1.    #1  
    This is the 2nd Time this has happened to my Treo 270. Handspring replaced it at no charge the first time. Now the replacement they sent me is out of warranty and the same thing occurred. Handspring/Palm now wants 179.00 to replace it. After originally paying 699.00 for the device I can not come to grips with forking another 179.00 over. After reading all the gripes about this being a defect, I do not understand why Handspring charges so much to replace/repair their defect. I have called several times and to no avail there seems to be no way around paying the 179.00 for replacement. Any suggestions?
    Originally posted by jonnyb
    This is the 2nd Time this has happened to my Treo 270. Handspring replaced it at no charge the first time. Now the replacement they sent me is out of warranty and the same thing occurred. Handspring/Palm now wants 179.00 to replace it. After originally paying 699.00 for the device I can not come to grips with forking another 179.00 over. After reading all the gripes about this being a defect, I do not understand why Handspring charges so much to replace/repair their defect. I have called several times and to no avail there seems to be no way around paying the 179.00 for replacement. Any suggestions?
    I see this is your first post. Welcome to TC. I wish you were posting with better news

Sorry to hear about your broken lid 'syndrome'.

It is a sad fact that the implementation and engineering of the lid was really dumb. So dumb that HS ditched it in favour of a 'candybar' style phone (the 600).

If you want, and as your machine is out of warranty (and broken), PM me and we can discuss how to remove the lid completely so you can have one of THESE
    www.gsmworld.com