1.    #1  
    I find it fascinating that nobody has implemented an email client for the treo that can connect to an IMAP/SSL server.

There are a bunch of solutions which proxy, putting a server in the middle and charging a monthly or annual fee. They take your password and connect to the IMAPS server for you, and use some other protocol between their server and your handheld. This totally kills the end-to-end security premise of SSL, and you're trusting some third party not only with your mail, but with your password. This includes bizcon, chatter, visto, and basejet.

Versamail seems to be in a strange spot, given that the latest version is 2.6 but cannot be purchased without a Tungsten handheld. No demo version, either. Conflicting reports of SSL working vs. not working.

Snappermail seems to have the most features, but IMAP availbility is questionable. The first IMAP promise date was a year ago. No firm feature list has been offered - for a product claiming to ship this quarter. This new version could lack SSL IMAP support, real folder sync, support for multiple folders, etc -- like bizcon, which doesn't update message flags if they have been changed elsewhere.

Snapper has not offered any upgrade period and has affirmatively said that IMAP will be a paid upgrade - no smart consumer would buy their product now, because they might just need to shell out another $50 to get the new version in a month.

Real, useable, end-to-end SSL IMAP is my key driver here. I could care less about viewing attachments, color, or other bells and whistles. Speed is important, I want to be able to read ten new messages without the touchscreen, reply, delete, and forward with ease. The 1st gen blackberry interface, before they added graphics, would be adequate.

What have I missed? Is there a program I don't know about? Should I hire a programmer to custom build such an app?
    I don't know about the others but Chatter connects directly to your mail server.
    Only the IM services do the proxy-thing.

Of this I am like 99% sure (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong)

I also remember Marc (Chatter developer) saying there was bug in the IMAP-SSL implementation keeping it from working while the app was in the background.
    Pete
    Chatter does SSL IMAP. You can write me for details... chatsw@mailcan.com
    I too find it surprising that Snapper has taken so long to implement IMAP. Still no firm date or feature list - SSL, folders, IDLE or even price for the upgrade!?

I just got IMAP working with Chatter and it's wonderful. Yes, Chatter has some email limitations (because it's primary function is not an email client) but having IMAP SSL with true push (without a proxy) is wonderful!

Dunc
    I've been using PaPi-Mail which does SSL+IMAP:

http://www.ses-soft.com/papi/PaPi-Mail/

The interface takes a bit of getting used to, but it is certainly usable. You can click on only those messages you wish to download and select the number of most recent message headers you want to grab. Anyway, FWIW, it's an OK alternative...

Regards,
    Mike
    snapper does ssl and folders for pop ccounts.

Imap is on the horizon. What type of implementation of IMAP it will have no one here can say (even if they knew).
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    What is IMAP? And what are it's benefits? I might need an IMAP for dummies book.
    In short:

IMAP is server based (POP is client based) so your mail is the same everywhere, on the Desktop, on the Laptop, On the Treo etc.
    Pete
    Originally posted by rnayfield
    I find it fascinating that nobody has implemented an email client for the treo that can connect to an IMAP/SSL server.

Versamail seems to be in a strange spot, given that the latest version is 2.6 but cannot be purchased without a Tungsten handheld. No demo version, either. Conflicting reports of SSL working vs. not working.
    Regardless of obtainability or intent Versamail 2.6 does work on a Treo 600, and does do SSL.