Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello

Being new to using a PDA and Sprint's Vision plans, I had a question regarding these 2 chat programs. I read on VeriChat that it uses SMS, which if I remember correctly..Sprint gives you 100 free each month. Chatter doesn't seem to use SMS..is that correct? So if Chatter doesn't use SMS, that would be better...correct? There would be no additional charges?

Now..between the 2...which one is more reliable?

Thanks!
    verichat is mature
    chatter has IMAP mail

verichat is mature
    chatter isn't

its kinda even...give chatter a try, if it doesn't work for you, an alternative would be to use Treo600SMS so the sms is through wireless web instead of the allotted 100 messages, unlimited internet=unlimited web messages, its a bit more expensive, but it's the only reasonable alternative
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
    I've used Verichat since I got my Treo 300, and I loved it. Recently I gave Chatter a try because I wanted IMAP. The initial versions of Chatter that I tried didn't work with IMAP - for me. But the latest release now works flawlessly. Chatter is a totally different model then Verichat, and to be honest it took me awhile (coming from Verichat) to get my arms around it and understand / appreciate it. However, I've fully adopted it now and there's no looking back. In my opinion Chatter is the superior communication app - your results may vary.

Dunc
    I've also been using Verichat since it came out and I have used Chatter, but because I have a Treo 300, I can't use Chatter's latest versions.

Chatter is a good app, but definitely not what I want. If I was in the app, my battery would drain and I didn't like the way it dealt with IMs coming in when it was not the focus.

You really need to try both and see which you like for your purposes.

Geoffrey
    One other thing:

chatter = developer is VERY responsive, and if you email hm with a problem he tends to get right on fixing it

verichat = I've experienced and been told by others, that the developer is slow responding.

(And Verichat uses incoming SMS's, TreoSMS is only for outgoing to my understanding)

With Chatters push IMAP, I rarely use SMS actually. It's easier to direct people to SMS my email address, that way it appears on the Treo AND the desktop.
    Pete
    Aaaand, one small thing nobody mentioned.
    chatter=1 time fee
    Verichat= Yearly fee
  7.    #7  
    Thank you all for your responses I think I'm going to try the VeriChat first and then Chatter.
    One thing I noticed using Chatter is that it seems to drain your battery pretty quickly. Has anyone else noticed this?
    Absolutely, which with a 300 is really easy to do anyway. I couldn't take full advantage of Chatter for that reason. I do dislike having to rely upon Sprint's SMS (shortmail) service and pay an annual fee to PDAApps, but it has been overall worth it.

If I end up getting a 600, I will try the latest version of Chatter and reevaluate then.

Geoffrey

Originally posted by Katahdin
    One thing I noticed using Chatter is that it seems to drain your battery pretty quickly. Has anyone else noticed this?
  10.    #10  
    Can someone tell me what "Buddy Pounce" is on VeriChat? Thanks!
    Originally posted by Shanti
    Can someone tell me what "Buddy Pounce" is on VeriChat? Thanks!
    basically it tells you when someone logs on with an im.

if your treo is off and someone logs in you dont get notified that they logged on.

when you buddy pounce someone, when they log in you get an IM.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I swore by Verichat for over a year & scoffed Chatter. I didn't eve give it a chance. But then I just tried it out for awhile & now I'm hooked. The developer is reall a great guy & very responsive in customer support. The pdaaps peeps take forever to contact you & when they do, they don't seem very helpful. One question though:

When I am connected to Chatter, sometime Sprint connection drops (of course) then Chatter will automatically connect to the network. But during that brief time (including soft resets-chatter disconnect then too) am I still online to my buddies? Or amI only online tomy buddies when I'm actually logged into the chatter app?

The only reason I would use Verichat anymore is because no matter if vision disconnects or if you shut off the phone part of treo, or you soft reset, you are still connected to their server thus staying "online" to your buddies. But what's annoying is if you get a nessage fron verichat while in another app it sends it via sms. If the message is big, the sms is broken up into smaller multiple messages. Well a lot of time there are pieces missing in these verichat sms messages & i have no idea what my buddy is saying!
    I agree with you. And have tried both. I also do not have to pay for SMS anymore as I did with Verichat.

Originally posted by Dunc
    I've used Verichat since I got my Treo 300, and I loved it. Recently I gave Chatter a try because I wanted IMAP. The initial versions of Chatter that I tried didn't work with IMAP - for me. But the latest release now works flawlessly. Chatter is a totally different model then Verichat, and to be honest it took me awhile (coming from Verichat) to get my arms around it and understand / appreciate it. However, I've fully adopted it now and there's no looking back. In my opinion Chatter is the superior communication app - your results may vary.

Dunc
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?
    Not me, and its the most usedc app on my Treo 600.

Originally posted by Katahdin
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?
    Since this hasnt been brought up, I guess Ill mention it.

Verichat has real issues with ICQ contact lists. Almost always, most users show up as UINs instead of their usernames and its not switchable.

Ive emailed the Pdaapps people about this because when I was making my decision on which IM client to purchase, they told me that a version was coming "soon" that would allow you to rename your contacts. Well, this was back in November and still no update.

I'm giving serious thought to going back to Chatter. I really need contact list importing but I also need to know who is who instead of a big list of UINs. At this point, Id almost rather add everyone by hand with Chatter than continue the waiting game and **** poor customer service Pdapps provides.
    Originally posted by treoneo

When I am connected to Chatter, sometime Sprint connection drops (of course) then Chatter will automatically connect to the network. But during that brief time (including soft resets-chatter disconnect then too) am I still online to my buddies? Or amI only online tomy buddies when I'm actually logged into the chatter app?
    This applys to Chatter, Verichat, the Desktop version of AIM and even AOL proper. If you "abruptly disconnect, i.e: crash, reset anything but actually selecting Sign Off, the AIM server may take a few minutes before it realizes you are not there anymore and signs you off. If one of your buddys IMs you during this time, detecting that you arent there is greatly sped up. If anything, the buddy may comment later "Hey I IM'd you and you signed off!"

`With Verichat and their SMS notification, if your Treo crashes or resets or whatever you will still get the SMS, if their server crashes then the above takes affect
    Pete
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Yes, it definitely drains the battery to some degree. However, I guess it's all relative. I did some tests today by connecting to Vision, then letting the Treo sit in "idle" mode for 2 hours. (no Chatter, emails, or anything else) After 2 hours, the battery meter had gone from 100% to 97%.

In my second test, I charged up the Treo, turned on Vision and also Chatter, then let the Treo sit in "idle" mode again for 2 hours. (again, no IM's or emails - it just sat there) This time, my battery meter went from 100% to 93%. -so basically double the battery drain by just having Chatter "on."

That may not seem like much, but over the course of a day that can be fairly significant- especially if you're actually USING your Treo for IM's, emails, calls, etc.

Believe me, I love Chatter and am not knocking it - it's a terrific app. I just wonder if there's anything that can be done from a development standpoint to make it stingier on battery usage, or if we've just reached a technical limitation of the device/network.
    Marc, any thoughts?

Also, I've never used Verichat so I can't comment on how the battery life compares between the 2 apps.
    You want "push mail" get Chatter. Actually, get Chatter because it is better.
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    What I find annoying about chatter is that whenever my phone does a soft reset, chatter disconnects me from the server (thus making me offline tomy buddies). Even after I go back into Chatter app after soft reset I have to manually connect to server again. This wouldn't be that big of a deal except my treo resets a lot. With Verichat I ALWAYS stay logged into there server (thus staying visible) even if I soft reset my phone or shut it off completely. Thus I am going back to Vericat...
    treoneo - I don't understand that. Why do you have to MANUALLY connect after re-starting Chatter? I've never seen that, and I don't recall your reporting it. If you restart Chatter after a reset, you won't have anything other than a fraction-of-a-second glitch in your connection status.

Marc
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast