1.    #1  
    I would like to have web access in the following way:
    1. Connect a Mac OS X PowerBook to a Treo 600 via USB.
    2. Treo 600 connects to the SprintVision data service.
    3. Mac PowerBook can surf using the Treo as a sort of router.

I know there is software to permit using the Treo as a wireless modem. Don't want that.

I've seen this done with other phones, just haven't figured it out with the Treo.

Has anyone done it?
    Forgive my ignorance...

How is using TreoModem any different than what you want to do? You're looking for an IP stream to your computer via the Treo600... That's exactly what TreoModem does.

Maybe I'm not fully understanding.

-SD
  3.    #3  
    As I understand it, TreoModem (as well as WirelessModem), allow you to use a USB cable to connect a Mac OS X machine to a Treo600, and literally dial up your ISP for an internet connection.

Doing this eats up voice minutes, as well as gets you a slow connection. It may also be a violation of the SprintPCS contract.

Whereas the Treo (and other SprintPCS smartphones) can use SprintVision to get relatively high speed internet access, not eating up voice minutes, at no additional cost (I have an unlimited data minutes account).

I want to be able to access the SprintVision data stream for Internet access on my Mac, by way of a connection to the Treo.
    Originally posted by marcmintz
    As I understand it, TreoModem (as well as WirelessModem), allow you to use a USB cable to connect a Mac OS X machine to a Treo600, and literally dial up your ISP for an internet connection.

Doing this eats up voice minutes, as well as gets you a slow connection. It may also be a violation of the SprintPCS contract.

Whereas the Treo (and other SprintPCS smartphones) can use SprintVision to get relatively high speed internet access, not eating up voice minutes, at no additional cost (I have an unlimited data minutes account).

I want to be able to access the SprintVision data stream for Internet access on my Mac, by way of a connection to the Treo.
    Actually, on the Sprint network TreoModem uses your Vision services and requires no additional ISP. Your computer dials the number *777 to get access. This is only true on Sprint as far as I know. Detailed instructions are included with the app.

The GSM phones do require a dial-in ISP as far as I know. Beware though... Using TreoModem really pisses off Sprint because you eat their bandwidth. They can call it a breach of contract, and charge you an arm and a leg.

-SD