Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Friends,

I live in India, but travel frequently to the US. Recently purchased a Treo 600 for use in both places, though, primarily for use in India.

The phone worked with TMobile in the US, but once I landed in India and popped in a local SIM Card (Hutch network), it refuses to get onto the carrier network. When asked to search for available networks, it does show the list of local service providers that it is able to detect, but it is unable to hook onto the specific one associated with the SIM card.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

I have also seen some comments on the working of the TREO 600 GPRS functionality in the networks in India - any inputs on that?

thanks much!
    Ramji
    You need to unlock your Treo600. Please do a search...there's been like a gazillion threads on this topic yaar!

Anyway, here's a hoto link:

http://www.techwarelabs.com/communit...light=treo+600

P.S. Just for the record, this was cracked my Mol and company right here on Treocentral!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Are you sure you have an 'Unlocked' phone? The reason I ask is because so far the only way to get an unlocked phone from the US was to get a Cingular branded phone. The only other reason I can think of is that you may have an old (couple of years old) SIM card, in which case I would suggest you get your SIM exchanged (usually for free) from Hutch. To test this out you could borrow someone else's SIM for a few minutes and see if it works. By the way I myself had this problem when I had first gotten the Treo180. I remember freaking out thinking I had gotten a defective phone, but upon calling Hutch I found out the problem was that I had an old SIM which was not compatible with a lot of the new phones.

Personally I am using a Cingular (unlocked) Treo600 here in Delhi with a Hutch SIM. By the way I have not been able to get GPRS to work here with any of the Treo's and I have had all three, the Treo 180, 270 and now the Treo600.
    Namaste Ramji
    I use the Treo 600 (AT& T Unlocked) often in Mumbai with a Hong Kong Orange (Hutch) Sim card. I do not use any local sims as I have had problems with Indian GPRS on this phone. I had problems with the Indian Hutch sim crashing the phone and when I got it to work my bill was roughly USD90 in one week. I roughly receive 10-12 emails a day downloaded from my VSNL account.

You phone definitely needs to be unlocked though so please follow the link. Where in India are you located BTW?
    Sanjay
    Is there a provider called Idea in Delhi?

Thanks
    I was there a month ago, I don't think there was one (I might be wrong) I got Idea in Goa though.

Originally posted by bongmaster
    Sanjay

Thanks
    Sanjay

Thanks
    Yes there is a provider called IDEA here in Delhi. It is the brand name of the company owned by Birla, AT&T and Tata.
    Just incase you want to know, there are a total of six mobile service phone companies in Delhi. There are four GSM service providers and three CDMA service providers. One company, MTNL, has both GSM and CDMA networks.

GSM:
    1) Hutch (Previously Essar)
    2) Airtel
    3) IDEA
    4) MTNL - Dolphin

CDMA:
    1) Tata Indicom
    2) Reliance
    3) MTNL - Garuda
    Last edited by Sanjay; 02/22/2004 at 02:30 PM.
    Originally posted by ramji
    Friends,

I live in India, but travel frequently to the US. Recently purchased a Treo 600 for use in both places, though, primarily for use in India.

The phone worked with TMobile in the US, but once I landed in India and popped in a local SIM Card (Hutch network), it refuses to get onto the carrier network. When asked to search for available networks, it does show the list of local service providers that it is able to detect, but it is unable to hook onto the specific one associated with the SIM card.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

I have also seen some comments on the working of the TREO 600 GPRS functionality in the networks in India - any inputs on that?

thanks much!
    Ramji
    Ramji

I have been using a treo 600 (bought at Singapore Airport) in Mumbai, India for about 5 months without any problems. Just popped in my Orange (Hutch) SIM from my old phone and everything worked. I had some trouble with getting GPRS to work but with some persistant pestering of the Orange tech support, it worked. I have since discontinued it since I don't find the need to use it worth the price that Orange charges. The throughput gets patchy depending on the network congestion at different times of the day but otherwise it works. And just to have a back up I tried it out with a BPL SIM and GPRS worked with BPL network too.

Is your phone locked to T-Mobile?

Satish
    Satish Joshi
    Sanjay
    I am told tht Idea works best and have had associates using their Treo with an Idea Sim.

Do any of you guys know if there are any GPRS providers in Goa?? I will be spending a few months there this year and would rather carry my treo than a laptop.

Mike
    Originally posted by smjoshi
    I had some trouble with getting GPRS to work but with some persistant pestering of the Orange tech support, it worked. I have since discontinued it since I don't find the need to use it worth the price that Orange charges. The throughput gets patchy depending on the network congestion at different times of the day but otherwise it works. And just to have a back up I tried it out with a BPL SIM and GPRS worked with BPL network too.
    Satish
    Could you please list the Network settings that you were using to make the GPRS work? Since Hutch in Delhi and Orange in Mumbai are the same company and they use the same GPRS network, your settings would help me in getting my GPRS to work too.

By the way who did you liason with at Orange to get your GPRS to work. I personally spoke to a Mr. Hasu Hasnani, who is supposedly the head technical person at Orange and he had no idea about the Treo600 even after I mentioned you and the fact that you had gotten someone at Orange to get it to work for you. He did say that normally such a case would have been forwarded to him, but he had not heard of or seen the Treo600.

Thanks,
    Sanjay
    Sanjay
    I am told tht Idea works best and have had associates using their Treo with an Idea Sim.

Do any of you guys know if there are any GPRS providers in Goa?? I will be spending a few months there this year and would rather carry my treo than a laptop.

Mike
    IDEA in Delhi uses the 1800 Band and therfore their coverage/signal is weaker than that of Hutch and Airtel, atleast that is what I have heard. Also GPRS is not important enough for me to change my number. Unfortunately we do not have number portability in India and looks like we won't have it for a while, since TRAI just recently made a statement that number portability is not a priority for them due to the expenses involved.

Although I am not sure but in all probability there must be some operator in Goa offering GPRS.
    Originally posted by Sanjay

Could you please list the Network settings that you were using to make the GPRS work?
    By the way who did you liason with at Orange to get your GPRS to work.
    Here are the settings - Service : Hutch_gprs
    Connection : GPRS
    Username & Password : not set
    APN : portalnmms
    IP Address : Automatic
    Query DNS : Check the box

Actually nothing unusual about the settings - they were the same even when I had trouble getting GPRS to work. The sequence of events was - I used a friend's BPL SIM - did the settings as per BPL's website and it worked, I then called Orange - told them if Treo600 works on BPL, why can't they make it work. I still don't think they had to do anything special. As you know they have two GPRS options, I just think they wanted ensure I subscribe to the more expensive option and once I said yes - They got it to work! I have written down somewhere the name of the person I talked to but can't find just now. Will send it you asap.
    Satish
    Satish Joshi
    Do any of you guys know if there are any GPRS providers in Goa??
    Mike
    At least the three service providers BPL, Idea and Airtel that provide cellular service in Goa do not seem to provide GPRS service in Goa (although they do so in various other parts of India) at least there is no mention of GPRS services in Goa on their websites.

Satish
    Satish Joshi
  14.    #14  
    Friends,

Thanks for all ur inputs. To answer the different qs that came up -

1. The phone is factory unlocked.

2. I am located in Bangalore.

I did get the phone to work finally - no explanations...after a few attempts at powering off and on the wireless mode it just started working!

Regarding GPRS - Thanks, Satish...will try it with Hutch in Bangalore and post the feedback. A couple of trips to the Hutch care centers has not worked so far.

Thanks again!
    Ramji
    Hi All, I am using a Treo 270 with an Airtel connection. I have been having a weird problem. GPRS works fine in Delhi and Bangalore but the phone just doesnt connect in Mumbai. Any ideas on solving this one?? Would appreciate any help/ ideas.
    Saurabh Rawla
    I stay in Bangalore, though the phone gets hooked to GPRS, I am unable to connect to net using Hutch prepaid,the customer care guys are useless, the moment they saw my Treo 600 they said Palm can will not have GPRS.
    I have dumped the Hutch and gone BSNL and there is no service provider in India go gives a decent GPRS connectivity.
    Try Airtel, my gprs works very well in b'lore evn in roaming. Using the treo 270 i can surf the net all i want.
    Quote Originally Posted by pghegde
    I stay in Bangalore, though the phone gets hooked to GPRS, I am unable to connect to net using Hutch prepaid,the customer care guys are useless, the moment they saw my Treo 600 they said Palm can will not have GPRS.
    I have dumped the Hutch and gone BSNL and there is no service provider in India go gives a decent GPRS connectivity.
    Ok. Here is the deal with Hutch/Orange and GPRS with a Treo in India, you need to subscribe to their Rs 499/- pm plan called Hutch Access for GPRS to work with a Treo. This I have figured out after 2 and a half years and 3 different Treo models, before finally getting GPRS to work on my Treo600 here in Delhi with Hutch. Since Hutch/Orange accross India use the same GPRS network/settings the same should also apply to Bangalore. Basically you need to subscribe to Hutch Access instead of Hutch GPRS.

By the way I think what Hutch calls GPRS is nothing but WAP which the Treo does not seem to support and what Hutch calls 'Hutch Access', is what actually full GPRS service is.
  19.    #19  
    Hi - Second Sanjay's inputs....Hutch has a WAP service for Rs. 99/- pm. They have a GPRS service (Hutch Access) for Rs. 499/- pm. Mine started working with that one. Good luck!

- Ramji
    I have airtel in chennai and GPRS works fine. As far as roaming is concerned I've travelled through South India and Delhi and it has never failed to connect to GPRS when there is an Airtel network available.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast