1.    #1  
    Check this out at: http://www.brighthand.com/article/Ru...ite=SmartPhone

Although a clamshell device, is this the next competitive threat?

-THP
    Last edited by Nautilus Man; 02/21/2004 at 11:30 PM.
    Think First, ask questions later!
    wow what an incredible-looking phone. yes this will give the treo a run for its money. it will all come down to the specs and how smoothly the software runs on the platform.

but landscape mode and phone mode, very innovative. i have to hand it to motorola on this one. theyve now entered treo territory.

should be fun to watch develop
    Wow!

Im in love...

...if it works as good as it looks, and if it's available for Sprint...
    My T6 can do the same thing... if I turn it side ways...
    Sorry about the typing errors; I'm all thumbs.
    ...i dig the clamshell portrait mode big time, but i'm not ready to go winbooze...

...maybe next treo will have this optional design too; i personally would love a larger keyboard, and the space beside a square screen could be used to store electronics for 1/3Mpix camera...

...obviously it would be wifi and other nice new feats...

BTW - check this portable WIN XP PDA; what about they put a cellphone chip inside this one...

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/333/C2492/

...with a linux distro to go with cobalt...

Very, VERY Nice! But I hate PPC
    i can't say that i know much about other operating systems but i know i prefer the design of my treo300 with the flip and so i think this is very interesting. i still feel the cover protects the screen...

and the 'flipstart' mini computer looks really cool but i wonder what pricing will be...
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by koros
    [BBTW - check this portable WIN XP PDA; what about they put a cellphone chip inside this one...

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/333/C2492/

...with a linux distro to go with cobalt...

[/B]
    About half way down the page they discuss the LID feature and mention a mobile phone module for making calls. It's just a matter of time before this will be more common. Also, with any wireless notebook data card you can also include voice access in addition to data but it is expensive.

-THP
    Think First, ask questions later!
    ...thx NAUTILUS MAN, i went stright to specs avoiding the babble, which actually WAS about specs as well...

...guess i'll be following this one closely then; "OPTIONAL PHONE MODULE" sounds like an external module though, hope they put everything inside or it's definitely a NO GO for me.

...a BIG step forward though...

Oh no. I do not think I want to go back here after the Treo 270. people are impressed with me Treo 600 and its small choco bar the design. The same people that were laughing at me when I use the Treo 270. This one is going to be huge when opened too.

Originally posted by Nautilus Man
    Check this out at: http://www.brighthand.com/article/Ru...ite=SmartPhone

Although a clamshell device, is this the next competitive threat?

-THP
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?
    Looks like a step back IMHO. The 270 and 300 were flip type and people would not stop complaining about it. I have to admit, even thogh I had no issue with the 270&300 flip, the non-flip 600 is better then I thought, I guess I know see SOME of their beef.

Saying that, bring on the PHantom V. That would smoke this PPC Windoze flip (want to be a sidekick) phone.

JUST MY opinion, I am a little anti windows/PPC, so take it with a grain of salt. Matt
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    Im not sure if it is random or not...probably is...but check out the AD next to the article .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    are u kidding me? that appeals to the people who like the sony ux50 type device. I want a practical phone, pda, email. I've got it in the treo 600. that hinge will not be like the treo 300, it will take 2 hands to open. I would love to see someone pull that monstrosity out of their pockect every time they have to answer the phone. that's a mini laptop design w/ pgone added. provides no more functionality than my treo 600, just adds more steps and requires 2 hands to use
    Whilst waiting for the release of the Treo 600, I dabbled with the darkside in the form of the Samsung SGH-i700. Yes, I realize this is a different form factor and to some degree OS than the new Motorola offerings. Still, the i700 was a great PDA (if you like PocketPC), but a less than optimal phone. It was difficult for me to switch back and forth between PDA functions and a usable phone. I find the Treo to be a superb compromise between phone and PDA.

The Microsoft SmartPhone system seems to be slow at best, according to Walt Mossberg. Time will tell if this new device is any better.

I'll stick to my Treo.
    upside: there are PPC drivers for the sandisk sd wifi card

downside: since it is PPC it will have to be soft reset every hour and hard reset every 8th day
    Originally posted by Tourdewolf
    downside: since it is PPC it will have to be soft reset every hour and hard reset every 8th day
    I think youa re confusing the mpx300 with low quality treo600. Crashing when searching for address, web browsing or running big game?