1.    #1  
    I have tried using Launcher X but that doesn't do it. I want to store the programs on the SD but still have the icon on Launcher -- and easy access, etc.

I should have been able to figure this out by now but haven't had the time. And although this is about my 10th Palm (and 4th smartphone), I have no freaking idea how to do this effectively.

Can someone enlighten me? I'm completely out of memory and can't bare to part with quick access to all my current programs.
    I deleted XLauncher for the Palm OS. Then I tried ZLauncher and kept it.

Here's why: ZLauncher can be configured to look and work almost exactly like the built-in Palm OS. The beautiful thing about ZLauncher is that the software allows you to creat shortcuts that point to applications stored on memory cards. The shortcuts can be categorized just like any other application in Ram. Shortcuts have the same icon as the application they point to but have an asterics next to the name.

When you run a shortcut, I believe its application is copied from memory card to RAM and run. At the end of the session it's moved back to the memory card. This all happens automagically. I am a very heavy third party application user and have around 60 megabytes of programs and data stored. All of my third party applications work with this shortcut method. It's seemless.... you will start to think of your memory card as being part of RAM.

ZLauncher takes some time to get used to. But it's well worth the effort.
    Originally posted by masonuc
    I have tried using Launcher X but that doesn't do it. I want to store the programs on the SD but still have the icon on Launcher -- and easy access, etc.

I should have been able to figure this out by now but haven't had the time. And although this is about my 10th Palm (and 4th smartphone), I have no freaking idea how to do this effectively.

Can someone enlighten me? I'm completely out of memory and can't bare to part with quick access to all my current programs.
    Try TealPoint Software's TealAlias. It lets you create shortcuts for apps that are stored in the SD. Another benefit is that if the apps use databases, you could set it up that it will load those dbs from the SD when your run the app.

Aloha
    Convergence is so Cool!
    Old: Palm IIIc - VIIx, Sony Clie NX60, Motorola Startac,Clie TH55, Treo 600
    New: Treo 650, wow!
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    I second the Zlauncher choice. It's as good as having 256mb of ram (or whatever size card you have). It takes a little getting used to, but once you have it you'll wonder how you ever lived without it. I have about 150mb worth of apps and databases on mine and I have the rest for pictures and extras.
    How do I tell ZLauncher to move associated files such as pdb's to the card, together with the .prc? I'm trying to do this with Warfare and Snappermail (yes, I know official SD card support is coming in v2) because these apps have huge pdb's.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the Teal Alias suggestion -- works great.
    Originally posted by Mol
    How do I tell ZLauncher to move associated files such as pdb's to the card, together with the .prc? I'm trying to do this with Warfare and Snappermail (yes, I know official SD card support is coming in v2) because these apps have huge pdb's.
    To answer my own question:

In the popup for moving to the card, the default (at least on my Treo) is the path /Palm/Launcher. When I select the path ../Zlauncher/Apps I suddenly get the option to include the database. Yippee!
    Originally posted by Mol

To answer my own question:

In the popup for moving to the card, the default (at least on my Treo) is the path /Palm/Launcher. When I select the path ../Zlauncher/Apps I suddenly get the option to include the database. Yippee!
    I've now moved more than half of my apps to the card. Some of the shortcuts have a * behind their name (such as Metro*, NesEm*, TripPilot*). Does anybody know what this means? Couldn't find it in the manual and I've checked the light bulb FAQ but nothing in there either.
    Originally posted by masonuc

LauncherX does it.
    1) On the Home screen, just drag the icon to the "SD" icon on the Gadget Tool bar (at the bottom)
    2) Select "Move to card."
    3) It will bring you to the "Directory Select" screen, which the "Launcher" folder in your SD should already be highlighted. Hit OK.
    4) Files will move and your icon will now have a tiny shortcut mark next to it, indicating it's a shortcut app running from your SD (which should answer your question, Mol)
    Originally posted by Mol

I've now moved more than half of my apps to the card. Some of the shortcuts have a * behind their name (such as Metro*, NesEm*, TripPilot*). Does anybody know what this means? Couldn't find it in the manual and I've checked the light bulb FAQ but nothing in there either.
    Mol, the * just means the app has been moved to the card and that this is a shortcut icon to launch the app...not the original app. It's a standard nomenclature also used by PowerRun etc.

P.S. FYI, I've found that neither Zlauncher, PowerRun etc cannot move all types of apps and DB's...namely read-only ones like BC and others...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions