1.    #1  
    1. Has anyone an idea how to launch the on-screen keyboard using keyboard hack 3.3 on a Treo 600 (and whether keyboard hack 3.3 is compatible with the Treo 600?)

The Palmgear site version history says 3.3 is compatible with OS5

I downloaded the demo version, but then the Keyboard applications logo on the Treo just reverts to the keyboard set up screen, and doesn't load the keyboard on to the screen.

2. When I try to delete the application, there is a section (keyboard layout) that refuses to be deleted. Had the same problem when I tried deleting Quickwrite. The MS keyb will not be deleted.

How can one force deletion? Is there a special tool?

rulepar
    why?
    You have got to be kidding.

I could see why someone might want graffiti - let's say you're in a darkened movie theater or in bed, then finding the little built-in keyboard keys can sometimes be a challenge.

But why on earth would anyone bother with hunting and pecking on the on-screen keyboard, when the unit comes with a built in hardware keyboard?
    I have run across a few applications that do not fully support the Treo 600 keyboard, and have had to pull up the screen keyboard to input special characters.

I have been using Keyboard Hack II for OS5 ver 1.3

I like this much better than the standard "virtual keyboard" that comes standard with the OS.

I agree that this is not need with most applications... but there are a few where this is handy.
    Bret Snyder<BR>If you don't know where you're going,<BR>You'll probably end up somewhere else.
    OK. I give up. How do you bring up the standard "virtual keyboard" on the Treo 600?
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  6.    #6  
    21 Feb 2004

1. The standard keyboard on the Treo is great - no question - but moving around on the screen with the stylus is certainly a valid alternative when the keyboard is linked into (by the hack) an application such as contacts, agenda etc. As is the third way, JOT, which is the equivalent of Graffiti. Any and all methods of input have their areas of use, at least in my experience.

2. Brett Snyder says he uses the earlier version of keyboard hack. Brett, how do you launch it? Can you do it directly from an application (the hack principle) or do you have to go through the application menu

3. On a much broader topic, as per my original post. How can one force deletion of a " file" in the application menu if the Treo says it can't do so? Two what seem to be virtual keyboard drivers refuse to be deleted. I don't know the Palm OS well, having been trained in programming in other OS and languages, but presumably there is a file management programme or some such tool which allows one to see what exists, and to delete?

rulepar
    re: Deleting files

Sometimes a soft reset will allow you to delete them.

If not, the only way I've discovered is to do a FULL backup (using something like BackupBuddy, not just a hotsync). Then delete those unwanted files from your backup folder. Then do a hard reset followed by a restore from the backup folder.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Originally posted by rulepar

2. Brett Snyder says he uses the earlier version of keyboard hack. Brett, how do you launch it? Can you do it directly from an application (the hack principle) or do you have to go through the application menu
    rulepar
    The program Keyboard Hack II is just set to ENABLE'd.

When I use it (within apps that support), I usually go to MENU/EDIT/KEYBOARD. When the "hack" is enabled the advanced keyboard is displayed on the screen.

I have a terminal emulation program (access to Unisys mainframes) that has a "keyboard" item in it's Edit menu. Without this I would not be able to enter an underscore character (the program does not fully support the Treo 600).
    Bret Snyder<BR>If you don't know where you're going,<BR>You'll probably end up somewhere else.