Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    From the developers of LightWav mp3/wav Ringtones comes BuzzOff....

Have you ever wanted to block annoying callers, marketers, unknown callers, your boss, friends or even family members? Ever wanted to be left alone and enjoy the peace and quiet times? Now you can with BuzzOff™. BuzzOff™ will monitor all incoming calls and will apply the filters that you have setup to use. If the caller is filtered you will not hear your phone ring. The call would just never happen. If you choose, a logfile will be created for blocked calls.

You can block callers by their phone number, any digit in the phone number, area code, a from and to time to filter the caller, the day of the week from Sunday to Saturday to filter the caller.

BuzzOff™ is simple to use and yet powerful and flexible to keep you in control of who can call you and when.

Features
    -----------

-Works with picture CallerID
    -Block all unknown callers
    -Block any caller's phone number
    -Block caller's area code
    -Wildcard blocking eg: 555*
    -Block on any time of the day
    -Block on all or any day of the week
    -Only allow callers that are in your Contact address database to call you
    -Logfile
    -Filter can be turned on or off very easily

Visit http://www.toysoft.ca to download the demo or purchase.
    I have found a few issues with the app so far. They are listed here.

1 - No Caller ID calls are not handle separately from Blocked Caller ID calls. This is important for obvious reasons. No Caller ID comes up when a person is calling from behind a company phone system and the caller ID information isn't available. Blocked Caller ID means a person has an available caller ID but has chosen to block it. In different situations you will want to handle these calls in different ways.

2 - It seems that the incoming call takes longer to start ringing when Buzzoff is activated. This is a significant issue since Lightwav already delays the recognition of an incoming call a little. Both combined and the phone will ring two times on the callers end before it rings once on my end.

3 - I have a white/blank box covering part of the answer and ignore buttons when buzzoff is enabled. It appears that this is a custom answer/ignore screen that Buzzoff uses. Why?

Good start!
    And it's a more reasonable $14.95.

Sure "CallFilter" does more, but at twice the cost.

This should be a wake-up call to CallFilter, drop your price or loose sales.

Now what about all those who paid $30 for CallFilter....
    Originally posted by dgoodisi
    And it's a more reasonable $14.95.

Sure "CallFilter" does more, but at twice the cost.

This should be a wake-up call to CallFilter, drop your price or loose sales.

Now what about all those who paid $30 for CallFilter....
    It's not always what the app does, but how it does it. There are sometimes different ways to implement different ideas. Just because this program does the same thing as CallFilter doesn't mean it does it the same way.

The bottom line is you can't judge two apps against each other solely by feature list and price - you have to try them and compare.
    That is true... But just because they approach the same problem in different ways, does NOT mean that they cannot be compared.

However the makers of CallFilter have NOT answered any e-mails from me reguarding their app messing up the picture ID screen. However the makers of BuzzOff get back to you really quickly. So let's see, 1/2 the price, and 50x the support... You decide.
    Palm III > Palm IIIC > Handera 330 > Kyocera 6035 & Sony NR70V > Treo 600 > Treo650 & Palm LifeDrive > Modded LifeDrive w/16gig CF > Palm Pre
    This seems like a false comparision--because Callfilter also does the MP3 ringtones. That being the case, the comparision should be between Callfilter and BuzzOff + Lightwav which are, together, about $32.

I don't have either yet, but I am going to buy one or the other; I just got an SD card and am trying to decide. I see VM is promising ver 1.1 of Callfilter soon.

Regards,
    --Mathew
    Just so I understand things - BugOff allows you to filter calls and costs $15. Lightwave allows you to assign wav and mp3 ringtones to various callers and it too costs $15. Is this right, or have I misunderstood things so far? Doesn't CallFilter, which does the equivalent of both apps, go for $30? So if you're comparing apples to apples then the price is a wash, no?

Dunc
    Originally posted by Tavisjohn
    That is true... But just because they approach the same problem in different ways, does NOT mean that they cannot be compared.
    I didn't say they couldn't be compared. I said they SHOULDN'T be compared based SOLELY on price and feature list. Your comment about support is a perfect example.
    Originally posted by mathewlu
    This seems like a false comparision--because Callfilter also does the MP3 ringtones. That being the case, the comparision should be between Callfilter and BuzzOff + Lightwav which are, together, about $32.

I don't have either yet, but I am going to buy one or the other; I just got an SD card and am trying to decide. I see VM is promising ver 1.1 of Callfilter soon.

Regards,
    --Mathew
    It's cool... I would wait until CallFilter - some of the things in the new version (of which I have a copy) make it significantly more stable and configurable than LightWav + BuzzOff combo.

L
    Lee Ladisky
    This app doesn't work for me.
    Tried calling with a friend's cellphone (deleted his number from Contacts first), and all it does is reset the T600. I have all the checkboxes checked BTW.

GSM Treo600
    Firmware: 02.01
    Software: Treo600-1.05-INT
    Hardware: B
    How annoying... Just like CallFilter this app doesn't 'block' as such, it just disables any call notification.

I would really like to see an app that does actually block the call, and send it directly to voicemail without it actually ringing.
    agree MouseyMousey. Nobody has quite got it yet. I'm gonna wait a while before I splash out my cash.
    www.gsmworld.com
    It would not work. I would set up the phone #'s to block and instead of blocking them the phone would ring with the caller id blocked. This is worse than knowing who would be calling! Don't waste your money on BuzzOff!
    I experienced the same problem on my Sprint Treo 600. Ben

Originally posted by Advance The Man
    It would not work. I would set up the phone #'s to block and instead of blocking them the phone would ring with the caller id blocked. This is worse than knowing who would be calling! Don't waste your money on BuzzOff!
    I tried BuzzOff and it made all incomming calls say "Unknown Caller" Why would I want an app that removes caller ID info?
    Palm III > Palm IIIC > Handera 330 > Kyocera 6035 & Sony NR70V > Treo 600 > Treo650 & Palm LifeDrive > Modded LifeDrive w/16gig CF > Palm Pre
  16.    #16  
    apparently BuzzOff does not work well with Sprint. BuzzOff right nows only works with GSM providers
    Oh well, let us know when us Sprint users can have a go at it.

(However it could make a nice joke app, just beam it to a friend's Sprint T600 and enable it, then watch him go crazy as all these "Unknown" callers keep calling him, and when he check's his voicemail he wonder's how he could have missed all his friends calling...)
    I do remember reading that there were significant differences in the call handling between the GSM and CDMA phones. I know that the CallFilter author has spent a lot of time with users here getting his app to work for both versions.
    Hi,

I'd like being able to block people not in a specific category of my contact list...(personal vs business for example).

Just a suggestion.
    Denis.
    Hi,

I'd like being able to block people not in a specific category of my contact list...(personal vs business for example).

Just a suggestion.
    Denis.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast