1.    #1  
    I know 1xRTT is faster, but how much faster in normal day-to-day? How noticable a difference is it?

Who has used both and can give me an example in everyday, not technospeak, differences?

Ideally, I like a side by side comparison ala the netzero adds.
    Originally posted by sir_mycroft
    I know 1xRTT is faster, but how much faster in normal day-to-day? How noticable a difference is it?

Who has used both and can give me an example in everyday, not technospeak, differences?

Ideally, I like a side by side comparison ala the netzero adds.
    I have used both extensively. In terms of latency, gprs is about 2x-2.5x worse than 1xRTT. 1x is on the order of 300-350 ms and gprs is on the other of 600-950ms. If you do any interactive work, then gprs is horrible. In terms of bandwidth, 1x has better bandwidth, though EDGE cuts that advantage. Still huge latency though.

Using 1xRTT card (Sierra wireless 555) side by side with an EDGE card (SE GC82, edge is basically a superGPRS), the bandwidth is equivalent maybe with a slightly better performance for the EDGE card in good signal areas, but latency is much better with 1xRTT. For example, I use mulberry as an imap client to download my email from a remote imap server. I have a large amount of mailboxes (approx 40 or so), and even though the EDGE card in my house has slightly more bandwidth than the 1xRTT, the mulberry client finishes checking every mailbox and downloading my mail faster than when I'm using the GC82 EDGE card. This is because of the huge number of mailboxes it has to individually open and check and the latency starts to slow things down. If I was doing a huge single mailbox, no doubt EDGE would be slightly faster.

Also, EDGE speeds fall off _very_ quickly as signal degrades. There is a 10KiloByte/s or so speed differential between my living room and my basement. While with 1xRTT, it slows down but not by as much. This is consisently repeatable in other locations (I was testing this out in miami a few days ago as a matter of fact)

/v