1.    #1  
    Hi Everyone. I have a Treo 600 on pre-order from palmOne, for T-Mobile, but I'm using the Treo to replace two phones (one from Verizon for voice, and a Hiptop from T-Mobile).

From the looks of it, it seems like CDMA blows GPRS out of the water --speedwise, as long as you are not travelling overseas a lot.

I guess my questions are:

1)If I get the Free and Clear roaming plan, does that mean I will also use Verizon towers? Does data work when you are roaming?

2) Does the $15 data plan cover unlimited bandwidth?

Also does anyone use that remote business PCS service? Looks like 5 bucks and you can access files on your PC remotely. Any use to this? I think I could get creative and download from my vast MP3 collection. There might be software to connect without a monthly fee, though. Kind of like Timbuktu.

Overall, are you happy with Sprint?

Thanks!
    Monk
    1.Yes data is faster, but there is no data while roaming.

The roaming lets you use Verizon for voice.

Haven't used BC as I run a secure ftp site on my desktop and simply ftp what I need to the Treo.

Curiously, with all of my traveling I'm buying a GSM treo as a second phone when abroad
    Originally posted by Monk
    Hi Everyone. I have a Treo 600 on pre-order from palmOne, for T-Mobile, but I'm using the Treo to replace two phones (one from Verizon for voice, and a Hiptop from T-Mobile).

From the looks of it, it seems like CDMA blows GPRS out of the water --speedwise, as long as you are not travelling overseas a lot.

I guess my questions are:

1)If I get the Free and Clear roaming plan, does that mean I will also use Verizon towers? Does data work when you are roaming?

2) Does the $15 data plan cover unlimited bandwidth?

Also does anyone use that remote business PCS service? Looks like 5 bucks and you can access files on your PC remotely. Any use to this? I think I could get creative and download from my vast MP3 collection. There might be software to connect without a monthly fee, though. Kind of like Timbuktu.

Overall, are you happy with Sprint?

Thanks!
    Monk

1) yes you will be using verizon towers where available. No data does not work while roaming

2)Yes and No, unlimited data is unlimited data, but if you a exceed a gig or so in one month then you get flagged and they moniter your usage to make sure you aren't using it as a modem to dowload of kazaa, otherwise you get ostracized for life from sprint unlimited vision

If you are looking for remote access to files, instead of paying 5 dollars a month try digging up SMBmate from somewhere or use MobileFile

I am 110% satisfied with Sprint. As long as you know your phone inside and out and back inside again you should be all set. You also have to know more about their network in general than they do, and it generally helps if you already have an answer to your question before you ask it, because 9 times out of 10 you're gonna get stuck with some random moron who couldn't answer what cell phone is, let alone help you with your problems

so good luck!
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
  4.    #4  
    No data while roaming is better than no data or voice. And right now my only reason for being wistful about cancelling Verizon is their seamless coverage in my area. If i can occassionally roam on their system, I know I'd fill the gaps well.

I still think I will get data in more places than T-Mobile. I'm really hoping it works in my gym. T-Mobile didn't reach there. I'd love to read the news while on a stationary bike.

Originally posted by BoeingPilot
    1.Yes data is faster, but there is no data while roaming.

The roaming lets you use Verizon for voice.

Haven't used BC as I run a secure ftp site on my desktop and simply ftp what I need to the Treo.

Curiously, with all of my traveling I'm buying a GSM treo as a second phone when abroad
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the advice. I am a somewhat heavy user, but I don't use any file sharing and I am not on constantly. However, I will want to try to log into some security cameras via my laptop (I market some surveillance products, among other video technologies). But if I access files on my computer I think it would be really hard to hit a gb.

I wonder when VOIP comes to the treo, though. (probably already has, that's how much of a noob, I am).
    Originally posted by SprintTreo600

1) yes you will be using verizon towers where available. No data does not work while roaming

2)Yes and No, unlimited data is unlimited data, but if you a exceed a gig or so in one month then you get flagged and they moniter your usage to make sure you aren't using it as a modem to dowload of kazaa, otherwise you get ostracized for life from sprint unlimited vision

If you are looking for remote access to files, instead of paying 5 dollars a month try digging up SMBmate from somewhere or use MobileFile

I am 110% satisfied with Sprint. As long as you know your phone inside and out and back inside again you should be all set. You also have to know more about their network in general than they do, and it generally helps if you already have an answer to your question before you ask it, because 9 times out of 10 you're gonna get stuck with some random moron who couldn't answer what cell phone is, let alone help you with your problems

so good luck!
  6.    #6  
    Oh yeah, this is just the impatient gadget-maniac in me asking.

If I am porting over an old number from Verizon, will I be able to at least use data until the number is transfered?
    Monk, you were in the same boat as me it sounds like. I had to keep my Verizon phone during the year I had my T-Mobile Sidekick as I could NEVER make or receive a phone call in my home in Sacramento and have been using mobile only for years for long distance calling when at home.

And data on the SK at my house was very rare. Away from my home I could make calls with very few problems but data was still not very reliable.

As you know the SK could not handle java script so I could not log into my favorite web site autosport .com.

With the Sprint Treo 600 I have had no problems with the phone or access to the web and I can log in to autosport. Until the update I had a lot of problems with PCS Mail but that is working fine now but I am still going to get Snappermail when I get around to it.

A couple of days ago I had a strange issue (also on my daughters new Sprint Toshiba VM 4050) trying to login to Sprints lame AOL IM through Vision. I posted about that but it seems it must have been isolated to us.

As for Biz Conn a lot of people seem to like it but I am self employed and have not really found it useful as I only have POP3 mail accounts and have only used the feature to pull a document from a flolder on my desktop once and that was only to test the feature. My wife however uses it to check her company related email while out of her office and likes it.

I am thinking of changing to the unlimited data with picture mail so I can use the $5.00 a month on mobiTV if we ever get it for the Treo 600.

When my wife and I ported our Verizon numbers to our Treo 600s I had Vision service after a couple of hours but my wife didn't until our phone service was working.

But more important make sure the Sprint person taking your Verizon information has entered everything EXACTLY as it is with Verizon. Make them go over it with you when they THINK they are finished and even then they may screw it up.

My wife called in to activate our Treo phones and the girl she spoke to messed up her name (my wife had set up the Verizon accounts when we moved to Sacramento) and it took a day for them to figure that out.

When I got my daughter her new Toshiba VM4050 a couple of weeks ago I went to the Sprint store to buy it, took the Verizon bill and they still messed up the account number, by adding a zero to the end of our account number, even though I had the girl read everything back to me from her screen. How she read it back correctly after entering it in wrong I have no idea but it took an extra day to solve that screwup.

Now if we could only get a manual for my daughters phone that actually explains all the features (the one that comes with it which is the same as the one on Sprint's site says absolutely nothing about 99% of the phones non Sprint related features) instead of a very few Sprint related items I would be a happy Sprint cutomer. Trying to find a manual on Toshiba's web site(s) is a joke. Their sites have to be the most disorganized mess of disconected sites I have ever seen.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for the great feedback.

Between cancelling T-Mobile Sidekick, T-Mobile Hotspot ($65 combined per month) and Verizon ($105 per month), it looks like I'll be saving on my monthly bill even if I keep a fairly high number of minutes. I'll make sure they get my number right, as my number is AWESOME, and was the main reason I didn't give up Verizon --other than the signal strength, which was BY FAR superior to T-Mobile.

I think I will go with a 2 year plan, which let's you also get 2 months of unlimited voice. Then I can look at my bill and figure out where I will fit in with the earlier 7pm unlimited calls. As long as I can make changes, I don't see why I shouldn't maximize the free minutes in the first two months by going with a lower plan (as long as I don't forget to adjust it. heh. I used to get HAMMERED with $150 in overage on Verizon before jumping to a higher plan).

My wife's plan is up in a month too (Verizon). So maybe I'll get a large bucket of minutes and just add two lines to the account.

Originally posted by talaria
    Monk, you were in the same boat as me it sounds like. I had to keep my Verizon phone during the year I had my T-Mobile Sidekick as I could NEVER make or receive a phone call in my home in Sacramento and have been using mobile only for years for long distance calling when at home.

And data on the SK at my house was very rare. Away from my home I could make calls with very few problems but data was still not very reliable.

As you know the SK could not handle java script so I could not log into my favorite web site autosport .com.

With the Sprint Treo 600 I have had no problems with the phone or access to the web and I can log in to autosport. Until the update I had a lot of problems with PCS Mail but that is working fine now but I am still going to get Snappermail when I get around to it.

A couple of days ago I had a strange issue (also on my daughters new Sprint Toshiba VM 4050) trying to login to Sprints lame AOL IM through Vision. I posted about that but it seems it must have been isolated to us.

As for Biz Conn a lot of people seem to like it but I am self employed and have not really found it useful as I only have POP3 mail accounts and have only used the feature to pull a document from a flolder on my desktop once and that was only to test the feature. My wife however uses it to check her company related email while out of her office and likes it.

I am thinking of changing to the unlimited data with picture mail so I can use the $5.00 a month on mobiTV if we ever get it for the Treo 600.

When my wife and I ported our Verizon numbers to our Treo 600s I had Vision service after a couple of hours but my wife didn't until our phone service was working.

But more important make sure the Sprint person taking your Verizon information has entered everything EXACTLY as it is with Verizon. Make them go over it with you when they THINK they are finished and even then they may screw it up.

My wife called in to activate our Treo phones and the girl she spoke to messed up her name (my wife had set up the Verizon accounts when we moved to Sacramento) and it took a day for them to figure that out.

When I got my daughter her new Toshiba VM4050 a couple of weeks ago I went to the Sprint store to buy it, took the Verizon bill and they still messed up the account number, by adding a zero to the end of our account number, even though I had the girl read everything back to me from her screen. How she read it back correctly after entering it in wrong I have no idea but it took an extra day to solve that screwup.

Now if we could only get a manual for my daughters phone that actually explains all the features (the one that comes with it which is the same as the one on Sprint's site says absolutely nothing about 99% of the phones non Sprint related features) instead of a very few Sprint related items I would be a happy Sprint cutomer. Trying to find a manual on Toshiba's web site(s) is a joke. Their sites have to be the most disorganized mess of disconected sites I have ever seen.
  9.    #9  
    It went off without a hitch. Already, my old Verizon number is ringing my new phone.

I am a happy gadget addict.