1. lam
    <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/peditors/message/23621>

According to Paul Nevai( pedit,laptophack ) , the Treo 600 is using a preOS6 ! Is that true ?
    I think it's hogwash, personnally.

OS6 is supposed to be a true multitasking system written from the ground up to support new processors, instead of the kludged support that OS5 has.

I see no evidence that the Treo version of the OS is significantly different than any other OS5.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Totally wrong. The Handspring engineers had knowledge of what was coming in Palm OS Cobalt (the name of OS 6), but the code base is very much Palm OS 5.2 with Handspring modifications. When possible, they made modifications that would follow the standards in Cobalt, such as using the proper codes of the navigation keys and adopting the 'fnav' resource type for specifying form navigation; that may be the source of the confusion.
    Originally posted by bcombee
    ... When possible, they made modifications that would follow the standards in Cobalt, such as using the proper codes of the navigation keys ...
    Great. (Sarcastic). So that's the reason we can't use any of the pre Treo OS5 progs with 5-way navigation; we're using the OS6 standard. Unfortunately, the fact that we're using the new standard is useless to us, becuase we we won't be able to run the OS6 programs either.

Unless I have misunderstood it, this was a technical decision that just didn't make sense.
    Originally posted by dennisl

Great. (Sarcastic). So that's the reason we can't use any of the pre Treo OS5 progs with 5-way navigation; we're using the OS6 standard. Unfortunately, the fact that we're using the new standard is useless to us, becuase we we won't be able to run the OS6 programs either.

Unless I have misunderstood it, this was a technical decision that just didn't make sense.
    Actually, the "OS6 standard" for the 5-way is Handspring's code. PalmSource agreed to use the Handspring standard API for the 5-way because it was a better API and implementation than the one they had.

OS4 apps were never designed to use a 5-way because very few (if any) OS4 devices even have a 5-way (D-pad) button. The older programs need to be updated to use the new API. The OS brought a new feature to the market. It's not the OS's fault that developers have yet to take advantage of it. The OS can't retrofit 5-way navigation into an application that wasn't designed for it. The best that the OS can do is support the input method that the application was originally written to handle. In the case of pre-OS5 applications, that would be touchscreen and/or possibly Sony Jog dial support.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.