Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've had lots of hardware problems with the 300 and 600 model... also, horrible experiences dealing with HandSpring. This is a company that doesn't appreciate Quality Control and distances itself from its customers... BUYER BEWARE! OK, This is my experience with Handspring...

1. Owned two Treo 300s... I experienced broken hinge problem twice. After second replacement, I switched to the 600 model.

2. I ordered the Treo 600 within about two weeks of their introduction. My order was, of course, back-ordered. What really ticked me off about this experience, is the problems I had placing an order. I submitted my order and was told by HS that my card was declined. I called the credit card company and they said they had noticed suspicious activity (HS made a $.20 charge to verify payment... this apparently popped a flag in CitiBank's system) and delayed payment. I told them it was autorized and they said no problem. I called HandSpring to tell them of the mixup and they said no problem... EXCEPT THAT NO I HAD TO RETURN TO THE BACK OF THE CUE! So, three weeks after my initial order, I was placed at the back of the cue and there was no way to change that! Problem two with HS. Their antiquated order system made my wait longer... my impatience, made me forgoe the $200 discount to get a 600 ASAP.

3. Since I really needed this device (I was on a month-long work trip), I picked up one from a Sprint Store in Dallas. The device worked fine for about three weeks... then problems began. first, the device failed to synchronize with my desktop. After two weeks of this problem, the Treo began dropping calls. After a while, it was a useless brick. I returned it to the Sprint store and waited two weeks for a replacement. This was my third broken handSpring in a year!

4. Almost two weeks ago, Sprint sent me a replacement. The phone worked well for about a week. A few days ago, however, my earpriece stopped working. I noticed that the speaker was distorted for a few minutes of a conference call... then the thing died entirely. for the past few days, I've only ben able to use my Treo as a speakerphone... and even that capability has been degraded. I just orderd my second treo Replacement in less than two months. THAT MAKES FOUR BROKEN HANDSPRING TREOS, 2 300s and 2 600s, IN ONE YEAR!

When you have a problem with these phones, handspring doesn't give a damn. How could this company consistently crank out garbage for years?

If you've yet to experience QA problems with your Treo, consider yourself lucky. If you have, join the club. If you've yet to buy a Treo, think twice.
    A poll on this message board suggests the TREO 600 has a 45+% "failure rate" - where "failure rate" is how many folks said they had to return theirs AT LEAST once.
    Seldom, you are far too sophisticated an analyst to believe that a self-reported group of people with defective Treos make up a representative sample. Everyone knows that most folks who are happy with their Treos will not even see the poll, much less respond to it.

I am not arguing that Handspring's quality control or customer service are stellar -- far from it. However, I have grave doubts that 45%, or even 15%, of Treo users have returned their units as defective.

I could be wrong, but statistical realities are with me.
    I got my treo withing the first week of its release, I was one of the lucky few whose order was shipped right away. My treo has been working fine till last week, when the speaker on the earpiece whent completly dead, when I am luckly to hear any sound its all broken up and I cant tell what the person is saying. Just like you Boros I can only use my treo on the speaker phone mode. This sucks, such an expensice device, so many problems. I dont have the time to go and replace it, and when I do probably next week if I am lucky, does anyone know how long it will take me to get a new one?
    > ...Everyone knows that most folks who are happy with their
    > Treos will not even see the poll, much less respond to it...

55% of the respondents said they still were on #1.

Since this is a message board dedicated to TREO-fanatics I have very little doubt, actually, that the poll is off by much!
    Seldom, you make my point for me. The vast majority of Treo 600 owners never even see these boards -- only the fanatics come here.

Doyou really think that tens of thousands of Treo 600's have been returned? If so, then where are the Form 8K filings? There is no way such a high failure rate would not be reportable under the Securities Laws as a material issue. Even if PalmOne were to go out on a limb and wait for a 10Q or 10K, it could not be avoided. A 45% return rate is exceedingly unlikely. If it were that high, it would be publicly disclosed as a material issue.
    Though you're probably right about a need for a formal filing for outrageously extensive returns, the fact is that PLMO management actually mentioned addressing the return/defect/something-related rate in the last earnings call.

So maybe they have met the needs of disclosure.

But in any case...

My post was to reinforce the original poster-of=this-thread's post that he/she for sure is not alone. Not by a long shot.
  8.    #8  
    My failure rate is 100%... that is 4 out of 4 Palms have failed in the past year. Yes, I'm a complete moron to keep giving Palm a chance and hoping they'll get better. Given my excessive rate of failure and the other prople met spending an hour in line at the Sprint store with similar problems, I believe their QA issue is widespread. Again, I have done nothing out of the ordinary with these devices and I've had FOUR OUT OF FOUR fail in a year.

What really burns me is how they hide behind the cell carriers on this issue. They don't provide any technical resources to help us resolve the problem. They don't answer our phone calls. The fact that they didn't provide for a means for me to move my order up in the cue, when their ordering failed is indicitive of the service that they provide accross the board.

The sad thing is that, by hiding behind their OEMs, they're shifting the blame to them. A woman behind me in line at the Sprint store the other day was returning her second Treo. She was so upset that she told me she was switching providers. I tried to point out that the problem wasn't Sprint (Sprint's customer service has actually improved substantially over the last few years), her problem was with HandSpring. Her response, of course, was that Sprint shouldn't give her shuch trashy phones - she was right!

Until HandSpring/Palm decide to improve their Q!uality of Service and/or provide for better support resources for their customers, carriers should stop doing business with them.

There is no defense for making such pieces of garbage. I realize that this is a "bleeding-edge" phone... If, however, handSpring can't make an earpiece that lasts for more than a few weeks, they should stick to PDAs.
    I don't understand? I have a 300 that NEVER had a problem until nearly 17 months later, the flip finally broke. It's being replace thru the handset protection insurance with no problems. Now, I've had a 600 from the day it came out, still no problems with that. I have a co-worker who bought one about 2 months ago, he has had no problems. For all of us that have had no problems or returns with your 300's or 600's, play the lottery because we must have the best luck out there.

I understand that there are bound to be some inherent problems with any product but it is inconceivable for any product to have a 45% failure rate. I am sure that none of the returns had anything to do with software related issues or abuse/neglect from the user.(sarcasm)

If you don't like HS, Sprint, or anything else, than don't use it or buy it. It is funny that people that who don't like a movie, show, or radio station to picket it and give it more publicity. If you don't like a TV Show or radio station, change the channel. If you don't like a movie, don't go see it. There are people on this board that all they do is sit around and bash the Treo, HS/Palm or Sprint. If that is the case start your own website: treohaters.com
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by Facci
    If you don't like a movie, don't go see it. There are people on this board that all they do is sit around and bash the Treo, HS/Palm or Sprint. If that is the case start your own website: treohaters.com
    This would be appropriate except for the fact that:

1. HANDSPRING SHOULD KNOW ABOUT IT - I don't hate Treo, I wish they'd pay more attention to Quality Assurance. I admire their design, I love the Palm OS, I'm addicted to their functionality. I cannot, however, continue to support them until they pay attention to quality.

2. POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS SHOULD KNOW ABOUT IT - When making the decision to buy one of these things, you should know that QUALITY is an issue. You should know that you could spend a lot of time in line at your local carier's store. You should know that you may have to wait weeks fora replacement - a pain if you phone is also actually used as a PDA>

3. CUSTOMERS SHOULD BE VOCAL ON HOW THEY CAN IMPROVE - If you like or liked a company, you should voice your opinion. I have spent my career listening to customers and trying to incorporate their feedback into products. HandSpring should focus more attention on QA.

4. HandSpring should make it right and comunicate with their custoemr base - especially the zealots on this board.

If you're only interested in delivering glowing reviews and talking about how perfect Palm and treo are, may I suggest a new site for you and yours - SLEEPWITHHANDSPRING.com.

