1.    #1  
    I succesfully installed Filez to the SD card but it did not appear in the applications section.

Also, is it possible to install Avantgo to the SD card?

Thanks
    I assume you're using the standard launcher?

See at the top, the dropdown arrow with "All" next to it? Tap on that. All the way at the bottom of the list should be an entry with the volume name of your SD card. Tap on that. You should find your app there.

I don't know if it's possible to make the icon show up in another category or not, since I use Launcher X instead of the default launcher.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    The best way I have found to see and run applications on memory cards is using Zlauncher.

One reason you probably aren't able to see applications on your memory card using the built-in Palm OS is because the Palm OS is only capable of seeing one folder on the memory card called "Palm" when in fact there may be several other folders on the memory card!

When I first purchased the Treo I thought programs were disapearing and magically eating up card memory because I couldn't see them on the memory card. Zlauncher is an excellent way to solve this issue. It gives you a complete look at the memory card, allows you to run applications from multiple memory cards, and even has a mechanism for creating shortcuts that you can put in categories that point to applications on the memory cards. This way it almost feels like the memory card is part of ram. It's twelve dollars exceptionally well spent IMHO.

I have heard that PowerRun is a good application. But I have no direct personal experience with it. I used Xlauncher for a while and deleted it for Zlauncher. But it was pretty good. It was featured front page of TreoCentral once... a pretty strong endorsement.
    The only folder the default launcher sees is /Palm/Launcher. Stick 20 or 30 apps in that folder and see how long it takes for the app list to come up when you tap the Card name--the launcher doesn't cache the list, so it has to scan the folder every time.

This is one area where add-on launchers really earn their keep. They can be directed to look in multiple folders on a card, you can put icons for card-borne apps in any category, they keep a cache of apps on the card so they don't have to take the time to refresh the list every time (with some launchers you have the choice to do that or not), AND add-on launchers usually have a bunch of file-management and system tools and gadgets. You can also create shortcuts to card apps so you can HotSync them, and LauncherX (and I suspect ZLauncher and others) lets you "bundle" apps and databases on the card so you can put the whole mess on the card, and when you run the app the databases get copied to RAM--and if they're updated, the updated version gets written back to the card.
    "Yeah, he can talk. It's gettin' him to shut up that's the trick!"
    -Shrek
    To anyone using 3rd party launcher software: do these programs allow one to organize mp3's stored on the SD card by artist and by album title? What about for digital photos: can one create directories for subject title for photos?

Thanks.
    To both questions, the answer lies not in the launcher but in the MP3 player and picture viewing software itself. I don't have much experience with MP3 players, but many photo viewers allow you to use as many folders on a SD card as you want and you can give them whatever names you like, too.

(I use the freeware VFSi and payware Firepad Image Viewer. VFSi will open .jpg and .bmp images as well as .txt files, and the Firepad viewer will handle utterly huge images.)
    "Yeah, he can talk. It's gettin' him to shut up that's the trick!"
    -Shrek