Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 65
  1. #21  
    > ...Also I am one that has not participated in any poll. I have
    > never had any problems with any of my Handspring devices...

    The fact that YOU have never had a problem with your TREO 600 is interesting but totally irrelevant - that poll of a couple hundred TREO 600 owners says MORE than half the TREO 600s that were sold to them needed to go back.

    Even if the poll is misrepresenting the Real World NonGeek return-rate by ==100%== the results are STILL outrageous!

    That really is the only thing that matters w.r.t. THIS thread and replies to the initial post of it.

    ======

    BTW - your STUPID ad hominem attack on ME might make you feel warm-n-fuzzy about your to-be-broken TREO 600, but it changes no facts nor even begins to address my POSTS.

    Get off your ****ing high-horse, read the POSTS, and respond to them.

    If you can.

    Which I seriously doubt.
  2. #22  
    But that leaves 45%. That is terrible. I am now on my 3rd!!
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Facci
    If you don't like HS, Sprint, or anything else, than don't use it or buy it. It is funny that people that who don't like a movie, show, or radio station to picket it and give it more publicity. If you don't like a TV Show or radio station, change the channel. If you don't like a movie, don't go see it. There are people on this board that all they do is sit around and bash the Treo, HS/Palm or Sprint. If that is the case start your own website: treohaters.com
    I have to point out one sentence in particular: If you don't like a movie, don't go see it. How would you know you liked it or not without seeing it?

    The problem with this attitude is how are you supposed to know? You can get opinions and read boards, but in the end it is up to you to make the judgement whether something is good or not. And by that time, you've already given the company your money.

    C
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    BTW - your STUPID ad hominem attack on ME might make you feel warm-n-fuzzy about your to-be-broken TREO 600, but it changes no facts nor even begins to address my POSTS.

    Get off your ****ing high-horse, read the POSTS, and respond to them.

    If you can.

    Which I seriously doubt.
    My, my - we do have a temper.

    Any poll generated at a fan site is going to be suspect, since the pool of potential voters is narrowed considerably. Second, anyone who's been around forums of any kind know that the aggrieved take the most interest in the put down polls. Therefore, the results are going to be extremely skewed.

    If the general failure rate was even remotely close to your poll results, Handspring/PalmOne would be tarred-and-feathered by the financial press. Analysts have been predicting Palm had/has one foot in the grave since the first Tungsten models. Instead, they can't wait to see Handspring tie up the Verizon account with the 610 model and take an even bigger lead in the converged pda/cell phone space.

    It's no more valid that you've replaced four 600's, than for me to trumpet that my Nov. 03 model is still going strong. The poll is no more than anecdotal evidence, just as our personal experiences are. A huge failure rate wouldn't escape the financial press on a public company, much less Sprint giving them the boot for all the return/repair problems that would generate for them.

    You're riding pretty tall in the saddle of that high horse yourself...
  5. #25  
    I did not participate in the poll though I consider it a valid poll due to the number of folks who did participate in it.

    It is not ==my== poll.

    As mentioned, which you in your need to pay attention to a poster rather than a post overlooked, even if the poll is wrong by 100% the results are outrageous and accurately reflect the Subject of THIS thread (also started by someone else).

    BTW - the post of mine that you responded to was made in February. Since then MANY of those who already took the poll and responded, say, "twice" have had to return their replacements but cannot respond to the poll again. Think about it.

    Oh...and ignore posters - they're irrelevant - posts are important.

    So get off YOUR ****ing TREO-is-perfect fantasy and pay attention to reality.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    I did not participate in the poll though I consider it a valid poll due to the number of folks who did participate in it.

    It is not ==my== poll.

    As mentioned, which you in your need to pay attention to a poster rather than a post overlooked, even if the poll is wrong by 100% the results are outrageous and accurately reflect the Subject of THIS thread (also started by someone else).

    BTW - the post of mine that you responded to was made in February. Since then MANY of those who already took the poll and responded, say, "twice" have had to return their replacements but cannot respond to the poll again. Think about it.

    Oh...and ignore posters - they're irrelevant - posts are important.

    So get off YOUR ****ing TREO-is-perfect fantasy and pay attention to reality.
    Well, I see your mastery of asterisks is improving....

    The number of responders to a poll is irrelevant to its validity. If I asked 1000 buggy manufacturers whether the Model T was great or not, and 900 said it was junk and not as reliable as a horse, would that make it valid?

    Sorry you've been plagued by lemons, but I'll stand by my analysis - Wall Street would savage PalmOne if the real return rate was anywhere near a relevant benchmark, and Verizon wouldn't consider touching it. Carriers have enough problems with customers without volume return numbers. Those facts speak louder than all the responders in the poll. It's not me living in a fantasy world...
    Last edited by dstrauss; 04/26/2004 at 12:23 PM.
  7. #27  
    For those of you who don't know SeldomVisitor, he is a known short on PalmOne stock, and apparently not a very good one. He shorted Palmone stock when it was trading around $10, and it is now trading around $19. I don't know if he is still shorting PalmOne stock right at this moment, but you can go to Yahoo Finance's Palmone message board and look up all the posts under the name of hengeem, who also happens to be our very own SeldomVisitor.

    I don't know what Palm ever did to SeldomVisitor/Hengeem, but he sure is bitter toward the company no matter how good the news is. I am not saying that PalmOne is the great company in the world.....far from it. But let's at least try to to somewhat objective.
  8. #28  
    Please note that Rome is completely incorrect about my trading positions in PLMO stock and has continued to perpetuate this known-by-him/her-incorrect bull**** because he is incapable of addressing posts so must attack posters.

    Now that we know who I am not, has the failure rate of TREOs changed?

    No?

    How suirprising!

    Aren't ad hominem attacks the perfect proof that TREOs don't fail at all?

    No?

    How about that!

    In any case, don't EVER EVER believe anything anyone posts about anything unless they can provide links to external information outside their control. This especially applies to ad hominem attacks.

    Hey! Here's a link outside of MY control:

    -- http://discuss.treocentral.com/poll....lts&pollid=598

    Enjoy!

    (though not containing a hundred or so more responses due to the forum crash it still reflects the latest results)
  9. #29  
    Hi,
    I will once again encourage people to put SeldomVisitor on your ignore list. Thank you so much Treo Central for having this feature. I really feel bad for people who have joined this forum and are being pulled into this fool's comments and this is the only reason that I am writing this. I have to say that it has been so nice not to see his posts especially because he does not even own a Treo 600, but always puts it down. It would be one thing to have something and be upset about your purchase, and complain about it. But for such a foolish person to just come here to start trouble. Why? It it is called having no life what so ever. Why bother. I am bothering for the people who are part of this forum. The people who come here to help and learn are why I come here. I really love coming to this site to learn new things which is great. If someone needs help, no problem unless it would be an answer that could be easily searched for. I really think that you can find the answers first by searching. The real reason that I came to this post was about the durability of my Treo 600. I have heard of all of the problems that people have had with Handspring products. This again may be rare- Handspring Prism- No problems at all. Treo 300- One problem, stylus got stuck. taken care of easily. Treo 600 purchased in the beginning of November no problems at all. I have about 6 different cases and rarely use any of them. I mostly use it with only G2 screen protector. It has been though 3 car accidents on my passenger seat being thrown forward (none of the accidents were my fault). Being dropped at least 20 times since I have owned it (some with me just tossing it and others accidentally dropped from at a maximum waist high) and no defects whatsoever. I truly could not live without it and I may be in the minority. It is my phone, mp3 player, alarm clock, iternet when I am out with web viewer, internet with my laptop, and streaming audio. I know what could be upgraded on this , but for everything that it has is irreplaceable. Sorry for the long post
  10. #30  
    Did you check the Subject of this thread?

    Are posts relevant to that Subject...you know...relevant?

    > ...are being pulled into this fool's comments...

    I humbly request that you point out a post of mine to this thread that is either incorrect or irrelevant or does NOT lean WAY over backwards trying to be neutral about the TREO 600. This is not an insignificant request. You and others of your ilk, unable to address the real problem here as noted by the Subject and topic of this thread, instead try for some very strange reason to divert attention to an irrelevant poster rather than the topic at hand.

    Okay, now the attention is stupidly on me rather than the Subject of the thread - so go ahead, point out the incorrect or misleading post that ==I've== made in this thread.

    The gauntlet is on the ground - pick it up.
  11. #31  
    I used to feel the same way. Until my Treo had the buzzing problem. It's easy to discount the problems other people are having as the "rare" cases. This is because there are other companies we deal with that have failures as rare cases.

    When it happens to you, it becomes personal. lvigp mentions that their treo is irreplaceable. Imagine that irreplaceable device gets a buzzing noise so bad, people you call or who call you refuse to talk to you on it. Or on some of the other problems mention, the speakerphone speaker crackles, or the earpeice speaker fails completely.

    Now your irreplaceable device won't function as a phone. To make matters worse, the cell provider washes their hands of it and points you to handspring/palmone. PalmOne's CSRs are in a country where English is not their first language, and a replacement is said to go out in 7 to 10 business days. They don't give you a status website, you have to find it on TreoCentral's discussion board, and every time you go look, they pushed your ship date back another week.

    So now you're out your irreplaceable device for 7 - whenever business days. Is this acceptable?

    The poll whether acceptable or not has one glaring statement of fact on it no matter what the numbers really mean. There are respondants on it that are on their 3rd + device. It's one thing to have a faulty device, get it replaced, and be a happy camper. What's the explaination for 3 or more?

    I know that the answer might be that those people are being too critical and should get another phone. But considering that this is one of the most expensive phones on the market shouldn't we be critical? We're being asked to pay more for the phone because it is more than a phone, it is a PDA as well. So instead of spending potentially nothing for a Nokia that you know will work, you are asked to shell out 300 - 600 USD for a device that's supposed to do both. So what you end up paying for is something that might do both for a few months and then stop, but that's what we get for buying a bleeding edge phone?

    The answer may not be griping about it on an enthusiast board, but I do not believe that complacency or minimizing of the problem is the answer either.

    C
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    Did you check the Subject of this thread?

    Are posts relevant to that Subject...you know...relevant?

    > ...are being pulled into this fool's comments...

    I humbly request that you point out a post of mine to this thread that is either incorrect or irrelevant or does NOT lean WAY over backwards trying to be neutral about the TREO 600. This is not an insignificant request. You and others of your ilk, unable to address the real problem here as noted by the Subject and topic of this thread, instead try for some very strange reason to divert attention to an irrelevant poster rather than the topic at hand.

    Okay, now the attention is stupidly on me rather than the Subject of the thread - so go ahead, point out the incorrect or misleading post that ==I've== made in this thread.

    The gauntlet is on the ground - pick it up.
    Your posts in this thread are proof themselves of both incorrect and misleading information, because you extrapolate the recurring problems of a handful of users as proof the Treo 600 is a worthless product.

    No one, myself included, claims the Treo 600 is the second coming. No technical product is, or ever will be, perfect. What I object to is the irrational rantings and misleading others that this product is inferior, when it's not.

    BTW - I got skinned alive in the drop from $30 per share to $9 on the original Palm stock, so it's not an issue of prejudice toward their devices. What's your motive?
  13. #33  
    I believe I've said both here and on Yahoo that the TREO 600 is cool.

    But this thread, like it or not, is NOT about the TREO's coolness - it is about the horrendous quality control of PalmOne/Handspring.

    ======

    > ...BTW - I got skinned alive in the drop from $30 per share
    > to $9 on the original Palm stock, so it's not an issue of prejudice
    > toward their devices...

    On the contrary - if you are an existing Bagholder in the stock of PLMO then it very much would make you prejudiced toward all devices put out by that manufacturer - you NEED the price to get back up simply to recover your skin.

    > ...What's your motive?

    As always - and as I've noted thousands of times on Yahoo (!!!), when discussing technical issues (such as this thread) my motive is reality, not fantasy. When Bagholders such as yourself try to divert a thread from the reality being discussed to something else that gets my scruff up and I pointedly note what's going on. Perhaps the language I use doesn't make you warm-n-fuzzy - too ****ing bad! A return rate of 50+% REALLY must not make you feel warm-n-fuzzy!

    If you want to discuss TREO's coolness I heartily encourage you to do so - there used to be a thread around here somewhere discussing just that sort of thing! Please note - I did NOT post to that thread about failure rates, etc, because that thread wasn't about that Subject.

    In fact, check ANY post of mine (that isn't responding to personal attacks) and you'll see they're consistently on-topic - because that's the way I =want= them to be.

    So let's get THIS thread back to being on-topic, eh?

    =====

    Addendum - a post (one of VERY many similar ones) from Yahoo addressing Yet Another Bagholder Who Was More Interested In Posters Than The Topic At Hand:

    -- http://finance.messages.yahoo.com/bb...on=m&mid=61727

    What goes around, comes around, eh?
    Last edited by SeldomVisitor; 04/27/2004 at 07:36 AM.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    I believe I've said both here and on Yahoo that the TREO 600 is cool.

    But this thread, like it or not, is NOT about the TREO's coolness - it is about the horrendous quality control of PalmOne/Handspring.

    ======

    > ...BTW - I got skinned alive in the drop from $30 per share
    > to $9 on the original Palm stock, so it's not an issue of prejudice
    > toward their devices...

    On the contrary - if you are an existing Bagholder in the stock of PLMO then it very much would make you prejudiced toward all devices put out by that manufacturer - you NEED the price to get back up simply to recover your skin.

    > ...What's your motive?

    As always - and as I've noted thousands of times on Yahoo (!!!), when discussing technical issues (such as this thread) my motive is reality, not fantasy. When Bagholders such as yourself try to divert a thread from the reality being discussed to something else that gets my scruff up and I pointedly note what's going on. Perhaps the language I use doesn't make you warm-n-fuzzy - too ****ing bad! A return rate of 50+% REALLY must not make you feel warm-n-fuzzy!

    If you want to discuss TREO's coolness I heartily encourage you to do so - there used to be a thread around here somewhere discussing just that sort of thing! Please note - I did NOT post to that thread about failure rates, etc, because that thread wasn't about that Subject.

    In fact, check ANY post of mine (that isn't responding to personal attacks) and you'll see they're consistently on-topic - because that's the way I =want= them to be.

    So let's get THIS thread back to being on-topic, eh?

    =====

    Addendum - a post (one of VERY many similar ones) from Yahoo addressing Yet Another Bagholder Who Was More Interested In Posters Than The Topic At Hand:

    -- http://finance.messages.yahoo.com/bb...on=m&mid=61727

    What goes around, comes around, eh?
    So now that we are keenly aware of the level of both your vocabulary and intellect, let's indeed get back on topic:

    You assert the following conclusion:

    "But this thread, like it or not, is NOT about the TREO's coolness - it is about the horrendous quality control of PalmOne/Handspring."

    based upon your claim of:

    "A return rate of 50+% REALLY must not make you feel warm-n-fuzzy!"

    which in turn is based upon an unsceintific, self-reporting poll in a message forum on Treocentral. Are you getting the point yet, or do I need to spell it out for you. Your conclusion does not flow from the meager evidence you recite. There is no proof of a 50% failure rate, and no proof of "horrendous quality control."

    How does it feel up there hanging from your own pitard?
  15. #35  
    I would think a poll of hundreds of TREO owners (that thay cannot update once they've submitted an answer, BTW, thus is a LOWball estimate of failure rate) is an excellent datapoint for the topic at hand.

    There is (or perhaps "was" due to the forum crash) another post by another user stating the "internal return rate" at PalmOne for the TREO 600 was 20+%.

    One datapoint - given NO other datapoints from "the other side" - is sufficient for me to pay attention. TWO datapoints are enough for me to be a believer.

    =====

    You don't like my vocabulary!? HA HA HA!

    DUH.

    Okay, I'll dumb it down JES FER YOO!

    Sheesh.

    It never stops - no ability to address a post, attack SOMETHING AND ANYTHING about the poster instead.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    You don't like my vocabulary!? HA HA HA!

    DUH.

    Okay, I'll dumb it down JES FER YOO!

    Sheesh.

    It never stops - no ability to address a post, attack SOMETHING AND ANYTHING about the poster instead.
    You don't need to dumb down any lower than your usual sarcasm Seldom - look who's not responding to the issue.

    This closed environment poll is not a valid datapoint and you know it. Where's your answer to my very first response: if the return rate were anywhere near 20%, much less 50%, Wall Street analysts would have tanked the PalmOne stock long ago. You can't escape the financial proctologists on something so fundamentally tied to inventory levels, refurbished units, sales return rates, and cost of goods sold. That's about as basic an accounting issue as you can get. That's not anecdotal evidence from disgruntled users. That's accounting and finance 101 - surely even you could understand that.
  17. #37  
    dstrauss is right. I never replaced my treo and i totally ignored your poll. I know many others did, too. Generally, statisticians know that people with no strong opinion don't respond to surveys. people who return their treos have a strong opinion and responded to yours, hence the high %.

    dstrauss hit it on the head; PalmOne doesn't have a high return rate, because the financial analysts would figure it out. I myself am an analyst, and I would notice inventories going out with no revenue coming in for them. Such a thing (returns and new units) comes under warranty expense. PalmOne has bigtime analysts (and their staff of very smart junior analysts and research assistants) dissecting their financials. i loved the term "fianancial proctologists"

    Seldom, I know you think you're right, but your logic is just fundamentally flawed. TreoCentral is not the world, it is a group of nerdy treo users with time on their hands.
  18. #38  
    steven975:

    No professional discourtesy intended (glad you enjoyed the term). You know all too well that in the post-Enron era, things like this will not escape the analysts. And your final comment is a classic nail in the coffin:

    "TreoCentral is not the world, it is a group of nerdy treo users with time on their hands."

    How true! That's me (all of us for that matter)
  19. #39  
    The point is that if the poll is ===100%=== incorrect (above not below) then the resulting 20+% matches the OTHER datapoint about the 20+% internal return rate!

    That's good enough for me - ESPECIALLY since there literally are NO datapoints anywhere else suggesting the return rate is reasonable! (indeed, all - and I mean ALL - of the anecdotal non-quantified evidence to date - such as "ease of return" to Sprint stores - STRONGLY suggest that the two very good datapoints we have are EXCELLENT datapoints).

    Like it or not.

    If you have a hard number for the return rate that is significantly less than 20%, please give it! (and its source)
  20. #40  
    I'm not a statistics major but is it really an overall return rate of 50% anyway?
    And even if it is, the statistics (of the unscientific poll) suggest the first replacement works fine a vast majority of the time.
    I'd also be more interested in the amount of defective Sprint versus all other phones.
    More often than not when I see a post complaining of problems it's not a Sprint user.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions