Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Greetings, everyone.

Well, I've had my T600 for awhile now, and while it's generally been a very fine device, a glaring ommission has truly begun to affect how much I like this phone: a real Voice memo provision. You see it didn't bother me before because I was still using my Kyocera 7135 on my second line (Verizon). And while the 7135 was a buggy, tempermental S.O.B. It truly had it all- voice memo, a beautiful screen, clamshell profile, software to convert mp3s to ringtones and (yes!) lack of a built-in p.o.s. loaded with privacy issues camera. The only thing it didn't have was reliability. Now, as Verizon has shown me their behind for the last time, I'm switching this line to cingular and selling my 7135. Voice memo is a neccessity for me- I own my own business, I travel too much, and I'm through with post-its- so the 7135's voice memo was choice. So even when I got my t600 I still carried my 7135 as a back-up, and voice memo was there in a pinch. Now, I'm getting a smaller, non pda phone, probably a Sony ericsson T616 for this line and now I'll be depending entirely on the t600 for the heavy lifting chores. So, here's the question: After using the "search" feature and not finding anything enlightening about this (except for a way to rig voicemail to do it which is a rather jackleg solution for a $600 phone-not gonna fly), Has anyone come agross a program that could utilize one of the hard buttons to activate a voice recording feature? (i.e. what my 7135 did from the factory?) I have to say that I am getting more than a bit burnt that every thing that should come with $600 phone (you know-a cradle?, voice memo, ect.) is a $30 charge. I mean, If I have to buy too many other things for it that my 7135 came with standard it's gonna cost more than the $900 Gateway laptop I just got for my wife. Isn't that a bit excessive?

Anyway, thanks for the rant space, and any info will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

D
    "Think. It's Patriotic."
    Nothing to do voice memos yet. Maybe on the Treo 610.
  3.    #3  
    great. so that means I'll end up spending as much as my powerbook G4 12" by the time I'm done. sheesh

Cheers,

D
    "Think. It's Patriotic."
    You should be able to fix the voice memo thing with a software update. Don't know when it comes. If the GPRS update to the original Treos is any guide, it'll be a while.
    Take this for what it's worth. See PalmOne SoftwareConnection for details.

Coming in Spring 2004 - compatibility with Treo 600 series units

However, who knows if they will meet the spring 2004 deadline they advise...
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the info. I think this is my last palm one product. These s.o.b. engineers are jamming us up for more extra dough than the local shylock. If I wanted to drop $600 for an empty box I would have given it to my local congressman. Now I wish I still had my 7135.

D
    "Think. It's Patriotic."
    Try changing the light bulb.
    Greetings.
    I'm walking and decided to add my 2 cents.
    The voice-recorder feature works fine for 'me'. I mean It's at least 2 min. long and with my voice-activated feat., I can command a call vocally to access it(via my wireless Jabra bluetooth headset for non bt phones) and since I assist my music industry friends with hooks and choruses and even humming a potential hit, I have gotten a few handsome checks from them. Sometimes you have to improvise you know? Be grateful to be alive to even witness technology grow and the sun shine. Technology have spoiled us I must admit to the extnt that we demand everything in one device. If u are spending your hard earned money, you have every right to demand: however many cool folk and Treo lovers in this forum will tell you to hang in there and be patient. It's coming.
    Good luck to you and God bless.
    p.s.(can we still say "God Bless"?)
    Originally posted by treo600kings [/i]
    Greetings.
    I'm walking and decided to add my 2 cents.
    [i]
    The voice-recorder feature works fine for 'me'. I mean It's at least 2 min. long and with my voice-activated feat., I can command a call vocally to access it(via my wireless Jabra bluetooth headset for non bt phones)
    Ooop!!
    My faux pas..
    I meant to say my "voicemail" maneuver works fine for me. Pardon.
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by treo600kings
    Greetings.
    Be grateful to be alive to even witness technology grow and the sun shine. Technology have spoiled us I must admit to the extnt that we demand everything in one device. If u are spending your hard earned money, you have every right to demand...
    Good luck to you and God bless.
    p.s.(can we still say "God Bless"?)
    First, Cheers for the blessing . Second, if I'm waiting for technology to grow and I must be patient, Why was I able to get all of these missing features standard on my 7135 for $100 less over a year ago? No, the problem is these beancounting bums at palm one leave things out that should be standard so that they have a continuing influx of $$$ between model changes. It is absurd that I should pay $600 and have to spend another $30 for a cradle, and wait 6 months and be without a neccessary feature and then pay $30 for an aftermarket software app? (that may not function properly with the os?) It's basically a way for plam one to keep their margins higher on each piece. When I purchased my 7135 a year ago, paying only $350 less than I did for my wife's gateway laptop (I paid $500 for the 7135) it was a shock, but at least I had everything in the box (mp3 player, mp3 ringtone converter, cradle, 2 holsters, etc) Now I'm paying $600 for a phone. oh yeah I also got a cheap headset that crapped out in a week and stupid slip cover for the phone that doesn't even have a clip. I shouldn't have to pay another $80-$100 for all the things that should be in there from the factory. Hell, 3 years ago my $200 Timeport 270C came with a cradle, and that wasn't even a pda. But that's ok, because this is my last Palm one phone. Especially since they dropped mac sync support for OS6. And I'm not gonna pay $30 extra for that mark/sync. I shuldn't have to, and I won't.

Cheers, and blessings,

D
    "Think. It's Patriotic."
    Originally posted by E Double
    Thanks for the info. I think this is my last palm one product. These s.o.b. engineers are jamming us up for more extra dough than the local shylock. If I wanted to drop $600 for an empty box I would have given it to my local congressman. Now I wish I still had my 7135.

D
    With all due respect, you should check out the feature set of a $600 device before buying it.
    I paid $400 for mine and a friend of mine paid $250 (fr. Amazon w/ rebates) for our Treos. By the way, as a point of reference, I paid more than $1200 for my Carfone 12 years ago!

If you paid $600 without knowing what the device includes or does not include, don't blame the vendors!

I also have a PB17 Powerbook and I am not a bit disturbed about all this "rumor" that there will be no Mac support for the OS6. Why? Because the Treo 600 has an OS 5 and it will NOT be upgradable to OS6.

When I buy my next smartphone, which is likely less than a year from now considering all the upcoming other smartphones on the works (specially from Sony!), that's when I will worry about Mac Support, voice recorders, Wi-Fi, BT, Hi-res., and whatever

For now I love my Treo despite the absence of Voice Recorders and the phone mic that just crapped out on me after only a couple of month's use. Why again? BECAUSE I have no choice at this point in time and Palm has advised me that a replacement is on the way
    Ed
    I would also like to encourage any software entrepreneurs that think they can do a DVR on the Treo 600, to give it a shot (if there is an API/interface that makes it possible). I'd certainly like to have an integrated voice recorder as part of my Treo. Voicemail is ok for longer messages occasionally; but for capturing quick thoughts it's much more convienent to have a "one-button/quick note" record capability, and the software to manage it.

I'm very active/experienced around Silicon Valley and would be glad to provide input/support on the business side, for development of that product; it's a winner!
    steve bell

Sharp Zaurus>HP200LX>Cassiopeia E-10>Palm Pilot 1000/5000>iPaq 3600>HP 360/620LX>Palm III, IIIx>Diamond Mako>Palm V>Palm Vx>Psion 5Mx>iPaq 3630,3670>Samsung i300>Sony Clie NX70>Kyocera 7135>Sony PEG T50>Samsung i330>Treo300>Samsung i500>Sony NZ90>Sony SJ33>Rim 7230>Sprint Treo 600>Treo 600>iPaq H4355 PPC>iPod + Sprint Treo 600>Sony Clie NX-73, Th55>Sanyo 8200>Treo 650>Tungsten T5+BB 7290>iPhone 2G>iPhone 3G>AT&T BB Curve>AT&T BB Storm>BB Bold>Sprint Curve>Sprint/Palm Pre (6/6/09)
    See:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...bosnation0e-20

Cheaper than your hypothetical $30 software product, it fits in your shirt pocket, and you can even use it while in the middle of a phone call.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  15.    #15  
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    With all due respect, you should check out the feature set of a $600 device before buying it.
    It wouldn't surprise me at all if many new technology hungry early adoptors of this and other devices would gush if they paid $600 and then had to go to the factory and put it together themselves. Just because a company does something, i.e. packaging neccesary items key to the complete functionality of a product as an optional accessory, especially when the practice isn't industry-wide (Kyocera's rather complete packing list is an example of the opposite of Palm one's practice) does not make it right or defendable by silly remarks like "well, you should have checked out the feature set of $600 device before buying it". Why? If a $500 device comes with a "rich" feature set standard why the hell shouldn't a $600 device? You don't spend more money for a 7 series BMW to get less features than a 3 series do you? A 500 sl from a chevy malibu? If you don't expect less for more here why should you make weak excuses and except it with a $600 phone? Weak excuses should come from polititians, product developers and managers when doing something half-assed means an easier day at work. They should not come from fellow consumers who ultimately lose out by cut corners in the development of a product ("...and the phone mic that just crapped out on me after only a couple of month's use"). Unless, of course themselves or a friend or spouse works for the company in question. Then its no different then the spouse of an enron employee making excuses for ripping off thousands of consumers and shareholders.

D
    Last edited by E Double; 02/19/2004 at 02:12 PM.
    "Think. It's Patriotic."
  16.    #16  
    Originally posted by meyerweb
    See:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...bosnation0e-20

Cheaper than your hypothetical $30 software product, it fits in your shirt pocket, and you can even use it while in the middle of a phone call.
    Thanks for the link. Unfortunately the whole purpose of an "integrated device" is that you don't have to carry 2, 3 or more extra items. If I'm gonna do that I'll break out my Timeport 270 and my old Visor.

Cheers,

D
    "Think. It's Patriotic."
    You don't spend more money for a 7 series BMW to get less features than a 3 series do you? A 500 sl from a chevy malibu? If you don't expect less for more here why should you make weak excuses and except it with a $600 phone?
    Okay, calm down. We're all friends here. To answer your question, nowhere is it written that each incremental product, when ranked by price will have all features of cheaper products. To elaborate on your car example, why should have you have pay for a standard transmission in a $45K Corvette when it comes standard on the $10K Aveo? Life simply isn't like that. To take it to the extreme, my Treo makes terrible coffee compared to my $10 coffee pot.
    If a $500 device comes with a "rich" feature set standard why the hell shouldn't a $600 device?
    Because your god hates you. Give up.
  19.    #19  
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    Okay, calm down. We're all friends here. To answer your question, nowhere is it written that each incremental product, when ranked by price will have all features of cheaper products. To elaborate on your car example, why should have you have pay for a standard transmission in a $45K Corvette when it comes standard on the $10K Aveo? Life simply isn't like that. To take it to the extreme, my Treo makes terrible coffee compared to my $10 coffee pot.
    My 7135 made horrible coffee vs. my 1938 Sunbeam Vacuum pot as well but that's off the mark here. What my 7135 did do that t600 does not is come with a feature and standard accessory set that allowed for increased functionality and convenience.

The reason(s),[actually alot but we'd be here all day if I were to get into all of them]why you have to pay extra for a standard transmission on a corvette is marketing, and demographics. The fact of the matter is that alot of americans (who can afford to be) are lazy as drivers. Most people I know today can't drive a stick. this is different from 15 -20 years ago. Marketing wise, the average person who is buying a Corvette isn't trying to wring the most performance out of their car, they just want a Corvette. Manufacturers such as Porsche held out to almost 1990 before universally (across a majority of models)dropping tiptronic as an option into their cars. Why? because Porsche (as well as many other european sports car manufacturers) thought putting an automatic into a sports car was heretical, and debased the whole ideal of driver-car connection. (also it slowed the car down as automatics are less efficient vs. a manual) Before 1990 enough Americans understood this and accepted leaning how to shift a manual as the fee for entry. I have a 1967 Alfa-Romeo Boattail Spider (same car as in the Graduate) To even consider an automatic in this wonderful car is sacrilege. Think Yankees leaving the Bronx and you'll come close to understanding. By 1990 enough Americans were quick to say "why should it matter whether I can or cannot drive a stick? I want this car." Enough people demanding something or taking their money to chevy to buy an automatic Corvette (who were putting them in initially because they didn't have a manual transmission that could both handle the torque and fit in the chassis-also why the Trans-am GTA 20th anniversary only came with a auto) made the whole slew of performance automobile manufacturers run to make a "decent" automatic transmission available, often to the american market only-because if americans didn't care about a loss of performance why should they?

As for the 10K Aveo it comes down to performance and price as well as demographics and marketing. the little Aveo is probably working with less than 25% the power of a corvette with perhaps only a 25-35% reduction in vehicle weight vs the corvette so it's power/weight ratio takes it in the shorts. With a loss of efficency (due to heat and mechanical loss) of anywhere from 7-10% to upwards of 20-25% in power transmission of an automatic vs. a manual (not to mention an average fuel efficiency loss of anywhere from 10-15%) the Aveo gets beat up with a slushbox. Also an automatic is much more complicated than a manual, and weighs more (sometimes 30-50%more). Complication costs money (typically a $500 premium minimum). most buyers of 10K cars are looking for the most affordable, efficient vehicle available. Unless they are unable to drive a stick an efficiency/performance loss of of 10-15% at a 5-7% premium is unacceptibe.

Oops, so that took half a day. Now that we've cleared up issues about two different cars for different demographics, let's look at two different phones for the same demographic/market. looking at past reviews, company sites for each respective product and different forums (such as pdaphonehome.com) about the T600 and 7135, neither phone is shown as being anything but a pda/smartphone. The current (at least for the t600, but the 7135 was 6 months ago)standard bearers of technology convergence in one unit. We're not comparing the t600 to a $100 camera phone, we're comparing it to another "smartphone". Most folks don't accept moving from a 20k car to a 24K car (equal to the 20% difference in price from a 7135-a t600) that has less features-especially if the features aren't even available at the time of release- and only at an additional charge. Also, at least with the car example you can "look in the box" and see what it has/doesn't have. No can do with a phone that's not in stock in any physical store at the time of purchase.

Now of course, I know folks who will break their neck to buy the bottomest-of the barrel from a car manufacturer just to own the brand. I had a friend who had a 1984 BMW 318e (with an automatic) who paid $1000 for it 6 years ago and then proceeded to drop 2-3k in it every year until last year when they got a Honda Civic (which they paid for at least once in repairs on the BMW). Everytime it was in the shop i'd ask him "why don't you get rid of this car? it was an overpriced, featureless P.O.S. in 1984 and it is now." And he would always respond with this:"Yeah. But it's a BMW."

It also appears I know folks who will break their necks to get the "latest greatest" piece of equipment from a manufacturer, and when someone presents a legitimate problem with with the product or manufacturer these same people will trip over themselves making lame excuses trying to defend said product or manufacturer. Why? I don't know-perhaps to push aside the notion that perhaps the product that they hungered for doesn't quite meet their expectations, or perhaps so they don't feel like they were rooked, as I openly admit to feeling. But reading some of these tepid rushes to defend Palm one's honor, I'm surprised that someone hasn't come out and said "Yeah. But it's a Palm One."

On that note, I'm gonna go make some coffee. Just not with my T600, as it makes a weak cup of coffee, among other things.

Cheers,

D
    Last edited by E Double; 02/19/2004 at 05:47 PM.
    "Think. It's Patriotic."
  20.    #20  
    Originally posted by snerdy

Because your god hates you. Give up.
    Actually, God loves me. And because of that, I'll offer you a hand if I see you fall flat on your face. Which seems likely, because you're a schmuck.
    "Think. It's Patriotic."
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast