1.    #1  
    I'm trying my hand at making custom wireless mode splash screens. I have made one for now, it can be found at http://www.tavisjohn.com/treo600. Let me know if it works/does not work for you, and what phone/system you have.

I have a Sprint Treo 600 and it works fine for me.
    Palm III > Palm IIIC > Handera 330 > Kyocera 6035 & Sony NR70V > Treo 600 > Treo650 & Palm LifeDrive > Modded LifeDrive w/16gig CF > Palm Pre
    nice splashscreens...how about mandrake or redhat for us die-hard linux fans...
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
  3.    #3  
    I'll see what I can do. I just want to make sure that the screen that I made is stable. Now if only a brave GSM user would give them a spin... On well, I guess they can have at the backgrounds that I make.
    Palm III > Palm IIIC > Handera 330 > Kyocera 6035 & Sony NR70V > Treo 600 > Treo650 & Palm LifeDrive > Modded LifeDrive w/16gig CF > Palm Pre
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by SprintTreo600
    nice splashscreens...how about mandrake or redhat for us die-hard linux fans...
    I could use some images of the startup/shutdown process. I am not running Linux, so I do not have any frame of reference.
    Originally posted by Tavisjohn

I could use some images of the startup/shutdown process. I am not running Linux, so I do not have any frame of reference.

Linux startups arent like windows....linux shows in text the proccesses and such that it starts up at boot time...

One thing you could do is google for mandrake and redhat logos...you can use those and at the bottom for connecting you could put "Booting..." and for disconnect you could put "Killing Processes..." or something of the sort.
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by SprintTreo600

Linux startups arent like windows....linux shows in text the proccesses and such that it starts up at boot time...

One thing you could do is google for mandrake and redhat logos...you can use those and at the bottom for connecting you could put "Booting..." and for disconnect you could put "Killing Processes..." or something of the sort.
    Cool, I wanted to be authentic if possible. I have gotten a bunch of logos. I'll start messing with Photoshop and will post here when I get everything working.
    doesn't work with TVBilly's AQUA overlays. Waiting for his detailed guide on how to edit the overlay and customize connect/disconnect logos. Thanks for sharing your efforts anyway.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
  8.    #8  
    His idea is to complex for my taste. I'll stick to Skinner. Wich after I get a few more Wireless Mode replacements created... and I get the process down pat. I was thinking of making Skinner Skins next... No promisses tho.
    Originally posted by ChemEngr
    doesn't work with TVBilly's AQUA overlays. Waiting for his detailed guide on how to edit the overlay and customize connect/disconnect logos. Thanks for sharing your efforts anyway.
    You need to be using a resource editor, and you need to take Tavisjohn's graphics (or anyone's graphics) and paste them into the overlay file. The graphics have to be in a format that the Palm OS expects to find inside applications, not in the format we normally share pictures. No jpegs, no gifs, no photoshop formats, etc.; just a specfic bitmap format that the Palm OS uses. This is the format of the graphics in all the overlay files I posted; this is the format of the graphics in the Phone application itself; this is the only format that will work.

How you actually do this depends entirely on what resource editor you are using, what format the graphics that you've created are in, whether you're adding a new resource or replacing an existing one, etc...

Anyway, I actually have explained nearly everything already with regard to "how to have different pictures in your Phone application without degrading or destablizing your phone", and I'm not sure how much more of a detailed guide there's going to be in that regard. Probably I'll just consolidate the information I put in two or three of my messages in the main thread, post it on my web site, and add any tidbits I forgot.

I think the next step will (should probably?) be a tutorial on how to use a resource editor to get pictures into the format needed, (and then into a working overlay file). I'm not sure I'm gonna be the one writing the resource editor tutorial though; maybe. In the mean while, a few members have already started to do this (check the main thread), and I'm sure if you ask for help about using a resource editor to get graphics into the right format, and into the overlay file, you'll get help. I'm sure that a number of people would like to be using Tavisjohn's graphics.

Bill S

ps Skinner is not a bad idea if you don't want to bothered with learning all of this, and it includes a rudimentary editor that runs on a PC. It may also allow you to paste in graphics you've created with another program (I can't remember if it does or not). There aren't very many Skinner graphics available though, and other than the AQUA buttons that Derek made for them, I don't see myself using any of them. I also don't recall if Skinner supports replacing the carrier logo screens ("Connecting" and "Disconnecting"), but I think so.

The real "problem" (or "feature", depending on your perspective) with Skinner is that it's a closed system; you need to buy Skinner to use it and the graphics it creates. You can only share graphics you make with other Skinner users, not the general public that doesn't own Skinner.
  10.    #10  
    Thank you for the complements. I guess I must be the only one making custom stuff for the public. The only question I have is... It is possible to use one "Aqua Grafx" button set with a seperate Wireless screen set. If so, then I may try to figure out how to get it all to work together. However if both are stored in the same file... Then I do not know.

However I have added a couple of Mandrake Wireless Mode screens to my Treo 600 web page. I am not going to do too many of these untill I can either figure out how to make them compatable with "Aqua Grafx" or If I decide to just give up on that... Time will tell.
    Originally posted by Tavisjohn
    <snip> The only question I have is... It is possible to use one "Aqua Grafx" button set with a seperate Wireless screen set. If so, then I may try to figure out how to get it all to work together. However if both are stored in the same file... Then I do not know.
    With the "scheme" I'm using (the overlay file) and with Skinner, there can only be one "override" file in use at a time. So all the modifications you want have to be in that one file.

That's the "problem" with customized graphics distribution. Every little difference requires a different file. So if you have (1) dial buttons, (2) favorites buttons, (3) carrier screens, (4) voicemail icons, and (5) preferences (like what order things appear in the pop-up Redial List, or whether call duration shows up), then all of a sudden you need 600 different files for people to download (I made up the 600 number, you can figure the actual number out if you want, it's a lot of files, way more than 600 if you include all the different carrier screens you've personally made already!). Plus as soon as anyone makes a new graphic, you gotta create another few hundred (or thousand) new versions.

The answer is to learn how to assemble your own overlay file, containing exactly what YOU want. Or for one of us to write an application specifically designed to edit and create Phone overlay files.

Bill S