1.    #1  
    All,

I month or two back I read an atricle on this site that stated that RIM was devloping a software piece that would turn the Treo 600 into a Blackberry device. Anyone here anything more about this. Thanks in advance.
  2.    #2  
    bump!
    The article was in December, and it stated "The goal of this development effort is to create a BlackBerry connectivity solution for Palm OS licensees in the second half of 2004" so I wouldn't expect to hear much about right away...
    This is prelimary information however, it looks like it will be released in the second half of 2004. It will be a RIM product not a PalmSource or PalmOne. I am unsure of the channel it will be distributed through. Also it is unclear if an upgrade will be needed to the BES server. But I would bet yes it will need to be upgraded. Also it will only include "push email" in the first release. New API's have to be written for Caledar and Contacts.
    This new software client will also use the BlackBerry portocal so data prices should be more reasonable at least for email.

This information comes direct from PalmSource and RIM via phone interview
    Originally posted by mclaughlinc
    This new software client will also use the BlackBerry portocal so data prices should be more reasonable at least for email.
    Data prices? That doesn't sound right... I hope it's actually just a flat monthly fee b/c many Sprint/Tmo users already have unlimited data plans...

Anyway, I agree...I don't expect a PalmOS BB client until some time this summer at the earliest. The question to ask however is will it be a "Garnet" or "Cobalt" based client?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  6.    #6  
    Well - whatever the case maybe, I would like this feature sooner than later. The Blueberries just don't cut it for me.
    To each his own. The Treo is fine for games, but if you need corporate e-mail, nothing beats a BlackBerry.