But seriously, I don't wish to flame... I'm upset at the rate of failure for these devices. I'm upset to know how sidespread the failure is. I'm upset that this failure has caused me so much downtime. I'm upset that, when I finally get my replacement headset, it will probably fail again in a few months.
    Originally posted by Boros
    I'm upset
    Clearly.
    Originally posted by Facci
    If you don't like HS, Sprint, or anything else, than don't use it or buy it. It is funny that people that who don't like a movie, show, or radio station to picket it and give it more publicity. If you don't like a TV Show or radio station, change the channel. If you don't like a movie, don't go see it. There are people on this board that all they do is sit around and bash the Treo, HS/Palm or Sprint. If that is the case start your own website: treohaters.com
    I love my Treo in the same way i love my Mac. I have owned a 180 then a 270 and now a 600. Unfortunately all three products consistently had quality problems. I never had that experience with any of my Apple Computers. I therefore become so passionate with endorsing the mac to friends and whoever cares to listen. I just could not do the same for my Treo. I would at length praise its design and usefulness but would stop myself from recommending the product. Somehow I feel so sure he/she would get back to me and tell me about the quality problems they'd experience and then I'd have to admit I've been experiencing the same. I will continue to have my defective Treo600 replaced over and over again despite the inconvenience and still continually praise its design because I know there's no other better alternative out there but until Palm One approximates the quality of Nokia and Sony products I'd always feel guilty recommending it. I am therefore hoping that Palm One learns from a Treo fanatic about my experience with regard the product's quality and its customer service because I wish for its success so that they could continue to churn out better and better design. And no I don't ever want to be identified with treohaters.com
    To save your money, your effort, and your data never buy a Treo. I hate mine I spend more time on the net trying to find solutions more than I use it.
    Nothing is worse than the Treo
    I have been lucky to have a Treo 300 from day one that never failed, followed by a Treo 600 from day one that so far has not failed. That said, I can really sympathize with users who love the concept of a product -- even can't live without it -- but hate the poor execution. I feel the same way about a lot of the software I use on my desktops and laptops everyday.

The Treo line is missing its true potential by not having a high enough level of quality control and worse, having lousy customer service and technical support. It seems downright cruel to market a product that you know people will absolutely depend on and then not support it for that purpose. Weeks for a replacement when your Treo fails? PalmOne and the carriers survive in this game only because there really is no better alternative for this particular feature set.

[Sigh.] You would think that this demand-side pull would lead to more choice in the market. I guess that there are not enough of us demanding a quality product with this feature set to have a real impact. Either that, or the usual market forces just don't move this particular market.
  15.    #15  
    Originally posted by curtiscarmack
    I guess that there are not enough of us demanding a quality product with this feature set to have a real impact. Either that, or the usual market forces just don't move this particular market.
    Well put. I think that from now-on, I'll forgoe a few extra features for having a phone that actually works. HandSpring should stick to PDAs - Palm should partner with Motorolla for phones. At least they realize that a speaker is an integral part of a phone.

On the bright side, my second Treo 600 Sprint replacement did arrive today. I hope I can get a few months out of this one.
    I'll forgoe a few extra features for having a phone that actually works. HandSpring should stick to PDAs
    Handspring will probably forego your advice.
    Hi,
    Do yourself a favor and put SeldomVisitor on your ignore list. For one he/she (although my bet is a He) visits too much to be seldom. Second I am not sure, but I don't think this person even owns a Treo 600. I think that this person believes that this is their "stock forum". All I ever see this person do is put down the Treo, I assume that this person owns MSFT stock. I could be wrong, but I don't think so. This person is one of those people who think that they are making an impact when they aren't in whatever they do. One word to desribe he/she is a Fool . Also I am one that has not participated in any poll. I have never had any problems with any of my Handspring devices. I have owned the Prism with visor phone, Treo 300, and Treo 600. I am starting to think that I am just lucky. Although one of the previous posters pointed out (and I agree), that mostly unhappy post in those polls and I agree. I never responded to the poll. I mostly come here to learn or help. If I was upset I would have started a poll myself.
    no seldom does not own a treo. he should because he could post msgs from anywhere.
    i've had 4 treos (wife and I, 300 & 600). no probs w/ em. only software issues on the 600, but what do u expect w/ a new tech? I could not do w/o a treo now.
    now my former boss is getting one and a prof @ UT austin I met on a business trip is getting one. . . I have nothing but praises for it.

Well put. I think that from now-on, I'll forgoe a few extra features for having a phone that actually works. HandSpring should stick to PDAs - Palm should partner with Motorolla for phones. At least they realize that a speaker is an integral part of a phone.

On the bright side, my second Treo 600 Sprint replacement did arrive today. I hope I can get a few months out of this one.
    Hi,
    Well if you are just looking for a "few extra" features a regular cell phone would be perfect for you. I left the house the other day and forgot my Treo. I really felt like I was missing something. I never meant to be a Treo advocate, but I feel like I am. I have never had any problems with any of my units. First of all my email, then with my phone calls, internet, shoutcast, and the end with no worries I need to use my laptop with Pda Net. I really could not live without it. I name this one of my top 5 purchases of all time and I have made some good purchases. Now I am thinking that I should buy some PalmOne stock
    Originally posted by lvigp

Now I am thinking that I should buy some PalmOne stock
    I think this person has Treo-induced insanity. The product is excellent but the company still is on life-support, from an investment perspective!!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast