1.    #1  
    Hi everyone!

Some of you have requested that I update my PocketProtector family of products for the Treo 600. A beta for each product is now available. You can get the PocketProtector+ beta here or the PocketProtector beta here .

For those of you not familiar with PocketProtector, it is essentially a keyguard upgrade. It is a utility that prevents your Palm from being turned on by an accidental button press. You can choose from three possible settings for each button:

1. On - The button functions normally and will turn on your Palm as usual.
    2. Off - The button will not turn on your Palm but will function normally once the Palm is on.
    3. 2X (MultiPress) - The button must be pressed twice within a specified time period to turn on your Palm but will function normally once the Palm is on. The MultiPress feature is configureable and allows you to specify how many times the button must be pressed as well as the timeout period.

PocketProtector+ has all of the features of PocketProtector and includes ScreenDim. ScreenDim can automatically dim the screen during periods of inactivity. It has an effect similar to that of pressing Option-P on your Treo keyboard.

Let me know if you have any ideas for improvement for either product, or if you encounter any problems.

Sincerely,
    Geoff Akens
    www.geakware.com or mobile.geakware.com - Software for your Treo 600/650.
    Thanks Geoff. I'll let you know what I find.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Geoff:

It seems to be working fine, but I've noticed a couple of little oddities. The first is, I think, internal to PP but really minor. When using the D-pad to set the options for each button, the down button moves the selection left to right, the same as the right button does. And Up does the same thing as Left.

There's also an interesting interaction with the Profiles application (profiles.prc). Profiles has an option that pops up a brief message on screen whenever the Treo is powered on. And it apparently doesn't pass any keystrokes on to the OS until that notification message goes away.

With profiles notification turned OFF, and PP set to require a double keypress, a double press of a hard key turns the Treo on and switches to the app assigned to that hard key. That's what I would expect.

But with the profiles.prc status notification enabled. The double press turns the Treo on, but does NOT switch to the app assigned to the keystroke. But with PP disabled, a press on a hard key does switch to the desired application, even with profiles' notifier enabled.

I'm not sure if this is profiles' problem, or yours. Each app works fine by itself, but they seem to be fighting of the hard button action.

Oh, one more thing. The option for the 5-way navigator doesn't do anything. My guess is that this is for Tungsten devices and not the Treo, right?

Otherwise, so far, so good. I like it much better than the built in keyguard because I can power on the Treo with the top button without having to worry hitting an extra key, yet it's unlikely I'll accidently turn it on in my pocket.

(You know, if the built in Keyguard just had an option to allow the top power button to bypass Keyguard, I'd be happy.)
    Bob Meyer
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by meyerweb
    Geoff:

It seems to be working fine, but I've noticed a couple of little oddities. The first is, I think, internal to PP but really minor. When using the D-pad to set the options for each button, the down button moves the selection left to right, the same as the right button does. And Up does the same thing as Left.
    This was by design, though I may be able to change it.

There's also an interesting interaction with the Profiles application (profiles.prc). Profiles has an option that pops up a brief message on screen whenever the Treo is powered on. And it apparently doesn't pass any keystrokes on to the OS until that notification message goes away.

With profiles notification turned OFF, and PP set to require a double keypress, a double press of a hard key turns the Treo on and switches to the app assigned to that hard key. That's what I would expect.

But with the profiles.prc status notification enabled. The double press turns the Treo on, but does NOT switch to the app assigned to the keystroke. But with PP disabled, a press on a hard key does switch to the desired application, even with profiles' notifier enabled.

I'm not sure if this is profiles' problem, or yours. Each app works fine by itself, but they seem to be fighting of the hard button action.
    I'll look into the conflict with profiles.prc to see if there's anything I can do to fix it.

Oh, one more thing. The option for the 5-way navigator doesn't do anything. My guess is that this is for Tungsten devices and not the Treo, right?
    Correct. PocketProtector was designed to work on most OS 5 devices. As such, it has features that don't apply to all devices.

Otherwise, so far, so good. I like it much better than the built in keyguard because I can power on the Treo with the top button without having to worry hitting an extra key, yet it's unlikely I'll accidently turn it on in my pocket.

(You know, if the built in Keyguard just had an option to allow the top power button to bypass Keyguard, I'd be happy.)
    Thanks for taking the time to check it out and for all the great information.

Geoff
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by meyerweb

Bob,

I did a little investigating with profiles.prc installed. I don't think there's anything I can do to fix this. However, you can get around it by changing the MultiPress timeout value from one second to two or three. Then, wait for the notification to disappear before pressing the button a second time.

Geoff
    Originally posted by geakware

Bob,

I did a little investigating with profiles.prc installed. I don't think there's anything I can do to fix this. However, you can get around it by changing the MultiPress timeout value from one second to two or three. Then, wait for the notification to disappear before pressing the button a second time.

Geoff
    I didn't think you'd be able to fix it from your end. Increasing the timeout value is a thought, but I wonder how much that increases the risk of it accidently turning on in my pocket. I guess I'll play around with it and see.

I'll let you know if I run into any other issues over the next day or two.

Thanks,
    Bob Meyer