Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    To all of those people that complain about their Treo's camera:

Don't ever take a picture again and shut your mouth!

It doesn't matter if you give a $5,000 dollar camera to someone. The truth is, most people suck at taking pictures. Cameras come with auto-focus, red-eye reduction, fast shutter speeds, anything that you can think about. But the fact is that people don't know how to take pictures. They think that all there is to it is pointing and shooting. They see all the beautiful images on magazines, the internet, billboards, and they don't stop to think that the people that took those photos are professionals, that probably went to school for many years. If you use a camera and complain that the pictures came out bad, don't blame the camera, blame yourself.

Im not a professional, but I just read tips and practice on my own, because I know how important is to know how to take pictures. I attached an example of pictures that I've taken with my Treo. I didn't retouch them or anything like that. I just resized them to half size on my computer. Please view the pictures, and then think to yourself: "Hey, Im going to learn how to use the camera on my Treo, so that I can take good pictures too, and stop blaming the hardware, and I can stop posting 'My Treo Camera Sucks' on Treocentral."
    I've never owned a "regular" phone, and never will.

Handspring Visorphone, Handspring Treo 180, Handspring Treo 600, PalmOne Treo 650....
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Here are the Pictures:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I've never owned a "regular" phone, and never will.

Handspring Visorphone, Handspring Treo 180, Handspring Treo 600, PalmOne Treo 650....
    Luna - you should be proud of yourself! Those are some awesome photos.
    yeah it kinda does matter between a VGA camera and a 5000 dollar massive megapixels and speedy shutter speeds...it makes all the difference...yeah if you study tips on how to take pics it makes the 600's cam useful but not nessecairly good. Your average 5000 dollar camera will take amzingly high quality pics even if you do suck, as opposed to the piece of crap they call a camera on the treo...

::edit::

yeah those are good pics...but that doesn't change the fact a 5000 dollar cam could do better...
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
    I agree whole-heartedly with Luna!

First of all, nice pics, Luna!

Second, a key to using the camera (including avoiding the dreaded "blue dots") is proper lighting. This involves patience and a little experience.

Third, no - the Treo 600 is not primarily a camera, it's a phone. BUT - sometimes a picture is about capturing a moment or a thought, rather than being "artsy". Then sharing it with others.

I own a high end, expensive digital camera. And it has its place and time. For example, to capture all the colors of the sunset sky, you would use such a camera (which by the way, also requires patience and skill).

But sometimes I'm walking along the beach shore with my wife and see a beautiful sunset. I don't have my high end expensive camera with me, but YES - I have my Treo 600 with me. So, with a little patience, I "capture the moment"! Or sometimes, my beautiful wife just has this great look, and so, there is my Treo 600, ready to capture the look and the moment. Try putting an expensive, high end camera in your pocket to have with you all the time!!

Mostly, I really enjoy taking some nice pictures of "the moment" and then emailing them via PictureShare or SnapperMail to my wife or friends, or uploading them on a blog to share a thought or a moment. Definitely more practical and convenient than carrying a high end camera around.

My personal opinion is - if you want a camera for outstanding photos - then buy a camera!!
    Last edited by pelican; 02/19/2004 at 08:16 PM.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    I really enjoy my camera and I didn't want one on my Treo to begin with. You have taken some very impressive photos.

Kirby
    Treo 650 unlocked & locked with Cingular
    Wow, Luna!! You have inspired me to work with my camera some more and really see what I can do with it!

Thanks for sharing!

Laurie
    Great pics Luna!

And yes it does take a little finesse to get that good pic.

You need good light, focus and a couple of seconds and you should be in good shape. I typically take multiple pics rather I am taking them with my camera phone or the digicam, the more the pics, the better the chance of getting that good shot!

P.S. I'm trying out Fun Cam since I get multiple shots instead of just one, especially good with pics with children.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Well, I understand both sides of the argument. On one side, you have this great smartphone with integrated camera (the camera is a bonus), on the other hand, you have this really low end camera integrated into your smartphone. I have a very high end camera and sometimes my shots are great and sometimes they stink...practice makes perfect, or at least better. The camera in the Treo is not meant to compete with any camera, only meant to be an added benefit. Comparing it to a 5k camera is crazy. I could easily pick up that high end camera and take a good shot at least 50% of the time where as I think my odds are much much lower with the Treo.

I agree, that it take talent to take great photos, but the high end cameras make it easier than a camera in a phone.

just my 3 cents
    Good thread, good pics.
    I agree that you just can't expect your Treo to compete with a stand alone camera.

My high end 5 mega pixel takes much better shots, no surprises there. My MD player sounds much better than MP3's on my Treo, even if the latest version of Pocket Tunes does sound better than before.

But my Treo is good for snapshots, or to quickly send someone a snap of somh
    The rest of my post was suppose to be:
    But my Treo is good for snapshots, or to quickly send someone a snap of something when word fail to describe it. The MP3 player is good when I don't want to carry my MD player. My PC is better when I want to go online... But the Treo does it all pretty darn well in a compact, always there with you machine.

Does any of that make sense?!
    Originally posted by GeekyMom
    Great pics Luna!

And yes it does take a little finesse to get that good pic.

You need good light, focus and a couple of seconds and you should be in good shape. I typically take multiple pics rather I am taking them with my camera phone or the digicam, the more the pics, the better the chance of getting that good shot!

P.S. I'm trying out Fun Cam since I get multiple shots instead of just one, especially good with pics with children.
    Hi GeekyMom,

I'm wondering how Fun Cam works at taking images at the shortest interval settings. Specifically, can the camera save the images fast enough to your SD card to keep up with your ability to keep taking pictures? I'm imagining that it works like a slow virtual motordrive cranking away at 1 fps

I'm thinking about using Fun Cam at the shortest intervals to produce some "stop action" animation sequences using the Treo. I should be able to take a sequence of images and combine them into a GIF animation using PaintShop's Animation Shop program.

Thanks for any info!
    EdK

P.S. Nice work Luna!
    Handspring Treo 600 R.I.P. ...
    Insurance replacement Sprint Treo 755P ...
    16GB iPhone 3G
    Originally posted by the phoenix
    But my Treo is good for snapshots, or to quickly send someone a snap of something when word fail to describe it. The MP3 player is good when I don't want to carry my MD player. My PC is better when I want to go online... But the Treo does it all pretty darn well in a compact, always there with you machine.

Does any of that make sense?!
    You make perfect sense Phoenix. Let's see:

>my 5 mega pixel camera outdoes my Treo (2 lbs?)

>my 2.4 ghz/60mb notebook is much faster than DocsToGO/Blazer/Snappermail (6 lbs?)

>my iPod/other brand MP3 player outstrips PTunes (.5 - 1lb)

>my gameboy is far better at games (.5 lb)

>Still need a cell phone (.25 lbs)

Sooooo... 7 ounce Treo or 9.25 lbs of gear and a backpack.

Hmmmm........

Folks, it's time to get real about all this. Sure, I'd love a 1mp with circle flash (little flash ring around the lens) to brighten up the pictures, etc., but this is the smallest and most featuer packed all around communication tool in the shed. Voice; email; data; MS Office docs; games; photos; MP3 - we need to keep perspective on it - and as some folks like Luna and Bill K. have proved, it's one hell of a camera when used correctly.
    Originally posted by redshifted

Hi GeekyMom,

I'm wondering how Fun Cam works at taking images at the shortest interval settings. Specifically, can the camera save the images fast enough to your SD card to keep up with your ability to keep taking pictures? I'm imagining that it works like a slow virtual motordrive cranking away at 1 fps

I'm thinking about using Fun Cam at the shortest intervals to produce some "stop action" animation sequences using the Treo. I should be able to take a sequence of images and combine them into a GIF animation using PaintShop's Animation Shop program.

Thanks for any info!
    EdK

P.S. Nice work Luna!
    I set Fun Cam to delay 1st shot to 2 seconds to get subject ready then 5 pic shots at 1 sec intervals. It does a great job, you know the deal with lighting which as always is the challenge with pics. (You can also set it to beep right before each shot)

I am really pleased with the program and looks like I will be purchasing! Just purchased Kinoma Producer yesterday for converting "mini" videos from my digicam for the Treo.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Originally posted by GeekyMom
    I set Fun Cam to delay 1st shot to 2 seconds to get subject ready then 5 pic shots at 1 sec intervals. It does a great job, you know the deal with lighting which as always is the challenge with pics. (You can also set it to beep right before each shot)

I am really pleased with the program and looks like I will be purchasing! Just purchased Kinoma Producer yesterday for converting "mini" videos from my digicam for the Treo.
    Thanks for the info! Sorry, I forgot to ask if this still works when you are using Qset values in the 90s. I know, I know, why don't I just try it myself

Thanks again,
    EdK

P.S. nice sig
    Handspring Treo 600 R.I.P. ...
    Insurance replacement Sprint Treo 755P ...
    16GB iPhone 3G
    The Treo 600 camera *is* horrible. I bought a smartphone, not a camera so I don't care too much. I'm envious of my friends picture phones, but the camera is nothing more than a novelty.
    yes, u take good pics.but think twice m8, expecially indoor, when u want to capture the white board or some quick snap of documents when u have no time to be pro, blur blur blur, no dout treo 600 gives nice pic outdoor, but for a business man most of the use of this mobile is not for out door fun!!!!!!
    Love my Treo's camera. LOVE it!

Just one more added feature to make the whole device a blast to use on a daily basis.

Choice A: Treo-Cam as it is now.
    Choice B: Better camera for an additional $50

I'd take Choice A any time.

Remember, every added component costs cash. The camera is EXTREMELY acceptible for the price of the gadget, no?
    WOW

those are unbelievable pics!!!

Compared to yours, the pics I take with my Treo 600 are like dot matrix.

There has to be some kind of setting you have it on to make the pics come out like that.

Do you know what specifically you have done with the camera's settings???

Thanks,

cXn
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast