1.    #1  
    Has anyone else had this experience?

Your Treo 600 begins to malfunction due to a manufacturing defect. You are approved for a replacement (with or without the secret diagnostic test). You are mailed a refurbished phone with only a 90-day warranty!!

Seems like adding insult to injury to me: having to put up with a defective phone, schlep into the Sprint store to see a tech, and then get a used phone and lose 6 months of your warranty??!

Should we be fighting for new replacement phones (I'm told new phones each have a 12-month warranty) or a full warranty?

(I might clarify the warranty on phones sold by Handspring is handled by Sprint if that is your carrier--which in my case it is)
    Hello TreTheo,

I have a Treo 600 on the ORANGE (UK). I think it states on Handspring's website that if a claim is made under warranty then a replacement unit will be covered for either for the duration of the original manufacturer's warranty period OR for 90 days whichever is the longest.

I had to send in a Treo 270 a few months ago for repair. It only had a few weeks left on the manufacturer's warranty. But the replacement came back with a 90 day warranty.

Regards,

M.
    MAKTIGER
    ...Have a look at this link on Handspring's website under WARRANTY for TREO 600

http://www.handspring.co.uk/support/...g_warranty.pdf

Its states:

"Warranty Period. The warranty period is one (1) year from your date of purchase. Handspring warrants
    any replaced or repaired product for a period of ninety (90) days from the date of shipment back to you, or
    through the end of the original warranty period, whichever is longer."

Hope this helps.

M.
    MAKTIGER
  4.    #4  
    Once again, leave it to Sprint CSRs to get it wrong. Also the printed insert with the unit did not mention "whichever is longer," which is what initially had me worried.

MakTiger is indeed correct (thank you). Here are the appropriate sections from the Handspring Warranty and here is the link.

I suggest you download a copy of the link for future reference if you've had to replace a phone under warranty.

As you can see, you may have to accept a reconditioned or repaired device.

Remedies.
    Handspring shall, at its discretion, either replace the product with a comparable product,
    repair the product, or refund the purchase price paid for the product. Replacement products may be new
    or reconditioned.

Warranty Period.
    The warranty period is one (1) year from your date of purchase. Handspring warrants
    any replaced or repaired product for a period of ninety (90) days from the date of shipment back to you, or
    through the end of the original warranty period, whichever is longer.
    Let the buyer BEWARE!

Sprint finds a way to interpret warranties, any way they choose.

Here's my story:

I bought the Samsung I500, released July 2003. 10 weeks later,as soon as the Treo600 was released, I sold my I500 and bought the Treo600. I had only used the Samsung for 10 weeks without any sign of trouble, but the poor guy I sold the phone too wasn't so lucky.

2 days after my friend got the Samsung from me the digitizer went out. Sprint refused to replace the phone under warranty because the buyer was not the original purchaser, even though the Samsung warranty clearly stated that the phone was warranteed for a year from purchase. Since the phone had only been on the market for 3 months it was proof positive that my friend hadn't had the phone longer than a year, whats more, for further proof Sprint was able to access my account to ascertain the purchase date (bought straight from Sprint online).

We contacted Samsung and they insisted that Sprint was the sole administrator of their warranty and that replacement phones had to come from Sprint. Still Sprint held fast to their groundless rule.

Eventually, (6 weeks later after numerous calls with conflicting viewpoints) the phone was replaced.

Moral of the story....Sprint may eventually honor the "or whichever is longer" caveat, but my money is on a long battle for anybody trying to get more than 90 days on a replacement phone.

K