Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I know it will probably be a huge technical answer which I may or may not comprehend....

But why can't there be an application like MMPlayer with bookmarks to go onto the internet and be able to select and stream the video/audio from those internet TV feeds just like PocketTunes does with "ShoutCast"?

The demo of MobiTV in the Sprint store seemed to be similar to what I get on Shoutcast..... only with video too.

Does it all depend on JAVA to work? Are there currently other PalmOS devices and applications able to do what we want out of our T600 and MobiTV already out there somewhere?
    "Arguing with a police officer is like mud wrestling a pig.
    Eventually you realize that the pig likes it."
    The plot thickens...

Here's the email I received yesterday from MobiTV Customer Support:

---
    Thanks you for contacting MobiTV customer support.

Thank you for your interest in MobiTV. We are aware that the Treo 600 now supports Java applications, and that there is a large base of Treo 600 owners who are waiting for MobiTV access. In light of these developments, we are considering opening a Treo 600 port. If you are interested in participating in testing for MobiTV, please let us know, and we will contact you when we begin.

Thank you,
    XXXXX [name removed]
    MobiTV Customer Support
    ----

A real response from an actual support rep and not their usual canned response! I'll be sending them a reply right away to let them know of my interest of participating in testing MobiTV on our beloved Treo 600.
    Let us know where to send a message so we can all participate in the beta test!
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Please let us know who to contact to take part in testing MobiTV. Thanks
    JBoogie:

I got the exact same message (cut & paste) from MobiTV and I replied back and confirmed that I wanted to be on the "beta tester list".

At least they recognize that we are out here and they say they are working on it. I assume that has to be considered progress!!

Let's keep them on their toes and on the task of releasing it for the T600!

The E-Mail link to their Customer Support from their website is: MobiTV Customer Support
    "Arguing with a police officer is like mud wrestling a pig.
    Eventually you realize that the pig likes it."
    Screw MobiTv... let the developers of PocketTunes support NSV (Nullsoft Streaming Video) since they already strem Nullsoft's shoutcast format....
    beergeek and UFGATOR: What ChiefBragg said! Just email them and tell them you want MobiTV on the Treo 600. That's all I did.
    Emailing them today........
    MMPlayer lets you play video over the network - go to Playlist->Add and change the popup box in the top right-hand corner to URL.

Thanks,
    Peter
    Quote Originally Posted by noahas
    mk3cn4,

Sorry to take this off topic, but I was a big infone fan too ... until I got my Treo. With DA 3.0 on the Treo, what value does infone add?

I am also trying to figure the value of PalmVNC, but that will be another thread ...
    Example: I was out of town at a party, the host was out of Propane for his grill. He himself was new to his own area. I fired up ol' Infone, told the Infone operator I really needed to find a place close to me that sells propane. I gave them the city/zipcode. While I was on the phone they did the legwork and transferred me to my first contact right up the road. Got a recording, they were closed, so I hit * to get back to Infone and they forwarded me to the next. Had to do this like 4 times. We eventually found someone who had propane, all for the cost of ONE CALL (89 cents I think). Infone also has a way to tell the operator an email address, where they then forward your call to an automated system that let's you EMAIL a voice message to someone (haven't tried this one yet). The point is that Infone is like a complete total personal assistant, and you can do about anything for $.89. The sky's the limit, and it's CHEAP, and requires zero effort for less than a buck.

One other instance, I was shopping around for an odd part for a car. Instead of looking up the numbers for all the car parts places nearby, called INFONE where they forwarded me to the first, then hit *, had them forward me to the second, and so on.. didn't have to look up a single number, didn't even have to know what car parts stores were around to FIND their number, didn't have to do anything. I just love it.

PalmVNC: In the car, hear a song on the radio I haven't heard in years. Fire up PalmVNC and remote control my home P2P where I search and download it on the spot.

Anyone else wanna discuss, let's please start a new thread.

-mk3cn4

----------------------------------------
    mk3cn4 uses a Treo 600 with ReqWireless Web Browser (others are useless IMO), Snappermail, Xiino, PalmVNC... and is a big infone fan. Cheaper and magnatudes better than Sprint's 411 ripoff, www.infone.com.
    Here's as far as I got on this...it runs! but that's it....

I only did the "TRIAL" verison...don't want any legal hassles...

But...C'MON MobiTV...how hard could this be now that there's Java for the Treo!

p.s. I tried this on a T650...perhaps someone else can figure out how to get it workin 100%
    Attached Files Attached Files
    yeah, it definitley runs. . . does look more hopeful than before.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Tekara
    yeah, it definitley runs. . . does look more hopeful than before.
    Did you get the demo channel to run.
    nope the program just starts, it didn't try and connect to vision so I am thinknig that if someone could tweak the connection it might do it.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

nope the program just starts, it didn't try and connect to vision so I am thinknig that if someone could tweak the connection it might do it.
    Thanks!

Does Rob have his 650 ordered?
    yeah actually he does! He ordered direct from palmone, hopefully they ship soon so that rob can get crunching away on a new version.

yeah actually he does! He ordered direct from palmone, hopefully they ship soon so that rob can get crunching away on a new version.
    Quote Originally Posted by treonew
    Here's as far as I got on this...it runs! but that's it....

I only did the "TRIAL" verison...don't want any legal hassles...

But...C'MON MobiTV...how hard could this be now that there's Java for the Treo!

p.s. I tried this on a T650...perhaps someone else can figure out how to get it workin 100%
    Tried it on my Treo600. It comes up, but the buttons don't work - in fact, I needed to do a soft reset to get things working again. I'm running the Java VM.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefBragg
    I know it will probably be a huge technical answer which I may or may not comprehend....

But why can't there be an application like MMPlayer with bookmarks to go onto the internet and be able to select and stream the video/audio from those internet TV feeds just like PocketTunes does with "ShoutCast"?

The demo of MobiTV in the Sprint store seemed to be similar to what I get on Shoutcast..... only with video too.

Does it all depend on JAVA to work? Are there currently other PalmOS devices and applications able to do what we want out of our T600 and MobiTV already out there somewhere?

FYI, the latest beta of MMplayer does unofficially support streaming mpg. Also the 650 some integrated with 3GPP support which is basically a format for streaming mpg in quicktime format...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    mmplayer's streaming is shoddy at best, the only thing I have been able to stream is their zztop video. I can't even stream files off my own webserver, for some reason mmplayer can't recognize the avi file through the internet, but it plays them fine off an SD card.

There's chatter on the mmplayer forums that the new version will support rtsp streaming. But we'll see, everything is rather dead over there and the developer seems to have abandoned his roadmap.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast