1.    #1  
    This is an article posted today on one of the professional websites I subscribe to and the review is very good. This is pretty much how I use mine and I agree 100% with the reviewer. Yes, yes, I know it's just an opinion ... but aren't all reviews?

Sorry I can't post the link, it is password protected , but here's the review:

============================================

You know the plumber who comes to your house with so many tools strapped to his waist that he's sporting a posterior chasm equaled only by the San Andreas Fault? Well, that's what you're going to look like if you hang one more techno-toy off your waistline. Let's face it, a beeper, cell phone, and a Personal Digital Assistant crammed onto one set of love handles is not a pretty sight.

And neither is that juggling act you go through trying to figure out which of these devices is beeping at you every couple of minutes. So I'm going to give you the same advice you give to prospects when they come in with direct investments in 10 mutual fund families: Consolidate.

If you've followed my technology advice over the years, you're probably as broke as I am since I switch gear faster than the Warner Brothers roadrunner. But, heck, that's what eBay is for. You should want the latest and greatest techno-gadgetry not for the sake of being the first to have it, but to get another little piece of your life back. And the Treo 600 can help you with that.

What It Is

Bill Gates predicted some years ago that we'd all be walking around one day with every piece of important information we'd ever need on a plastic card the size of our driver's license. Since Gates has demonstrated an ability to predict, not to mention influence, the direction of technological change, one might submit the Treo is the early fulfillment of his vision.

Picture this: Your plane is actually on time and you have just 10 minutes to wait at the gate before you start boarding. You whip out your Treo, bring up SnapperMail, an inexpensive third-party e-mail program for the Palm operating system, tap on Send/Fetch, and your Palm goes out over the Sprint PCS wireless network to collect your e-mail from either your POP3 or your company e-mail account.

You read your mail on the plane. To reply to it, you compose a message using Treo's built-in QWERTY keyboard. Can you really type on this thing? Sure. It's sometimes called "thumbboarding" because you support the device from its underside with the fingers of each hand while you use your thumbs to hit the tiny keys. (Some of you will remember the Treo 300, which had slightly more room between the keys; the Treo 600 compensates by making the keys stand up a little taller so they're still easy to hit, with accuracy, even though the keyboard layout is now more compressed.)

As soon as your plane lands and you're allowed to turn on your phone, you simply hit Send/Fetch again, and the Treo sends your replies and picks up any new mail that's out there. Suppose you don't use a POP3 account but rather a Web-based e-mail system like Hotmail or Yahoo. No problem. Just click the phone's Web icon, and you're browsing the Internet at speeds approximating a pretty fast dial-up connection using Handspring's Blazer Web Browser.

With Blazer, you can bookmark your e-mail site and any other sites you want to return to frequently. I'm not sure whether Blazer refers to the speed at which the Treo surfs the Net or the blazing color you get with the Treo, because both are excellent for a smartphone.

What It Does

Here's another situation where the Treo 600 has proven useful to me. Let's say you're driving to work and need to call a new client but don't have his number on speed-dial. You're going to have to look it up first on your Palm PDA, but there's no way you can manipulate two devices before the light turns green. You pull out your Treo, and using one hand plus the five-way navigation toggle button just above your keyboard, you scroll through your contact list, click the name of the client you want to call, and the Treo starts dialing. The light turns green, you hit the speakerphone icon with your thumb (yes, you can touch the keyboard to initiate commands), put the phone in its cradle on your dash, and talk to your client with complete clarity.

Maybe your client suggests a lunch meeting at a restaurant you thought you knew the location of. Now you're pacing up and down the block that is home to that restaurant, or so you thought. No problem. Just go online and get directions and a map.

You meet your client at the restaurant and take his photo with the Treo's 640-by-480-resolution camera. This camera isn't as good as the one on my daughter's $49.95 Samsung phone, but it's reasonably competent in bright sunlight. You attach your client's photo to his contact record in your Treo, and the next time he calls, his likeness appears on your Treo's screen in place of caller I.D. An essential business feature? No. A fun contrivance? Yes.

This phone will entertain in other ways, too. With one of the fastest processors of any phone currently on the market--a 144 MHz ARM processor--and 32 MB of onboard memory, you can even run miniature video games. Or, for the more scholarly, it's a simple matter to download an article from MorningstarAdvisor.com or any other financial publication and Web site and read it while waiting in the airport, or your doctor's office, right from the screen of your phone.

The best way to do this is to buy another piece of third-party software--Documents to Go by DataViz--and make sure it's the Treo edition, which is optimized for the 600. Not only will this allow you to compose word and spreadsheet documents, it will let you download to the Treo and read the same documents you've prepared on your computer, as well as graphic files, Adobe Acrobat PDF files, etc. On my Treo, I have in my Documents to Go directory a bunch of photos for showing off to friends at conferences (wife, daughter, dog), lots of reading from my favorite planning publications, and a PDF version of the last newsletter I received from the American Society of Journalists and Authors.

Now, here's the real beauty of Documents to Go. With the various readers it includes and the Treo's vast memory, you can read virtually any e-mail attachment someone sends you. With the earlier smartphones I owned, I could get e-mail but attachments were a problem. If I was away for a few days at a conference, the attachments would have to wait until I returned home. This was particularly troublesome because I use MaxEmail to receive all of my incoming faxes as e-mail attachments, so I can't take full advantage of this MaxEmail feature on the road unless I have a way to view graphic files.

Sure, I could read graphic files if I toted my laptop with me. But one of the greatest benefits of the Treo is the ability to leave your six-pound laptop at home. If you're willing to make a few sacrifices, you can get about 90% of your laptop's functionality with this phone. Hmmm, six ounces vs. six pounds--that works pretty well for me.

As for its other features, the Treo has everything you've come to expect in either a PDA or a digital phone. The PDA part has a Palm-based scheduler, contact list, to-do list, calculator, expense reporting application, memo pad feature, and it exchanges data (hotsyncs) with your desktop computer or beams data via infrared port with other devices.

The phone has voicemail, call log, caller I.D., text messaging, voice-activated dialing, and headset jack. In fact, with a third-party program like Pocket Tunes, you can download MP3 files to your Treo and listen to them with your headset. How are you supposed to fit MP3 files on a device like this? Easy. Just buy an SD memory card for the Treo's memory slot and store on it all the tunes it can hold, not to mention the full text of books, more magazine articles, or anything else you can think of.

The phone works well. I've never been to a professional conference or visited an out-of-state client where Sprint PCS digital service wasn't available, which eliminates any possible roaming costs. If you prefer, the phone is also available on the AT&T, Cingular, and T-Mobile networks.

What Does It All Cost?

Between $450 and $600 to buy the phone, depending upon the type of plan you adopt with it. I use it on the Sprint network, and I pay for the Treo's time--whether phone calling, Web browsing, or e-mailing--at the same per-minute cost.

Sure, you could get addicted and start eating up minutes like mixed nuts at an FPA hospitality suite. But you'll probably want to make the Treo your only phone anyway, in which case your volume time purchases will actually be pretty reasonable. (I get 2,000 "anytime" minutes a month, which is more than adequate for everything I do, including conducting long interviews for my articles--for under $100 a month).

Bottom Line

In short, we have here a six-ounce device that will store every bit of contact information you need to run your business and your life, will get and send your e-mail, will let you browse the Internet, will make your calls and take your messages, will entertain you, and will let you shed six or more pounds instantly.

The Treo 600 isn't the first device to combine a telephone and a Palm Pilot. It's just the first one to do it with a specific set of features that meet my particular needs. You may find that's true for you, as well.

=============================================

Tom
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    I enjoyed reading that, it just confirmes how I see my Treo. It just works!
    I should though add that mine cost me 99.00 on a year contract - which beats paying for it outright. I have since also unlocked it. Not bad really.
  4. BGS
    Good Article and as a road warrior I now carry alot less and am now all thumbs...But that is a good thing..

Smile,
    Bruce
    Bruce,
    Treo 600 & 650 / Cingular
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    i stopped reading at the part where you actually get to use it in flight..knew it was fiction then
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tjd414
    Sorry I can't post the link, it is password protected , but here's the review:
    Um... FWIW, I'm sure it's password protected because this info is copyrighted and they don't want it posted anywhere.

Brett
    Where is tjd414?

Did Chick-Dance follow him into self-exile?
    I'm tying to get mobile with my 600 on cingular (which doesn't support 600 cuz it makes more money with 650.) To get around this, I moved my SIM card from my Motorola V!*) into the 600, and have set up my account. I can send, but not receive, email, and can't get on the web. Suggestions?