Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I beg the moderator's indulgance in not moving this posting elsewhere. I think what I have to say is important enough to justify it. The high volume of traffic in this forum is why I'm choosing to post here.

Some of you may know that it is possible to get "free" internet access with T-Mobile's free WAP by using a proxy w/ Blazer. Numerous posts refer to a web site free-proxies.com. Please note that NONE of the proxies listed there are tested for security. It is possible that the proxies being handed out on that site are being run by hackers who can filter the traffic and extract all kinds of data like passwords, etc.

I've decided to stop using Blazer because of this. I'm now using Eurora Web which requires no proxy for some reason. I'm asking individuals with more expertise than I to post here with their comments and suggestions.

Bottom line is that if you intend to use Blazer w/ your "free" T-Mo internet then you need to be DAMN SURE that you can trust your proxy provider. If someone knows of a reliable proxy, You'd be doing us all a favor to post it here.
    Could always run your own proxy if its a problem.
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by middle_man
    Could always run your own proxy if its a problem.
    I suppose so, but I think my ISP would be pissed off. I'm also not particularly interested in running a proxy that others might discover and use.

There has to be a trustworthy public proxy out there.
    Originally posted by duoart

I suppose so, but I think my ISP would be pissed off. I'm also not particularly interested in running a proxy that others might discover and use.

It's hard to believe that in this day and age your ISP would care or even notice that you have a proxy running, especially if you are using it for the lowly amount of traffic that the Treo can handle. Also, you can secure your proxy somewhat by choosing a high, non-standard port number and only allowing certain ranges of IP addresses to use it, in which case, for example, only IP numbers from T-Mobile wireless phones would be able to discover it by port scanning (fat chance) . I ran a proxy this way for a long time and the logs never showed anyone else using it.

If you want higher security, I would also guess that it would be possible to add some additional security measures to authenticate yourself with the proxy before using it.
    Last edited by silverado; 02/20/2004 at 11:08 AM.
    The web application works fine without a proxy on my T-Mobile Treo 600. I got mine from corporate sales.

Run your own and protect it with a password; set a cookie and trust blazer to keep it.
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by northreal
    The web application works fine without a proxy on my T-Mobile Treo 600. I got mine from corporate sales.
    Really? Blazer works with no proxy with just WAP service and not the $19.99 unlimited internet?

If so, that's WAY cool. If that's what "optimized" means for us T-Mo customers, I'm all for it. I'll take back every nasty thing I've said about T-Mo if what you're saying is true. I'm a lowly T180 owner who's expecting delivery of his T600 in another week or so.

Can anyone else confirm or deny?
    You don't need a proxy; you do need to learn how to search and read the forum messages.

T-Mobile provides free GPRS service, but it's limited to a handful of ports. You can check email and regular web pages, for example, but you can't access secure web pages.

If you want to be able to access any ports, you need to spend the $20/month for T-Mobile Internet or VPN service. Or you can use a proxy server to re-route the ports you want to access to one of the ones you are allowed under the free service.

One can also use a proxy server to make things faster by compressing images, but this is a different function (of a proxy server) than what you're talking about.

You can always add T-Mobile Internet or VPN service, so you might want to check things out without it, and only add it if you find you need it.

You should also check the forum for threads about T-Mobile's T-Zones service, which 99% of the users here have found is unnecessary. Either just use the totally free service, or the $20 T-Mobile Internet or VPN service, but not the $5 or $10 T-Zones service.

Bill S
    Been through many posts on here about this issue, but it seems a bit hard to get a concise answer to the simple question:

Is the claim that you can have regular web access (port 80) with only a voice plan?

Thanks in advance.
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by silverado
    Been through many posts on here about this issue, but it seems a bit hard to get a concise answer to the simple question:

Is the claim that you can have regular web access (port 80) with only a voice plan?

Thanks in advance.
    Ditto Silverado. I'm using a T180 and I NEED to use a proxy w/ Blazer. I don't with Eudora Web for some reason. My T600 will be arriving next week (hopefully) and I suspect my questions will be answered.

tvBilly,

Don't be such a smartass. I know how to use search and have probably been watching those threads a lot closer than you.

I'm beginning to think that the reason the T270 and T180 users need to use a proxy has something to do with DNS. I suspect the version of Blazer that ships on those units does not query the DNS server correctly or accesses the IP stack in some dumb way. If someone has the IP addresses of T-Mo's DNS servers, then I suppose I could hard code those into Blazer.
    tvBilly,

Don't be such a smartass. I know how to use search and have probably been watching those threads a lot closer than you.
    I was trying to tell you the answers to your questions have been given in at least a half dozen threads already. If I was trying to be a smartass, I wouldn't have taken the time to tell you what the answers were.

Now I'll be a smartass.

It's generally against my nature to help someone who calls me names, and who won't listen, but what the hell, I'll give it one more try. I guess you just don't understand. You may have been watching the threads closer than I was (not very likely), but you obvioulsy didn't have a clue as to what you were reading.

I gave you the answer in my reply. The threads you watched so closely gave you the answer. Here it is again. You don't need to use a proxy with T-Mobile service unless you want to. You don't need to pay extra for data service unless you need to access HTTPS or Streaming Audio/Video or other than the standard web and email ports. If you just want non-secure (http, port 80) web and email (pop, smtp, imap), and the like, it's FREE. If you want to know exactly what services (ie what ports) the FREE gprs covers, re-read one or two of the threads you been watching so closely.

The reason the T270 and T180 need to use a proxy, btw, has nothing to do with DNS. The reason is they have WAP browsers not HTTP browsers, and can only display WAP content, not standard web pages. The proxy they need translates the web HTTP (html) to WAP (xml?) so the WAP browser in the T270 and T180 will work. The T600 has a full HTTP browser and doesn't need translating.

Bill S

Thanks in advance.
    It's not a claim, it's a fact.

You need to make sure they provision GPRS on your account (I'm not sure it's automatic), which is free.

You don't need T-Zones or TMobile Internet or TMobile VPN to browse regular web pages or email.

Is that concise enough?

Bill S
  13.    #13  
    Billy,

You're still an obnoxious smartass.

You coulda just said Blazer on the 180/270 does not support HTTP while it does on the 600. You coulda also just referenced the damn threads or given me the keywords to do my own search.

The search comment was completely uncalled for and you danced around the issue itself in your evasive response. To be honest, I really did not spend much time reading the rest of your response because I was so offended by your "can't search" comment.

Your "is that concise enough" coment to Silverado is pretty snotty too.
    Billy,

So a voice plan is entitled to GPRS provisioning on T-Mobile? I want to know in case I am faced with a representative that wouldn't just do what I say.

Thanks.
  15.    #15  
    Silverado,

I'll answer for him, lest he cop still more attitude:

Yep, just ask for Free WAP. My wife's doing it w/ the $19.99 plan.

Incredible eh? Gotta love T-Mo!
    Billy,

You're still an obnoxious smartass.
    Well, maybe to those that deserve. Don't hold your breath for help from me in the future.

You coulda just said Blazer on the 180/270 does not support HTTP while it does on the 600.
    Umm, I did. In the message right after you mentioned that you were using a T180. Maybe if you had posted the original message in the correct section (T-Mobile) rather than here in the T600 section, I could have figured it out before you said it. Then again, why would I be spending time with you if I had a crystal ball...

You coulda also just referenced the damn threads or given me the keywords to do my own search.
    So let me get this straight. You're complaining that instead of giving you references to threads with the answers, or giving you keywords to search, I just gave you all the answers in my reply, to save you time and effort. Like it's my fault you didn't read the message.

Your "is that concise enough" coment to Silverado is pretty snotty too.
    Well, again, maybe to you. I certainly didn't mean it that way. Maybe I should have ended the line with a smiley? HIS message said "it seems a bit hard to get a concise answer" so I gave him a concise answer and ended it with that.

Feel free to have the last word; I've said all I'm gonna to you.
    Billy,

So a voice plan is entitled to GPRS provisioning on T-Mobile? I want to know in case I am faced with a representative that wouldn't just do what I say.

Thanks.
    Yup, though as duoart suggests, you're probably better off referring to it as "Free WAP" rather than "GPRS provisioning" to a T-Mo sales rep (save the "GPRS provisioning" for a data services rep if for some reason it doesn't get turned on at sales time; you can have your service provisioned over the phone at any time if it isn't. Only takes a short while; a few minutes to maybe an hour).

Bill S
  18.    #18  
    Originally posted by tvBilly

SNIP!

Umm, I did. In the message right after you mentioned that you were using a T180. Maybe if you had posted the original message in the correct section (T-Mobile) rather than here in the T600 section, I could have figured it out before you said it. Then again, why would I be spending time with you if I had a crystal ball...

Hey, I mentioned my 180 in note 7 of this thread, two hours later you responded with a comment about "learning to search" and no mention of Blazer's limitations on the 180.

Looks to me like you diddn't pick up the fact I had a 180 at that time. I'll forgive you for that, but not for the "learning to search" junk.

I'm sorry but people who open their responses with comments about searches always rub me the wrong way. I don't do it and I think too many people do.

PS, I did post this to the GSM forum (there is no T-Mo specific forum that I can see) and I've been watching that thread like a hawk.
    Thank you!

I'm sorry but people who open their responses with comments about searches always rub me the wrong way. I don't do it and I think too many people do.
    Douart, I understand how you feel here. Something about someone saying a search wasnt done just gets up under my skin.

A post of mine (on a different board) was removed 20 minutes after I clicked send because the moderator felt I was posting something that had already been covered and had the nerve to tell me "if I had searched."
    Needless to say, I didnt take it lightly; for the sheer fact that on that board, a search can be done as far back as 1 year, and thats exactly what I had done prior to posting my question.

The moderator and I exchanged some back and forth PM's and the bottom line, I rec'd an apology because the moderator <cough> accidentally removed it.

You and Billy have gone back and forth with this. You have gotten your answer; may not have been in a manner in which you would have provided an answer, but one nonethesame. Maybe Billy could have been a bit nice; no one likes to be told that they didnt search or didnt search properly. All of that was not condusive to the answer you were looking for.

It's time for both of you to drop this.....please. Its been asked and answered....lets move on.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast