1. GTI
    To Mac and Palm Users

One of the premier Mac web sites, Macintouch, has started a special report on Palm support for Apple products. There is discussion of why PalmSource would make a move that could be damaging to Palm and Mac users, as well as Palm itself at a time it is fighting to hold market share against Windows Mobile. You can find it at:

http://www.macintouch.com/palm5.html#feb12

Palm HotSync between a Treo 600 and Mac Dual G4 running the Unix-based OSX has worked very well for me. OSX has many powerful networking features and seems to make almost any connection seamless. For the Treo 600 use the Handspring version of Palm Desktop that comes on the Treo CD or download from Handspring/Palm.

It also is possible to HotSync with 3rd party PIM's like Entourage or Now Up-to-Date though I use the Palm Desktop Address application.
    I think what many are missing are that ALL of the solutions today including iSync, Entourage synching, Missing Synch, etc... require the Hotsync software. If Palmsource drops Mac, then no more Hotsync. The developer of missing sync has said they will provide a solution, but I have two problems with that:

1.) They need to develop something completely new since they won't have Hotsync.
    2.) All the third parties won't have a "standard" to use for their own conduits. Unless there is a "standard" synching mechanism, you can be guaranteed to see a decline in the apps that support the Mac for data transfer.

Why Palmsource would do this is utterly beyond me. There are certainly a larger percentage of Mac users with Palms since that's been the only really Mac friendly solutions of the choices out there. When now both Palmsource and palmOne are saying that smartphones are critical to their future, why are they pushing me as a Mac user to look at Symbian based ones which now have a standard synching mechanism via iSync? I just don't get this rational. It's like Palmsource wants to decrease their market share.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    2.) All the third parties won't have a "standard" to use for their own conduits. Unless there is a "standard" synching mechanism, you can be guaranteed to see a decline in the apps that support the Mac for data transfer.

I would think that if Palm drops the Mac Hotsync client then all someone has to do is copy that code and create their own Hotsync app. Granted, i don't claim to understand programming and such, but if HS isn't selling it then it's no longer their stuff and it's fair game, right?
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    Yes, but I don't recall Palmsource generously giving away source code to do this. Also all the basic PIM conduits need to be rewritten so it's not a trivial job at all. Above all though, none of these possible solutions really answers "why are they doing this?". If Palmsource isn't interested in me as a customer, it would be dumb to not look at alternatives.

Originally posted by randyg

I would think that if Palm drops the Mac Hotsync client then all someone has to do is copy that code and create their own Hotsync app. Granted, i don't claim to understand programming and such, but if HS isn't selling it then it's no longer their stuff and it's fair game, right?
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680