1.    #1  
    Has anyone had an experience with the "feature" that allows the space bar to be used to answer calls, even with the Keyguard on? This "feature" will allow your Treo to automatically answer a call, without a ring, if anything is touching the space bar (I've also gotten it to answer with any other key depressed, not just the space bar). This "feature" then will allow anyone calling to overhear any conversation that is happening around the phone.

I have had 4 embarrasing moments in the course of a day with my new Treo, one of which involved a (former) future boss who listened in on a private discussion I had with a friend for 11 minutes without detection! (Good news was, I got a chance to see his [lack of] ethics in action).

Unfortuntately, this means you cannot use any type of protective case that might hit the space bar.

PalmOne's response was that "this is a case issue, not an issue with the phone" (like the Ford Pinto was a gasoline issue and not an issue with bad design).

Before I return my Treo back to AT&T during the "30 day guarantee" period (like I should have with my Treo 300), have any of you really savvy Treoites figured out a fix for this?

Much appreciated!

Brian
    Disable the auto-answer feature. Here's the fix:

http://tvbilly.com/DAAK/
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Here's two options that will fix your problem...

Look at Phoneguard:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...honeGuard.html

Or Treo Butler

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...eo+butler.html

There are others, but I'm more familiar with these two. Personally I prefer Treo Butler because it disables the answer keys effectively and has a number of other useful features integrated in the same app. Phoneguard just handles the keys.

Good Luck!

Rotello

EDIT: Yup, Treo Allegro is another good choice. In my case I use a Treo Bulter / Treo Allegro combination. I have Treo Butler handling the answer keys for whatever reason. The combo of the two apps is great, though, because their other feature sets don't overlap, which makes both of them indispensible to me...
    Last edited by rotello; 02/25/2004 at 09:12 AM.
    DAAK is great for just that. If you want a program that has a few other features as well as the auto-answer key disabling, do a search for PhoneGuard, Treo Allegro, or Treo Butler.

EDIT: whoops, looks like someone types faster than me

Though they missed Treo Allegro, which is also free and does quite a bit more.
    I had an embarrassing moment, I called my brother-in-law a "boring dork" after I thought the phone was hung up and was talking to my brother.

Anyway load... http://tvbilly.com/DAAK/ It's free and works perfectly.
    Last edited by Advance The Man; 02/25/2004 at 09:11 AM.
  6.    #6  
    desco, you are awesome -- thanks!

I'll need to wait for the AT&T version to come out. I really appreciate the fact that you, too, recognized this as (what I call) truly stupid design flaw -- the phone once answered in my vest pocket even before I bought the "fancy case."

Much appreciate your sharing this with everyone. Any idea when the AT&T version will come out?
  7.    #7  
    THANK YOU! for all your input!

I decided I needed either a quick fix, or I was going to storm down to AT&T and get a Motorola. So I bought the TreoButler and it works as advertised -- I now feel relieved!

P.S. My brother-in-law is a boring dork, too
    I am also very familiar with the 'disabling keys' feature of these utilities. Another one is KeepOFF. Simple and free. I use PhoneGuard personally.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    "I had an embarrassing moment, I called my brother-in-law a "boring dork" after I thought the phone was hung up and was talking to my brother."

Yeah, but your brother-in-law is a boring dork. He needed to hear it from somoeone.

Maybe this autoanswer thing does serve a greater purpose!

"Hey, my boss is a really stupid mother%&#*$er!"

"Oops, Boss, is that you? Sorry, I thought I had hung up. I would never say something like that to YOU!"

Think of all the great, cathartic, possibilities.
    poker night with the guys, feeling too good, treo in jacket pocket accidently calls wife's phone and leaves a 15 min long voicemail. What do you think guys talk about while playing cards?
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
  11.    #11  
    With all this great feedback, and with my experiences, I can see a new advertising campaign:

"Buy a Treo 600 and get 30 minutes of your choice of counseling options for FREE!"*

*This offer good only for counseling, and does not apply to unemployment claims, divorce settlements, lost clients, alienated family members, or other damages that may arise in your otherwise normal life because of our really cool autoanswer feature.
    Seriously, why wouldn't they correct this? We just had the software update, they could have done it then. This is a huge problem. I added the DAAK file and it works great. The final straw was hearing my wife's voice from my pocket. That's when I tried DAAK. I tested it and it works flawlessly.