1.    #1  
    After reviewing the thread archives on VersaMail, I purchased and installed it on my Sprint Treo 600 (PalmOne doesn't offer a trial). It works surprisingly well, with one major exception: it is only bringing down my "Inbox" emails (no other folders). My primary purpose in getting it, is to use the key IMAP feature (sync'd email sub-folders). It seems that others are getting that to work, even though Versamail is not an "official" T600 app.

The other problem I'm having - although I have it configured to "Delete messages on server", when I delete emails on the Palm, they do not get deleted on my web email client (after I refresh it), as they should. That is a real problem too, since a lot of the usefulness is to be able to whip thru your email and clean it up (delete a lot of emails) on the Treo, then sync up.

Any suggestions? I checked "Sync Sub-folders", and whenever I hit the "Get Mail" button, I check the "Sync IMAP Folders" checkbox. But the only folder it comes up with in it's list is "Inbox". It does bring in the emails in that folder, no problem. But *only* that folder, unfortunately (no IMAP functionality; might as well be POP).

I'm using other IMAP clients successfully (on this same email account) from my desktop - OE, Outlook/Windows; Entourage/Mac, etc. I am trying to sync it with FastMail's IMAP servers (www.fastmail.fm, mail.messagingengine.com).

Thanks in advance if anyone can assist! This would be great to get working. Finding an IMAP client that "works" is tough, and VM 2.5 is rumored to be the best, and has been seen to work on a Treo 600... although the D-Pad integration isn't the greatest (but you can run it with the stylus).
    Last edited by sbell22; 02/22/2004 at 03:07 AM.
    steve bell

Sharp Zaurus>HP200LX>Cassiopeia E-10>Palm Pilot 1000/5000>iPaq 3600>HP 360/620LX>Palm III, IIIx>Diamond Mako>Palm V>Palm Vx>Psion 5Mx>iPaq 3630,3670>Samsung i300>Sony Clie NX70>Kyocera 7135>Sony PEG T50>Samsung i330>Treo300>Samsung i500>Sony NZ90>Sony SJ33>Rim 7230>Sprint Treo 600>Treo 600>iPaq H4355 PPC>iPod + Sprint Treo 600>Sony Clie NX-73, Th55>Sanyo 8200>Treo 650>Tungsten T5+BB 7290>iPhone 2G>iPhone 3G>AT&T BB Curve>AT&T BB Storm>BB Bold>Sprint Curve>Sprint/Palm Pre (6/6/09)
    To get your sub folders to work, you need to set your root folder to "INBOX." (don't forget the ".") You can set this by going from the main menu to options - mail servers - details. Then select "Advanced Incoming" from the options menu. This lets you set the root folder, as well as the deleted and sent folders.

There is a bug in VM 2.5 that means it won't see any sub folder whose title is longer than 7 charaters. I've got most folders to work by shortening the names, but fastmail has some folders you can't edit, such as "sent Items". The bug was apparently fixed in 2.6, but you can only get that with a Tungsten E. The fastmail forum has a discussion on this I think. Jeremy - one of the fastmail owners - has a Treo 600 I believe.

I'm waiting for version 2 of snappermail to come out in the next couple of months, which I believe will have IMAP support. Hopefully it will have better support for IMAP.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks much for that - progress! Versamail is now pulling down my subfolders. I can view multi-folder IMAP email on the Treo now. I shortened some sub-folder names and sure enough, it started seeing those and pulling in the mail. I can live with that minor limitation for now

How long would it have taken me to figure *that* out? like... forever?? And waiting on an answer from PalmOne tech support... HAHA

Yep, I'm looking forward to Snapper Mail/IMAP... hope they get it right on the first release!

