Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I find this post to be one of the most amazing I have read thus far. Everyone has their opinion of the camera; some good some bad.

Personally, I think the camera is crap; but I didn't get this phone for the camera.
    Just because your photos came out great (assuming based on what I've read) doesnt give you the right to blast other people about what THEY may feel the quality is.
    Its funny that you scream patience...that is one hell of an assumption on your part that you are the only one that has patience to take a pic.

I am sure that some of the same people who have posted about the 600's picture quality are many of the same poeple who've posted in other forums. Did you go to those other forums and call people (literally) a bunch of cry babies, or did you read what they had to say and actually take the time to give their thoughts some merit?

BTW....I had a lot of patience while typing this on my 600's itty bitty keyboard.
    Five years from now, we'll be complaining once again that our 5MP Treo 6000's camera doesn't look as good as our 20MP Digital SLR. Can't wait...

I use the camera to take little snapshots to send to my kids when I have to be away on business travel. Boats in the harbor. Rockets from the NASA facility I'm visiting. Street vendors in Mexico. Ocean views from the beach. Now when I call my kids from my hotel room, I can describe and to talk to them about the pictures I sent. My dad has started sending me pictures of his travels and, for the first time mind you, I now have some idea what he does at work!

The most important fact is that we have all of this (MP3, PalmOS apps, camera, phone, web/email) with us in a very small package, all the time.

As for the camera part specifically, we can share photos with our family/friends wherever we happen to be. Yup, you need some good light and some experience with photography can help. But taking beautifully composed photographs is really not the point, even though the quality will only get better.
    Last edited by work2fish; 02/21/2004 at 08:28 AM.
    Originally posted by work2fish
    Five years from now, we'll be complaining once again that our 5MP Treo 6000's camera doesn't look as good as our 20MP Digital SLR. Can't wait.
    Or the elusive Treo 6100
    Originally posted by shreksbrother

Or the elusive Treo 6100

LOL
    right on the money Shrek!
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Okay, so I'm not the only one dissatisfied with the picture quality.

However, what are you guys doing thats so time consuming to do? Right now, I whip out the Treo 600, press right on the pad, and the press the center button for the pic...sometimes I have to wait till the blue dots are gone, but thats it.

What are you guys doing to improve your quality thats taking so much time to do?....Or maybe you guys are using a 3rd party app to take the picture????

Thanks,

cXn
    Originally posted by crucifixion
    What are you guys doing to improve your quality thats taking so much time to do?....Or maybe you guys are using a 3rd party app to take the picture????
    For one thing, the photos look much better when reduced 50% and saved with less compression which is what was done with the sample. It also helps to save only the few useable images and discard the rest.

I've taken many hundreds of photos with the camera in different conditions and continue to be underwhelmed. Perhaps one in 50 photos has the proper focus, brightness and contrast to be worth saving. Don't even worry about the color accuracy. I am use to taking photos and having my ability be the determining factor. With the Treo I can do everything right and still get lousy results.

There may be considerable variation in camera quality. I suspect mine is on the low end. I wish there was some standarized way to test the image quality and get the unit replaced if it is sub-par but the Sprint rep just laughed when I asked if that could be done.
    A very big step is to understand the limits of your tool's capability, and either accept it or reject it. Whining is fruitless (not that I meant guys here whine about it.) You just do something about it.

It is not a good indoor, low-light camera. Forget about it. Move on. Unless you can experiment with a flash and use the test button on the flash and capture the picture on one hand. I haven't tried that yet.

But for what it can do, I am happy with it. But a good picture does not start with the camera. It starts with the picture taker. It starts with the picture in your head.

So far those who shared their pics here where the tool is good at has used it well, mostly daylight. Indoors unless there is a generous illumination especially from fluorescent lamps, it is doable.
    Originally posted by ManofTrueGod
    It is not a good indoor, low-light camera. Forget about it. Move on. Unless you can experiment with a flash and use the test button on the flash and capture the picture on one hand. I haven't tried that yet.
    Have you tried to look for a snap on flash? I saw one in BB a year or so ago, but since then they no longer carry them. Also did a brief search on the web but haven't had any luck.

I mention this because I noticed that when I adjust the flood type adjustable flexible lamps in my home in the direction of the subject in my indoor shots I get much better pics.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Originally posted by ManofTrueGod
    A very big step is to understand the limits of your tool's capability, and either accept it or reject it.
    The limits of this "tool"--and I use that term in the same sense that toilet paper is a tool--are so great that it is not much more than a toy. Decent photos can be taken but even in broad daylight results are a crapshoot. I have made and used pin-hole cameras that gave better results.
    Now, that you know the limitation for you, you now have better data to make any decision either way.
    Well, it seems that most here are in agreement. The camera can be great, if you know how to use it. That's a big "if." I love taking great pictures, but honestly, I'm not that good at it. Don't get me wrong, I would love to study and learn about lighting and such, but I cannot afford to make the time.

A good analogy would be tennis: Venus Williams could easily whoop any of us using a 1970's wood racquet with worn strings. I, on the other hand, would need the latest and greatest graphite racquet just to get the ball over the net (I hope that's a slight exageration ).

Now, if the Treo was sold without a camera for $50 less, I'm sure many of us, including myself, would have taken them up on it. However, I would have glady paid even more than I did if the camera was 2MP (maybe with a few exposure controls). This way, my pathetic camera skills may be put to some decent use. I have no doubt that these devices will have excellent cameras in the near future.
    Originally posted by GalenMD
    The camera can be great, if you know how to use it. That's a big "if."
    Great? No. It is barely adequate for undemanding uses under ideal conditions. The camera can't cost more than a couple of dollars to manufacture. The purpose of it is to help lure customers into buying time.
    Originally posted by Luna
    To all of those people that complain about their Treo's camera:

Don't ever take a picture again and shut your mouth!

It doesn't matter if you give a $5,000 dollar camera to someone. The truth is, most people suck at taking pictures. Cameras come with auto-focus, red-eye reduction, fast shutter speeds, anything that you can think about. But the fact is that people don't know how to take pictures. They think that all there is to it is pointing and shooting. They see all the beautiful images on magazines, the internet, billboards, and they don't stop to think that the people that took those photos are professionals, that probably went to school for many years. If you use a camera and complain that the pictures came out bad, don't blame the camera, blame yourself.

Im not a professional, but I just read tips and practice on my own, because I know how important is to know how to take pictures. I attached an example of pictures that I've taken with my Treo. I didn't retouch them or anything like that. I just resized them to half size on my computer. Please view the pictures, and then think to yourself: "Hey, Im going to learn how to use the camera on my Treo, so that I can take good pictures too, and stop blaming the hardware, and I can stop posting 'My Treo Camera Sucks' on Treocentral."
    Excellent pics!

Did you use the Qset application to change the JPEG compression ratio? If not, I tried it out and it really does improve the quality of the camera pics when viewed on a PC.
    www.gsmworld.com
    Originally posted by GalenMD
    Well, it seems that most here are in agreement. The camera can be great, if you know how to use it. That's a big "if." I love taking great pictures, but honestly, I'm not that good at it. Don't get me wrong, I would love to study and learn about lighting and such, but I cannot afford to make the time.
    Suspension Of Disbelief! <~~~ I am not convinced that more wasnt done to the original posters pics to make them look as they do. When I first responded to this thread, I was sitting at work getting irritated that someone would say patience is all that is needed to take such great pics; now that I've seen them, I'd like to know what Luna used along with patience that produced these images.

IF? A disposable camera takes better pictures than that of the T6. If anyone else can step to the plate and say they have taken pics like this, WITHOUT the use of any enhancements, I'm willing to listen.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Here's a data point to consider.

Specs:

Unretouched, full-size image of dry-erase whiteboard
    Sprint CDMA Treo 600 Rev C v1.10
    No Qset
    Downloaded from Sprint PCS Vision Picture Mail Site
    North window illumination
    No care taken except holding the camera steady

Enjoy,
    EdK
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Handspring Treo 600 R.I.P. ...
    Insurance replacement Sprint Treo 755P ...
    16GB iPhone 3G
    Originally posted by scandalex

Suspension Of Disbelief! <~~~ I am not convinced that more wasnt done to the original posters pics to make them look as they do. When I first responded to this thread, I was sitting at work getting irritated that someone would say patience is all that is needed to take such great pics; now that I've seen them, I'd like to know what Luna used along with patience that produced these images.

IF? A disposable camera takes better pictures than that of the T6. If anyone else can step to the plate and say they have taken pics like this, WITHOUT the use of any enhancements, I'm willing to listen.
    Try this site:

http://www.wireless-doc.com/treophototips.htm

You may find it helpful. I'll agree, the camera is a far cry from even my old Samsung 1 mega-pixel first generation digital camera - but what can you really expect at this level. I've seen lots of pics from other camera phones, and they tend to look better on the small hi res screens they use (mainly because they are 65k tft in a very small window) but look at them on your PC monitor - not so hot, huh. Same for my old Zire 71 - picture quality not substantially better than the Treo 600 - and no phone to boot.

Maybe you should just put some black electrician's tape over the camera lens and forget you even have it.
    Originally posted by redshifted
    Here's a data point to consider.

Specs:

Unretouched, full-size image of dry-erase whiteboard
    Sprint CDMA Treo 600 Rev C v1.10
    No Qset
    Downloaded from Sprint PCS Vision Picture Mail Site
    North window illumination
    No care taken except holding the camera steady

Enjoy,
    EdK
    Your blog, using the Treo 600 camera also states "The images are minimally processed in PaintShopPro v8.10 using the resizing, color balancing, sharpening and contrast adjustment tools."
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Originally posted by scandalex

Your blog, using the Treo 600 camera also states "The images are minimally processed in PaintShopPro v8.10 using the resizing, color balancing, sharpening and contrast adjustment tools."
    That is correct. I tweak my images for my Blog to refine my visual message. I believe in truth-in-advertising. I use the Treo camera as a creative tool. Anyway, every photo distorts reality to some degree.

The whiteboard attachment is straight out of the camera with NO ADJUSTMENTS OF ANY KIND. If I was really interested in sharing the whiteboard image with someone in a business environment, I would adjust the contrast and use one of the sharpening tools. No biggie!

EdK
    Handspring Treo 600 R.I.P. ...
    Insurance replacement Sprint Treo 755P ...
    16GB iPhone 3G
    Originally posted by dstrauss
    Maybe you should just put some black electrician's tape over the camera lens and forget you even have it.

First, my responses were all in conjunction to the original poster, and those there after.

Second, I cant think of any reason why I'd want to ruin the look of my phone with some damn electrical tape. Do you decorate yours like that?
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    now that I've seen them, I'd like to know what Luna used along with patience that produced these images.
    What did I use?

1. My Treo 600
    2. Qset, set at 80
    3. Take lots of pictures! Later you can decide wich ones are worth keeping.
    4. I resized the pictures from 640x480 to 320x240

Nothing more than resizing was done to the pictures.

Thanks to all for your comments! I hope that this will inspire people to practice and begin taking good pictures.

I took this picture in a Mexican Restaurant:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I've never owned a "regular" phone, and never will.

Handspring Visorphone, Handspring Treo 180, Handspring Treo 600, PalmOne Treo 650....
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast