Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Don't have the link on me, but I've been using it for over a week now and it blows Pocket Tunes away in just about every conceivable way. Pocket Tunes better get a new business strategy. Tough to compete with a free product that is better than yours.
    Originally posted by masonuc
    Don't have the link on me..
    Here's the link:
    http://www.realnetworks.com/industri...s/player/palm/
    It says streaming isn't supported. "At this time, only local playback is enabled. You can not "stream" content over an Internet connection"
    Can I get mp3 music on my treo 270?
    Any possibillity or anyone tried having both installed the same time? No good idea I guess?
    Could someone post the prc file? Bc you can only register which seems to be obligatory to download the player if you are a US resident.
    the subject says it all. Does the real player support wma or just mp3?
    I have both RealPlayer and Pocket-Tunes Deluxe ....They work fine together. I prefer Pocket-Tunes though.

-CK
    Well, I downloaded the Real player today, and have been checking it out. I have been a long-time user (and big fan) of Pocket Tunes, so I have a good point of comparison.

Both have their individual good and not-so-good points. My initial take on them both (and this isn't a complete list, just off the top of my head):

Unique advantages of PTunes:
    - ability to stop a song, leave the app, and upon restarting, the song picks up right where you paused - REAL starts back at the beginning of the song - kinda clunky.

- background console - can bring up the mini-console even while in another app. Cool. Not as important to me as the song thing above.

- you can mash the center nav pad like twice and bring up playlists (although I don't ever use Playlists, since they only operate on the handheld, and if you change out songs, that's kind of a useless thing with PT)

Unique advantages of REAL (based on one day's use and observations)
    - tighter, of course, integration with the desktop. (See below for transfer comments) - to me, the only real value here is that you can see the contents of your SD card on the REAL desktop, while the card is in the treo, and the treo is in its cradle, which mine is , all the time. A good way to see what's on the card, instantly, rather than taking out the card, putting it into a reader. More iPod-ish. Somewhat cool. You can also see the available space on the card.

- Songs are listed as a big list, rather than how they show (for me) with PocketTunes, in a folder mode. This is probably due to how I drag the folders (albums) over via the card reader. Bottom line - based on how I do it, and since I don't create play lists, I end up only being able to listen to one album at a time, and then I have to go and 'open' another album. Again, this is probably my own doing, but still - it bugs me.

- What I don't like about REAL:
    - seems like songs take MUCH longer to 'sync' over than just doing a drag/drop via card reader. So much so that I'm not even using the sync/transfer process. Just takes for-freaking-ever.

So what's the bottom line? Well I'm not sure - they have their own good and bad. I'll pay around a little and see if a clear winner emerges. (kinda bummed about spending the $20 or $25 on PT, though - REAL was a litle late to the game here)
    Well, I downloaded the Real player today, and have been checking it out. I have been a long-time user (and big fan) of Pocket Tunes, so I have a good point of comparison.

Both have their individual good and not-so-good points. My initial take on them both (and this isn't a complete list, just off the top of my head):

- ability to stop a song, leave the app, and upon restarting, the song picks up right where you paused - REAL starts back at the beginning of the song - kinda clunky.

- background console - can bring up the mini-console even while in another app. Cool. Not as important to me as the song thing above.

- you can mash the center nav pad like twice and bring up playlists (although I don't ever use Playlists, since they only operate on the handheld, and if you change out songs, that's kind of a useless thing with PT)

- tighter, of course, integration with the desktop. (See below for transfer comments) - to me, the only real value here is that you can see the contents of your SD card on the REAL desktop, while the card is in the treo, and the treo is in its cradle, which mine is , all the time. A good way to see what's on the card, instantly, rather than taking out the card, putting it into a reader. More iPod-ish. Somewhat cool. You can also see the available space on the card.

- Songs are listed as a big list, rather than how they show (for me) with PocketTunes, in a folder mode. This is probably due to how I drag the folders (albums) over via the card reader. Bottom line - based on how I do it, and since I don't create play lists, I end up only being able to listen to one album at a time, and then I have to go and 'open' another album. Again, this is probably my own doing, but still - it bugs me.

- seems like songs take MUCH longer to 'sync' over than just doing a drag/drop via card reader. So much so that I'm not even using the sync/transfer process. Just takes for-freaking-ever.

So what's the bottom line? Well I'm not sure - they have their own good and bad. I'll pay around a little and see if a clear winner emerges. (kinda bummed about spending the $20 or $25 on PT, though - REAL was a litle late to the game here)

pocket tunes deluxe beats the pants off real player.

no shoutcast on real player - which equals a no contest.

I tried real player too, and I saw no real advantages. anyway, my vote for pocket tunes.
    Well, true - no Shoutcast on REAL. But what might be a critical feature to some may not be that important to others. I used Shoutcast some, but found that it just ended up being a novelty for me (with the other issue being that I can't receive any calls while online with Shoutcast). So, I don't use it ever, and I don't miss it, in my little usage thus far, of REAL.
    We'll see which one wins the day in the long run (not that it really matters in the big scheme of things - after all, it's just some software app, not world peace)
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Roberttreo
    Could someone post the prc file? Bc you can only register which seems to be obligatory to download the player if you are a US resident.
    Hope this works:

RealPlayer for Palm OS
    Treo 650 unlocked & locked with Cingular
    I've noticed that when I am using realplayer and a call comes in, I cannot click on the answer button. It is like realplayer won't let the phone app take over completely.

Has anybody else noticed this behavior?

-Gadgetpro
    Originally posted by Exciter

Hope this works:

RealPlayer for Palm OS
    Hey, thanks...
    --Mathew
    Tried both and prefer pTunes too. The interface on the Real Player sucks. Plu there are all these hidden files that you have to install with the main file.

Originally posted by ckonkel
    I have both RealPlayer and Pocket-Tunes Deluxe ....They work fine together. I prefer Pocket-Tunes though.

-CK
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    PT wins, no question. The sound quality on MP3 playback is the same. the feature set and UI make RP a pebble to PT's Everest. PT is welL with the $20 and then some.
    Been trying them both together for a while. For me, the best feature of PT is the equalizer. I find most straight MP3s don't sound great on either player without making some adjustments to the sound quality. RP doesn't have this feature at all - so all songs end up sounding (to me) a bit "tinny" and not full at all. While I don't expect my Treo to ever sound as good as my iPod, I can't stand listening to music without the equalizer's help.

The inticing side of RP is the desktop connectivity - however, it's also just barely there. There are speed issues, and ease-of-use issues that only add a slight advantage.

My advice to the Pocket Tunes author, is to add a nice desktop component to the package - enabling it work with card-readers OR the Treo in the dock... and be better than Real.

I barely use shoutcast... it's a cool feature, and fun to show off with - but not an everyday thing.

Z
    Haven't tried REAL for Palm yet. However if it is like the PC version I probably won't like it. I think it is one of those aggressive programs that like to take over all of your media content and you are constantly being nagged to buy the upgrade. I'm married....I get nagged enough!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast