1.    #1  
    Not sure if this is a software question or a hardware one but does anyone here know if I can use my Treo 600 as a voice recording device? I would like to be able to record ideas, to do's, reminders or even meetings and conversation on my Treo. Is there software available to do this?

Thanks!
    There was a discussion last week about that. I really need the capibality as well, and unfortunatly the answer is no. I really need the feature, but for some reason my $600 device cant do what my very old visor can...record voice memos.

Sucks, doesn't it?
  3.    #3  
    I can't believe that. It seems the Treo has all the necessary hardware parts: a microphone. Isn't there someone out there smart enough to program a way to activate the mic and record sound? Where's Edison when you need him?
    I'm a programmer, I downloaded the SDK.. Shouldn't be too hard, just waiting for someone else to do the work so I won't have to.

Hardest part of any project for me is just starting..

dextius
    inevitable.
    I'm just about ready to buy back my 7135 and deal with multiple daily hard resets and Verizon's lackluster C/S....on second thought, Ill stick with the T600 for the time being. But if after spending damn near $800 on the phone and software & accessories on this t600 that came stock with my 7135 (like uh, a cradle?, and voice memo and mp3 to ringtone converting software?) my only recourse to getting voice memo functionality is to drop another 6 bills to get the latest and greatest, not 6 months later, I'm gonna say to hell with it, and dust off my timeport 270 and my Visor and call it a day.

D
    "Think. It's Patriotic."
    there are a lot of us here who will pay good money for this ability . . easily $30 from me. this topic has been discussed many times over the last 6 months but no one can do it. Someone be a hero.
    From what I have read the functionality to record audio on the Treo 600 has been removed and/or the ability to do so in the SDK has not be disclosed yet. I've personally have been playing around with the SDK for a few weeks now trying to build an app that would allow me to record a phone call, but so far I can't find anything in the HS or Palm SDKs that can capture the audio data. The HS SDK has a function called "HsSndFormatRecord" but in the description it says "Currently a stub and not implemented yet." which leaves me to believe that we'll have to wait for a new SDK or a ROM update for the Treo before it's possible.
    Wow! When can i buy it? It said it's compatable with T6. Is it available now? It seems i can buy it from the P1 site...but can i really?
    Scroll down, says coming Spring '04 for T600
    Originally posted by dave9322
    Wow! When can i buy it? It said it's compatable with T6. Is it available now? It seems i can buy it from the P1 site...but can i really?
    Whooops! As i read further, it said that T6 compatability coming in Spring...i cant wait!
  11.    #12  
    Originally posted by SprintTreoUser
    Soon....

http://software.palmone.com//Platfor...Id=0&catalog=1
    I guess someone decided to take care of this after all. That's great! Thanks for the info, SprintTreoUser!
    I contacted Audacity Audio. They say that the Spring 2004 timeframe is when Handspring/pa1mOne told them that the Treo software would be updated to allow their program to work. They have not found some hack that lets build this app for the present Treo 600. They suggest we contact pa1mOne and express our complaints to get them to get a move on.

If you want to be on a mailing list to be told when this product is avaiable send an email to:

<treo600@audacityaudio.com>

Regards,
    --Mathew
    Last edited by mathewlu; 02/19/2004 at 12:28 PM.
    Originally posted by mathewlu
    I contacted Audacity Audio. They say that the Spring 2004 timeframe is when Handspring/pa1mOne told them that the Treo software would be updated to allow their program to work. They have not found some hack that lets build this app for the present Treo 600. They suggest we contact pa1mOne and express our complaints to get them to get a move on.

If you want to be on a mailing list to be told when this product is avaiable send an email to:

Regards,
    --Mathew
    Regarding the Audacity DVR app, there was thread found below detailing the corespondence with Audiost regarding their app:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...scription.html

I just posted info in that thread but will also repeat it here: I recently contacted Audiost again for an update on the status of their DVR app, but they said they still haven't received any word about any upgrade from PalmOne. They also mentioned this:

The Treo has 2 processors, one for the telephone/radio and one for the Palm OS. There is communication paths between the two including audio from the Palm processor. Unfortunately audio data from the mic does not make it to the Palm OS processor.

Handspring tried to implement this before releasing the Treo 600, but ran out of time and the changes needed were somewhat risky in that they could accidentally break other things and would need a lot of testing.

Hopefully the next version of the Treo will support voice recording. It is possible that a software upgrade for the Treo 600 could be released, but it is unlikely since it would involve updating not just the Palm OS but also the radio processor code as well.

Tom Harrah
    Audacity Audio
    www.audacityaudio.com
    Thus, there is a possibility that current Treo600 users will never be able to utilize voice recording capability if this patch is only used for newer versions of the Treo600 series.. I certianly hope not and the folks at Audiost encouraged me to tell others to email and request PalmOne that they release the patch soon to ALL Treo600 users! Let only hope...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by mathewlu

Regards,
    --Mathew
    Cool, good to know that it is possible. Once the new SDK is available I should be able to finish my voice/movie recording application.
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

Regarding the Audacity DVR app, there was thread found below detailing the corespondence with Audiost regarding their app:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...scription.html

I just posted info in that thread but will also repeat it here: I recently contacted Audiost again for an update on the status of their DVR app, but they said they still haven't received any word about any upgrade from PalmOne. They also mentioned this:

Thus, there is a possibility that current Treo600 users will never be able to utilize voice recording capability if this patch is only used for newer versions of the Treo600 series.. I certianly hope not and the folks at Audiost encouraged me to tell others to email and request PalmOne that they release the patch soon to ALL Treo600 users! Let only hope...
    Now if this is true, that will really suck for current treo owners.