1.    #1  
    I am getting a treo 600 but I don't know anything about wireless service. AT&T, sprint, and tmobile are all available in my area and I was leaning towards either sprint or tmobile. Could someone post the data transfer rates of sprint and tmobile and maybe give a suggestion from personal exeriance. Thanks.
  2.    #2  
    anyone?
    it's been discussed for years, much less in the last week.

oh, and it might help you if you let someone know where you are for the differences. You think just because you have one or another you will automatically get faster xfer rate? What if you were to be travelling away from the closest tower? It's not magic man! Does your cell phone (if you've used one) always have a great signal? in tunnels and elevators too? Since there are only 2 types of wireless treos, perhaps you would read those threads (like Treo Sprint/Verizon or Treo GSM att, cing, tmo) that will save us all some time and bandwidth! And you wont look so silly!
    Last edited by christo1970; 02/25/2004 at 12:18 AM.
    Christo

"it's not the quantity, but the quality"

There are NO Limits
  4.    #4  
    *points to the name* I don't care if I look silly, I've looked through alot of other theads without finding anything relevent and that takes forever when you don't know specifically want you're looking for. All I was asking is someone smarter than me to educate me with some of the general differences of the 2 services. Of course I know signal strengths differ based on location but if I'm not mistaken the 2 providers use different methods of transfer and I don't know anything about that
    Service Providers

Sprint PCS and Verizon
    US CDMA Carriers:

US GSM
    T-Mobile, Cingular, AT&T :

Worldwide GSM
    Other GSM providers such as Fido, Orange

These are copied from the MAIN DISCUSSION PAGE!!!!!!

where exactly ARE you looking???
    Christo

"it's not the quantity, but the quality"

There are NO Limits
    Traveling around the country I have foud that no carrier has the best signal/sound/speed in all areas. Determine where you will spend most of your time, then talk to users of each carrier in that area for their own experience. Worked for me.
    Welcome, newbie.

There is no way we can provide an accurate picture of the data transfer rates. They will vary by location, time of day, weather, sun spots, flocks of geese, the way you hold your mouth, ...you name it.

If you're asking whether there is a fundamental difference in performance based on the technology that each provider uses, the answer is "no" from a basic standpoint. But there are some differences depending on what features you use most. Also the costs (for data plans) will vary greatly from carrier to carrier (both inside and outside the U.S.)

Primary differences:

Sprint:
    - CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access) voice signal
    - 1xRTT (single carrier (1x) radio transmission technology) data signal
    - Digital signal at 800MHz (digital roam) and 1900MHz (Sprint native. Vision data service only operates on the 1900MHz signal.)
    - Sprint operates in the U.S. only. (Some international roaming agreements are in place...IF you go to a country that offers CDMA...those are far fewer than for GSM.)
    - Phone device, itself, must be provisioned for use on the carrier's network.
    - Faster individual file download speed (latency with web page access on smaller pages makes the difference in speed negligable when compared to GPRS in some cases.) Large file downloads are definately faster than GPRS.
    - SMS text messaging has been added to service (It was a kludge through a web page prior to Sprint's new service rollout.)
    - Voice calls will go to voicemail without notification if an active data transfer is in progress. (This may change as Sprint fully integrates SMS, but I have yet to see a change.) It's inherant to the CDMA standard.
    - Plans offer unlimited data for additonal $15 a month (some "grandfathered" users have it for $10/month.)

T-Mobile and other GSM providers:
    - GSM (Global System for Mobile communications) voice signal
    - GPRS (General Packet Radio Service) data signal
    - Digital signal at 850MHz, 900MHz, 1800MHz, and 1900MHz
    - Operates world-wide
    - Utilizes a SIM (Subscriber Identity Module) chip which is provisioned for the carrier and can be swapped between GSM-capable phones. Allows a customer to swap phones without swapping service (assuming that the carrier didn't electronically "lock" the chip to their particular service), or to swap service and keep the same phone simply by swapping the chip.
    - SMS is integrated and part of all carriers' service (operates across all GSM carriers transparently)
    - Voice calls will ring through while an active data transfer is in progress (depending on carrier implementation). Data transfer will be suspended while talking and resume once call is ended (GSM Class B device implementation. No Class A devices are supported on current U.S. networks. Class A provides for simultaneous voice and data transfer.)
    - T-Mobile offers an unlimited data plan for $20 a month. Other carriers offer unlimited plans, but they are much more expensive (some as high as $80 a month.) or they will offer smaller chunks of data (10MB for example) with a per kilobyte charge after you have exceeded the plan's included data transfer amount.

Welcome to the world of mobile communications.
    Last edited by Insp_Gadget; 02/25/2004 at 01:06 PM.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
  8.    #8  
    thank you inspector, that clears alot of the questions I had up
    and thank you scott I'll ask around in my area.