Have a major Versamail problem remaining, unfortunately... when I delete emails on the handheld, they still don't show up as deleted on the fastmail web interface (after refreshing, etc). Any ideas on that? I have "Delete messages on Server" checked in Preferences.
    steve bell

Sharp Zaurus>HP200LX>Cassiopeia E-10>Palm Pilot 1000/5000>iPaq 3600>HP 360/620LX>Palm III, IIIx>Diamond Mako>Palm V>Palm Vx>Psion 5Mx>iPaq 3630,3670>Samsung i300>Sony Clie NX70>Kyocera 7135>Sony PEG T50>Samsung i330>Treo300>Samsung i500>Sony NZ90>Sony SJ33>Rim 7230>Sprint Treo 600>Treo 600>iPaq H4355 PPC>iPod + Sprint Treo 600>Sony Clie NX-73, Th55>Sanyo 8200>Treo 650>Tungsten T5+BB 7290>iPhone 2G>iPhone 3G>AT&T BB Curve>AT&T BB Storm>BB Bold>Sprint Curve>Sprint/Palm Pre (6/6/09)
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    sbell22, have you used BaseJet before? Just looking for a comparison between basejet and VersaMail. How does VersaMail get new emails? Does it poll the server, or does it use some type of push?
  5.    #5  
    Versamail is standard "pull" email (it polls the email server).
    But I understand there is a setting to cause it to automatically poll the server every so often. I haven't found that setting yet; and may not want to as I hear when you select that, it can cause
    Versamail problems on the Treo.

Versamail is Palm's email client; but it was designed to run on their machines, not Handspring's (the merger hasn't caught up with VersaMail yet). But eventually I'm sure we'll see full T600 5-way support (etc) integrated in. For now it runs OK on a Treo if you don't mind a little more stylus work than (e.g., Snapper) in return for the IMAP capability. Search these threads for "Versamail" and you'll see that some people do have v 2.5, and 2.6 working on Treo's. But they only sell v2.5; you have to "beam" v2.6 over from a T3 (etc). Treo's don't come with it.

I haven't used BaseJet. Does it do IMAP? I see from the description on Palm Blvd that it supports IMAP on the Treo. Does it really "work", for multiple IMAP folders?? If so that'll probably be what I try next, if I can't get my final (but key) Versamail issue resolved (unable to delete messages on the server).

I have used most of other Palm email clients; my favorite is Snapper. Very slick Treo 5-way support, etc; but POP-only email for now (Snapper doesn't yet do IMAP).

Don't know if you're familiar with IMAP (vs POP). It allows you to use different email clients on different machines, but keeps all your folders synchronized. e.g. I use Entourage on the Mac at home, Outlook Express on my laptop, Outlook at the office, and a web (standard browser) email interface at coffee house machines Any emails I change (send, delete, move between folders, etc) show up on all the machines, in sync.

Now, if I could get it to work properly on the Palm I'd really be set Shadow has reportedly been promising an IMAP-capable Palm client for a while, but hasn't been able to deliver yet. The stuff they have released works great though, so they're probably refining it. It seems that IMAP clients are tough to get right; a lot of them have problems.

hth,
    Last edited by sbell22; 02/22/2004 at 01:16 PM.
    steve bell

6.    #6  
    I have a Basejet evaluation copy on my Treo now... am working on getting it to pull down email.

I have installed a trial copy of BaseJet, but it cannot sync up to my IMAP email server (fastmail). It conects to Sprint PCS Vision, requests synchronized mail, then says "The desktop launcher could not be found, verify the configuration or select 'stand alone' ". I looked on Basejet's support threads, and others have run into this. This fix there is to enter the same email address on desktop/palm; i have done that.

That thread implies you always have to have the Basejet desktop running on your desktop, in order to get wireless mail(??)

I think it may be trying to "sync" to Outlook via hotsync, instead of running as an independent email client with a data link of it's own (?; however, it did prompt me for the IMAP server addresses, etc so I'm not sure). Problem is, even to experient I cannot find a setting to put it into 'stand alone' mode (I am not trying to sync to the desktop; I want it stand-alone on the Palm). I sent their tech support an email; any help here from Basejet aces appreciated, in the meantime. It accepted my temp reg# on both the desktop, and the Treo.

Will report back here on my Basejet/Versamail "trials"
    It'd be great to get (working) IMAP onto the T6!
    Last edited by sbell22; 02/22/2004 at 02:34 PM.
    steve bell

Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    sbell22, I use BaseJet with my IMAP email account which, like yours, is fastmail. Here's the deal, you can conifgure BaseJet to run in one of 2 ways:

1. "stand-alone" mode. This is what I use and is probably what you want as well. This mode does NOT require the "desktop launcher", but instead it uses BaseJet's own server to poll your IMAP (or hotmail) account at any given interval that you set. (I set it to poll every 5 minutes) Then, when it finds a new email, it sends your Treo an SMS, which triggers a sync. So in essence it is "pushed" email.

2. Desktop-launcher mode. I don't use this mode, but basically it just means that you install a desktop client on your PC (which must be running at all times) which pushes any new emails that hit your PC to the BaseJet server. The BaseJet server than pushes the email to your Treo, again via an SMS which triggers a sync.

To my knowledge, you can't have it both ways - meaning if you set-up BaseJet to run in desktop-launcher mode, but you actually wanted stand-alone mode, then you probably need to delete and re-install. The advantage of the desktop-launcher, however, is that you can have it push your corporate email which may be otherwise unattainable as it could be on an Exchange server behind a firewall.
    The current Build for BaseJet right now is 52, but 53 should be out this week which supposedly will fix a number of IMAP bugs - including deleting issues. So far, it's worked reasonably well for me. I do have a few issues with it, which I hope will be ironed out in the next build.
    The 2 main things I like about BaseJet is the look and feel, and the fact that it doesn't chew through my batteries like Chatter did. You can set BaseJet to disconnect from Vision after it syncs's which means it's only connected to Vision for about 15 seconds per sync.
    I will, however, wait to see how well Snapper's IMAP implementation works before I drop any cash for BaseJet.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks, very helpful. Do you know where the setting/option is, to put it over into "stand alone" mode? That is how I want to run it...

or, perhaps, will I need to uninstall/re-install it? I don't remember selecting that option, though...
    steve bell

Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    I remember a little "checkbox" for stand-alone mode when I first installed BaseJet. The setup screens were a little misleading, so it's probably by sheer luck that I happened to select stand-alone mode in the first place.
    Unfortunately, I don't think it's anything you can reconfigure without reinstalling.
  10.    #10  
    thanks, I un-installed/re-installed and have it sync'ing now. It seems to pick up other folders besides Inbox, if I enter the folder names manually. Is there any way for it to auto-import folder names?

So far, I am getting inconsistent # messages on the Treo, vs. in my web email client (I think Basejet has the wrong # messages). So still some bugs to work out. I emailed their tech support dept. Ever see that?

I moved all my email messages out other folders (outside of the few that I'm sync'ing) and tried sending some test messages. The Treo side is a bit of a mess... deletions are not picked up, it still has old messages that were deleted on the desktop; messages deleted on the Treo don't get picked up on the web email client, etc.

I'm starting to wonder if there is a solid IMAP email client that can run on the Treo! I know some Treo users have it working... but it shouldn't be this difficult to setup.
    Last edited by sbell22; 02/22/2004 at 11:03 PM.
    steve bell

sbell22 - You should try Chatter (email me for a recent test version). Multiple folders (or even servers) work properly, and polling/pulling is never used (you'll get emails within seconds of arrival). Stylus not needed...

Marc
  12.    #12  
    Hey Marc, i'm ready for a new email product

Does Chatter work with your existing email provider? I just spent quite a bit of time a couple of months back getting everything setup and running smoothly at Fastmail, in order to have Outlook/IMAP, web-based email access (sometimes), etc with my own domain... so I'm not looking to start over with all that. If Chatter works with that sort of setup... I'm rarin' to go! Please advise.

I looked over the imchatter website a bit... it appears to be instant-messaging centric in design (contact-oriented). I am very satisfied with Verichat for AOL+Yahoo instant messaging, so that side of it doesn't add much value for me; it's the email side where I need help. Can it handle a couple hundred emails a day into a half-dozen IMAP folders? When you delete on the Treo, do they get deleted on the server? And... (per above) has anyone seen it work with Fastmail?

Thanks for the info! Looks intriguing...
    steve bell

sbell22 - Shoot me an email at chatsw@xsmail.com and ask for the most recent test version...

Marc
  14.    #14  
    thanks... but are you sure that's a good email address? this is what i got back (sent from fastmail):

<chatsw@xsmail.com>: host /var/imap/socket/lmtpprox[/var/imap/socket/lmtpprox]
    said: 550-Mailbox unknown. Either there is no mailbox associated with this
    550-name or you do not have authorization to see it. 550 5.1.1 User unknown
    steve bell

Sigh. I meant either chatsw@mailcan.com or chat@xsmail.com...

Marc
  16.    #16  
    Thanks to Marc, I have installed Chatter, and all I can say is... WOW!!! Snapper, Versamail... take notes!! Or prepare to eat some dust...

One big difference with Chatter is... it WORKS!! Without a lot of headaches, despite being an early/1.x release. I already have two IMAP folders syncing, "push" email mode. Horray!
    Looks like it has some nifty instant-messaging capabilities too... maybe I won't need VeriChat anymore?

I set it up for a soft "ding" when an email comes in. Since I am using scripting to parse my email into a few different folders on fastmail, I'm already able to (e.g.) hear a "ding" (only) when email from a KNOWN sender comes in. Even the RIM 7230 that I tried back in December couldn't do that! This makes IMAP folder capability (coupled with fastmail's sieve scripting) even more useful...

Looking forward to getting this application really humming. Attachment support coming, over the next few months?

steve
    steve bell

Global Posts
    297 Global Posts
    I can now sync to fastmail folders after reading the post below more carefully; I forgot the full stop "." after the word Inbox. I can now sync all folders except default fastmail folder "Sent Items" I suspect because of character length. I can't manually change this folder; this is determined by fastmail (I've already suggested this to them using their support form).

I now have another problem; mail I delete from Versamail does not delete from the fastmail server. When I consult fastmail faqs http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/faqparts...ting.htm#Purge mail should at least appear read with a line through it. This only seemed to work when I had not set the root folder to "INBOX." Now my only solution is to move mail I wish to delete to "INBOX.Trash" and delete from the fastmail server later. Considering Fusemail or maybe I should consider Snappermail when the bugs are worked out.

I followed directions given below for my guest/free fastmail account and Versamail 2.6 confirms "Connected" but returns error " Folder "Inbox" selected for sync does not exist on the IMAP server". When I click "OK" my Treo resets.

Is this function of my fastmail account or am I missing something in Versamail.

Treo 600 Sprint
    Hardware v.C
    Firmware 1.20

TIA,
    Christopher

Quote Originally Posted by dswhite
    To get your sub folders to work, you need to set your root folder to "INBOX." (don't forget the ".") You can set this by going from the main menu to options - mail servers - details. Then select "Advanced Incoming" from the options menu. This lets you set the root folder, as well as the deleted and sent folders.

There is a bug in VM 2.5 that means it won't see any sub folder whose title is longer than 7 charaters. I've got most folders to work by shortening the names, but fastmail has some folders you can't edit, such as "sent Items". The bug was apparently fixed in 2.6, but you can only get that with a Tungsten E. The fastmail forum has a discussion on this I think. Jeremy - one of the fastmail owners - has a Treo 600 I believe.

I'm waiting for version 2 of snappermail to come out in the next couple of months, which I believe will have IMAP support. Hopefully it will have better support for IMAP.
    Last edited by puyi; 06/23/2004 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Update