's name through the mud. Needless to say it was *not* OEM stuff.

Moral of the story: buy official HS stuff. I think Danscellularaccessories sells OEM stuff, and I'm completely happy with the cradle I got from him.
    Ok, so just take the phone back to the store, have them try to sync it, it won't work, you get a new phone.

Just because you THINK the car chager did it doesn't mean that it did. Could be manufacturer defect.

Of course I would not even suggest at the store that I thought the charger did it. I would just state that it stopped syncing.

If you have Sprint, I'm sure one of the red shirted monkeys will give you a new or refurbed phone.

7.    #7  
    Originally posted by speclcajun
    Just because you THINK the car chager did it doesn't mean that it did. Could be manufacturer defect.
    I guess it could, but it worked right before I put it on there, and it didn't work right after.
    I have bought two Treo items off ebay (and sold two used 300's) from Dans Cellular and Spuraticat. Dan's item was the headphone adapter and Spuraticat's item was the nifty USB charger/sync cable that I carry everywhere. Hell, it even included the car adapter for the USB port, all for about 12 bucks.

Buy from reputable people and you shouldn't have a problem.
    ----------------
    "I guess it could, but it worked right before I put it on there, and it didn't work right after."
    ------------------

Oy. Talk about missing the point!

Granted he left out *wink* and *nudge*, but you should have picked up on it.
    Not to twist the dagger too much but....

Your phone came with an insert warning you some car chargers would damage your Treo.
  11.    #11  
    Originally posted by dgoodisi
    Not to twist the dagger too much but....

Your phone came with an insert warning you some car chargers would damage your Treo.
    Yeah, I know. I guess that's why I'm warning people here.
    I would trust Dan's products. I purchased a car carger, and cradle and haven't had any problems. It's been over 3 months ago and I use both quite a bit.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
  13.    #13  
    Originally posted by GeekyMom
    I would trust Dan's products. I purchased a car carger, and cradle and haven't had any problems. It's been over 3 months ago and I use both quite a bit.
    He sells OEM stuff. It should be good.
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    He sells OEM stuff. It should be good.
    sorry to hear that, kurt. i`ve considered buying and selling wireless accessories on ebay myself but ive always been a little wary of how much trust to put into the ebay thing.

thankyou for warning us. i hope the situation can somehow be remedied for you, kurt, thats a shame.
    Hmm, can't seem to delete my post. So just posting garbage instead. Wheeeeeeee.

BDA

p.s. Sorry about your treo Kurt, thought I had a solution for you, but didn't read your initial post correctly at first.
    Last edited by ballardthedome; 02/25/2004 at 10:58 PM.
    Kurt,

Please tell us what happens in your case; if you end up getting a replacement (refurb unit), or if there is a problem with insurance and you have to repurchase all together.

I had a close call a month or so back myself and called in the insurance, but the unit started to work again. Mines involved water damage.

I feel your pain -- for real. It was like someone stole my car or something.
    Last edited by GeekyMom; 02/26/2004 at 07:57 AM.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    A non-OEM USB port charging/sync cable should be okay, shouldn't it? It's not like there are any electronics in the cable or anything. The car charger seems like more of a risk.
  18.    #18  
    Originally posted by GeekyMom
    Kurt,

Please tell us what happens in your case; if you end up getting a replacement (refurb unit), or if there is a problem with insurance and you have to repurchase all together.
    I think I'm just going to have to deal with it. I feel bad about making something up to get a new one and in all reality, only the hotsyncing doesn't work. The rest of the phone works perfectly. It's a pain, but one I don't think I'll pay $600 to remedy.