1.    #1  
    I'm syncing my T600 with a Win2000 Advanced Server desktop. It has always worked fine with previous devices, including my old 270. Now, whenever I sync, the device DOES successfully sync with the desktop, but at the same time, I get this error that pops up when the system tries to install the driver. I get in the Found New Hardware Wizard -

An error occured during the installation of the device. The system cannot find the file specified.

I've tried a whole bunch of things - a number of restart/reinstalls of the dekstop/hotsync software, a run of the USB clean reg utility, and neither is correcting the problem. I also can't find the appropriate drivers anywhere on my desktop.

Anyone else have this/solve it or have any ideas?
  2.    #2  
    bump?
    Your W2K has flaked out when trying to enumerate the USB device in your Treo.

Here's the fix but its ugly.

Uninstall Palm Desktop
    Find and delete all instances of the following files:
    visorusb.sys
    visorusb.inf
    visorusb.dll
    palmusbd.sys
    palmusbd.inf
    palmusbd.pnf

Now do a search for a file called OEM*.INF that contains the text palmusbd.sys or the text visorusbd.sys. Delete this file and also a file that has the same name OEM<a number>.PNF.

Geeky explanation: Windows has an enumeration bug for USB devices where it refuses to recompile PNF files where it recognizes a usb driver from a previous enumeration of the same name. In other words, the INF file is compiled into PNF for a given .SYS file. If you install nother device that also has that same driver file name, windows may not recompile the PNF file. Your registry entries are then left as they were for the old SYS file driver. You dont get the correct parameters for the SYS file and you have problems like you described.
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by Poryphyron
    Your W2K has flaked out when trying to enumerate the USB device in your Treo.

Here's the fix but its ugly.

Uninstall Palm Desktop
    Find and delete all instances of the following files:
    visorusb.sys
    visorusb.inf
    visorusb.dll
    palmusbd.sys
    palmusbd.inf
    palmusbd.pnf

Now do a search for a file called OEM*.INF that contains the text palmusbd.sys or the text visorusbd.sys. Delete this file and also a file that has the same name OEM<a number>.PNF.

Geeky explanation: Windows has an enumeration bug for USB devices where it refuses to recompile PNF files where it recognizes a usb driver from a previous enumeration of the same name. In other words, the INF file is compiled into PNF for a given .SYS file. If you install nother device that also has that same driver file name, windows may not recompile the PNF file. Your registry entries are then left as they were for the old SYS file driver. You dont get the correct parameters for the SYS file and you have problems like you described.
    how about the file VisorUSB.pnf? Does that get deleted too? Also - what about adjustments to the registry? Would that solve this - since i know that's what Handspring wants to do with me if I can ever get them on the phone while i'm at my home computer.

Thanks for the info!
    Last edited by bigmdime; 02/25/2004 at 10:39 PM.