Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've been reading this site & forum since the Treo 600 was announced. This smartphone is something I've been wanting for quite some time, seeing as it integrates essentially two devices into one nice little package for me.

Basically, it all comes down to...is there any possible way to use the Sprint CDMA version of the phone here in Canada on Bell Mobility's network? I have read that the GSM version can be used on Rogers, if it is unlocked. But I don't really see the reason why the CDMA version can't be used here.

I spoke to a Bell representative today, but he seemed pretty clueless as to what is and isn't available for use on the network. So I'd like to find out if anyone here has learned anything, heard anything, or generally can give me some sense of hope. I'm looking at purchasing the Tungsten C since Palm has a $100 US/$130 CDN rebate going on right now, and that would be pretty close to what I want.
    Rogers should be supporting the Treo next month.
  3. djb
    Been using the Cingular version (Its GSM, bought in U.S.) on Rogers in Toronto with absolutely no problemo!

Just stick in a valid Rogers SIM card and you're good to go. The phone is UNLOCKED and quad (!!) band GSM....works in U.S. and Europe too.

Web browsing works perfectly....

Enjoy....
    I use mine on the FIDO network without any problem. CDMA phones are complicated because they need soecial program. GSM phones are the best. Swap the SIM and voila you are business,
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?
    Good morning, using Fido on my Treo 600 I am able to connect to the internet using your settings however I am unable to connect to my mail portals to recieve mail. What settings should I be adding/changing?
    good morning to you too.
    Quote Originally Posted by mkaron1
    Good morning, using Fido on my Treo 600 I am able to connect to the internet using your settings however I am unable to connect to my mail portals to recieve mail. What settings should I be adding/changing?

Does your mail portal(s) support POP3? If so, then enter the ISP's POP3 Protocol (for incoming mail). For receiving, you need to use Fido's SMTP (for outgoing mail) Protocol. Since you are using Fido's network for Internet access, SMTP Protocol doesn't change.

For example:

Sympatico
    POP3: pop8.sympatico.ca
    SMTP: gprs.fido.ca

I hope this helps.
    Hi There,

I've had my Treo 600 for about two months since it first came available from Rogers.
    I've set up my mail via my Sympatico account using the same settings I'm using at home on my PC. The problem I'm having is that I can download e-mail fine, but I can't send messages using pop1.sympatico.ca.

Sympatico of course is useless as they tell me it's a Hardware issue and I should talk to Rogers. Is anyone else having this problem and if so do they know how to fix it?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by jonyblaze
    Hi There,

I've had my Treo 600 for about two months since it first came available from Rogers.
    I've set up my mail via my Sympatico account using the same settings I'm using at home on my PC. The problem I'm having is that I can download e-mail fine, but I can't send messages using pop1.sympatico.ca.

Sympatico of course is useless as they tell me it's a Hardware issue and I should talk to Rogers. Is anyone else having this problem and if so do they know how to fix it?

Thanks!
    jonyblaze,
    Use the following settings....

Incoming (POP3) Server: pop1.sympatico.ca
    Outgoing (SMTP) Server: smtp.rogerswirelessdata.com

Since you are using Rogers Wireless Network to send out email, you need to use their SMTP Server protocol and not Sympatico. At home, you use Sympatico's Highspeed Network, thus you use their SMTP (smtp1.sympatico.ca).

I hope this helps - RC
    Quote Originally Posted by mkaron1
    I also have a Treo 600 on FIDO with "issues" get my rogers.com email. I have inputed rogers' pop3 server and FIDO's SMTP server ID's with no success. Can anybody help??
    The good news is that since rogers is now linked to Yahoo, you can access your rogers email via the web (text only) at http://wap.oa.yahoo.com. but it would still be better to "send and receive" from treo's mail application.
    [QUOTE=Mikeottawa]I also have a Treo 600 on FIDO with "issues" get my rogers.com email. I have inputed rogers' pop3 server and FIDO's SMTP server ID's with no success. Can anybody help??QUOTE]

Mikeottawa,
    Give this a try....

