1.    #1  
    Hi. This is my first post and I have tried doing a search to determine if there has been a thread on this, but couldn't find any. I bought a PNY 256mb SD card for my Treo 600 but it only shows it as 243.1 mb. I tried formatting it a few times and same result. Otherwise the card doesn't seem to be a problem and the guy at PNY said it is normal (but couldn't really explain why I have lost 13 mb without any data). Is it the card, the phone, or no problem? Thanks!
    Originally posted by treo600guy
    Hi. This is my first post and I have tried doing a search to determine if there has been a thread on this, but couldn't find any. I bought a PNY 256mb SD card for my Treo 600 but it only shows it as 243.1 mb. I tried formatting it a few times and same result. Otherwise the card doesn't seem to be a problem and the guy at PNY said it is normal (but couldn't really explain why I have lost 13 mb without any data). Is it the card, the phone, or no problem? Thanks!
    i think this is normal.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
  4.    #4  
    Thanks. Cash70, that string mentions what happened on a 128 mb card. Anyone have numbers on their 256mb card and how much disappeared right off the bat?

Off topic: I am also trying to figure out something on caller ID. Does it only work if the person/number calling is already in your contacts list? That seems to be the case on mine. Also, since I have some set up in my contact list with *82 ahead of the number or a 1+ ahead of the number, when those people call it does not recognize them and just lists their incoming number without the name being displayed. Thoughts?

(By the way, I also tried to search about this - and looked in the manual - but couldn't find anything)

Thanks!
    My SD 256MB shows 241.1.

As far as I know the caller ID works only with the names you have on your contacts list. Not sure about the *82 issue.

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    I was perplexed at first also. My hard drive is not really 160gb and my 256mb SD card is not really 256mb.

These numbers are for marketing purposes. Possibly to make explanation easier, they use multiples of 1000 instead of 1024. A true kilobyte is 1024 bytes and a true megabyte is 1024 kilobytes and a true gigabyte is 1024 megabytes, instead of the reported 1000*1000*1000

SO

If you have a 256mb sd card they are saying 1000 *1000 * 256 = 256,000,000 mb.

When it is actually 256,000,000 DIVIDED by 1024 then 1024 then another 1024 to get the real data size, which is 244.140625 bytes.
    Last edited by broberob; 05/06/2004 at 08:05 AM.
    I think a little disk space is lost to overhead as well, in terms of the disk having to manage itself (the formatting, the file system, etc.) - at least this was the case when looking at raw vs. formatted disks in a UNIX OS years ago... May not be applicable to simple devices like SD cards, who knows...
    Quote Originally Posted by treo600guy
    Off topic: I am also trying to figure out something on caller ID. Does it only work if the person/number calling is already in your contacts list? That seems to be the case on mine. Also, since I have some set up in my contact list with *82 ahead of the number or a 1+ ahead of the number, when those people call it does not recognize them and just lists their incoming number without the name being displayed. Thoughts?

(By the way, I also tried to search about this - and looked in the manual - but couldn't find anything)

Thanks!
    I have numbers in my address book as 1xxxXXXxxxx and have just tried (*82xxxXXXxxxx and *82 xxxXXXxxxx) and they all show the name when people call my phone?

Can you show the format in how your numbers are listed in your address book app.