1.    #1  
    Was looking at mCamLock by MotionApps that turns the camera off for a user entered time.

http://www.motionapps.com/products.jsp?mcampe

What are y'alls thoughts on this? Will this be excepted? Will the gyms and event's understand this?
    Originally posted by Burkhardi
    Was looking at mCamLock by MotionApps that turns the camera off for a user entered time.

http://www.motionapps.com/products.jsp?mcampe

What are y'alls thoughts on this? Will this be excepted? Will the gyms and event's understand this?
    It seems like a great idea but there are many ways to get around mCamLock. It seems like all you would need to do is run a backup before you go to the gym. Then when you get to the gym show that you ran mCamLock. After you get in just do a hard reset and restore from the backup. I know a lot of people won't do this but I would think that gyms would not allow a camera even if you have an application like mCamLock.
  3.    #3  
    Yea, that's what I was thinking. Even the screen shot said that the only way to get it to work is either wait, or do a hard reset. I wish that there was another way. I wonder if their enterprise version is that way?
    Thanks for the input! Matt
    I asked them about the enterprise version. The response was that such an action would be against corporate policy. (Well, yeah.... so would taking the pictures...)

There was some vague muffled murmur about other consequences, but it seemed like a hard reset would erase the application just as nicely as any other app. (I'm not sure how they could avoid that unless they reflashed the ROM.)

In short, no where near a foolproof method.
  5.    #5  
    The response was that such an action would be against corporate policy.
    Can you expand on this, I am lost on what you are driving at.
    THX
    Originally posted by Burkhardi

Can you expand on this, I am lost on what you are driving at.
    THX
    It seemed like they were saying that, yes, a hard reset would break the lock. But, because a hard reset (to break the lock) would be against corporate IT policy (like installing a rogue OS might be), that dire consequences would flow from the reset.

It seemed like a silly argument to me. The whole point of needing a lock is to say that the camera can not be forced on. If we could just trust people not to hard reset the device, why can we not trust them not to take pictures also?
    Originally posted by jaytee
    It seemed like a silly argument to me.
    The whole camera arguement just seems silly to me. For all intents and purposes the camera on the Treo 600 pretty much sucks. I think companies should be more worried about people with cameras that could actually get good pictures. Such as this camera, http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/cameras/655e/

If I got a job that did not like the fact that I had a camera in my phone I think I would just try opening up the phone and taking the camera out. Problem solved.