Incoming (POP3) Server: pop.broadband.rogers.com
    Outgoing (SMTP) Server: gprs.fido.ca

With respect to the user name section, you might have to put your full email address. This was the case when I used Rogers Highspeed Cable last year.

I hope this helps - RC
    Thanks RC,

Those are the settings I have and they don't work. Thank you for the quick reply. Still frustrated.....

Mikeottawa,
    Give this a try....

Incoming (POP3) Server: pop.broadband.rogers.com
    Outgoing (SMTP) Server: gprs.fido.ca

With respect to the user name section, you might have to put your full email address. This was the case when I used Rogers Highspeed Cable last year.

I hope this helps - RC[/QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeottawa
    Thanks RC,

Those are the settings I have and they don't work. Thank you for the quick reply. Still frustrated.....
    Mikeottawa,
    Give these a try. Old Rogers' protocols for checking email/news outside the house. They may still work.

-RC

London
    pop.lndn.phub.net.cable.rogers.com
    smtp.lndn.phub.net.cable.rogers.com
    nntp.lndn.phub.net.cable.rogers.com

Ingersoll/Woodstock
    pop.wdstck.phub.net.cable.rogers.com
    smtp.wdstck.phub.net.cable.rogers.com
    nntp.wdstck.phub.net.cable.rogers.com

Ottawa/Kanata
    pop.flfrd.phub.net.cable.rogers.com
    smtp.flfrd.phub.net.cable.rogers.com

or

pop.slnt.phub.net.cable.rogers.com
    smtp.slnt.phub.net.cable.rogers.com

Mississauga
    pop.wlfdle.phub.net.cable.rogers.com
    smtp.wlfdle.phub.net.cable.rogers.com
    nntp.wlfdle.phub.net.cable.rogers.com

Brantford
    pop.brntfd.phub.net.cable.rogers.com
    smtp.brntfd.phub.net.cable.rogers.com
    nntp.brntfd.phub.net.cable.rogers.com

Toronto
    pop.bloor.phub.net.cable.rogers.com
    smtp.bloor.phub.net.cable.rogers.com
    nntp.bloor.phub.net.cable.rogers.com

and

Toronto/Etobicoke

pop.etob.phub.net.cable.rogers.com
    smtp.etob.phub.net.cable.rogers.com
    nntp.etob.phub.net.cable.rogers.com

Most of these server names seem to resolve to this (note the double "s"
    on ssmtp):

nntp.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com
    ssmtp.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com
    pop.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com

Cambridge

pop.cambr.phub.net.cable.rogers.com
    smtp.cambr.phub.net.cable.rogers.com

Barrie
    pop.basp.phub.net.cable.rogers.com
    smtp.basp.phub.net.cable.rogers.com
    nntp.basp.phub.net.cable.rogers.com
    This ls probably off topic, but I want to sell my Rogers Treo 600, I've only had it for just over a month, but my eyesight is getting poorer so it's hard for me to read the screen. Contract goes with it.

Jay
    jay, how much? 23 months left on the contract I'm assuming?
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Nguyen
    jay, how much? 23 months left on the contract I'm assuming?
    or maybe 35 months left. I saw in a Future Shop ad for a 3 year contract for an additional 50.00 off. That is crazy!

Jay can sell his Treo600 without selling his contract, thus can still use the SIM card (ie: same phone number) on another phone. But then again, he is stuck with a data plan (unless he bought the unit outright).
    I dunno why people would commit themselves to a three year contract, ever. I guess people who never drop their phones on the ground or water, keep it in tip top shape, and never have a need to move on to better technology (just get a free phone... haha.)

Two years is good enough for me, mostly cuz as a valued long time customer of Rogers I get 12 months discount for pre hardware upgrades.
    I purchased a Sprint branded CDMA Treo 600 and reprogrammed it to work on the Telus network here in Vancouver.

Everything works perfectly but I don't get high speed internet access since the phone is programmed in as an "analog" handset (or non-Telus handset) in their switch.
    TELUS SUCKS!

Sorry, just my personal bad experience with them. I'm a Rogers dude all the way.
    I've had my phone number for over 10 years with them and until number portability comes to Canada I'm stuck with TelASS.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast