Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789
    Originally posted by mgauss
    Check out this Nokia with BT, WIFI, keyboard, VGA camera!

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/340/C2511/

Just a taste of what technology delivers.

But no, we have to live with:

160 x 160
    no voice
    no bt
    no wifi

I feel like I'm told "Hey its Iraq, love it or leave it." Saddam
    We have to live with?

My use of the Treo is a matter of choice, not something I was forced in to doing. Did someone bust you over the head with that monsterous Nokia and command that you use a Treo?.....I didnt think so.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Originally posted by Scott R
    Well, it's been a long time since I've frequented the forums over here. I've been using my Sprint Sony-Ericsson T608 combined with either my HP iPaq h4155 or Tapwave Zodiac 1 for a while now. I'm not entirely happy with the two-piece solution, but I'm not particularly envious of the Treo 600 either (due to reasons I've discussed ad nauseum over here in the past). In any case, if this rumored T610 does have a 320x320 screen, it could definitely win me over (I'll still hate the too-small thumbboard, but I'm hoping I can make up for that with a foldable QWERTY keyboard).

But that's not why I'm here.

I didn't read through all of the pages here, so sorry if I'm stating something that's already been said. But just in case, I thought I'd chime in with another bit of info that I've been told would be included in this new Treo. My understanding is that the current Treo 600's SDIO slot is incapable of handling the much-delayed SanDisk SDIO Wi-Fi card and that is the main reason for the delay of that card. As such, this new Treo is supposed to have a "corrected" SDIO slot which will allow you to use said card.

This would make sense to me. It makes sense of why the SanDisk card is being delayed so much. It makes sense why the Treo 600 would be updated so soon and with such a small change in the model number. Remember, palmOne is targeting the enterprise with this phone. That market (apparently) wants Wi-Fi.

Beyond that, I have heard nothing about other new features (screen res, Bluetooth, etc.). Enjoy.

Scott
    Scott, an updated SDIO slot makes sense to me as well in a hypothetical Treo610, but the skeptic in me prevents me from putting too much hope into all this. Heck, you still can't get the Sandisk card for PalmOS pda's that are compatible with it sitll! Or am I mistaken and can you get them to work on the Zod? Anyway, the whole situation is a mess. It seems like the ony way to get a wifi in a palmOS pda today to get one with it integrated (unless you have a NX that is)...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by hoxbox

BT WIFI AND GSM on a Treo built in??? keep dreaming.... Perhaps not for another 3 years. I mean, there isn't even a regular Palm out that has both BT and WIFI built in.

Pocket PC phones, however, will have WIFI, BT, GSM out this year...
    "built in"? Never mentioned ace. Try capability. Thus, leaving the option to the user and encouraging comp. in the developmental community. 3 years? what a joke!

You gotta love those ppc bricks.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 02/24/2004 at 11:14 PM.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    CNN and Nokia (no more Treo PRPRPR)

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/ptech/0....ap/index.html

I guess when you have no bt, no wifi, no hi res no voice you kind of have no prprpr
    Originally posted by mgauss
    CNN and Nokia (no more Treo PRPRPR)

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/ptech/0....ap/index.html

I guess when you have no bt, no wifi, no hi res no voice you kind of have no prprpr
    What the hell is somebody suppose to do with that monster? Big deal on the 3g over there which sprint cdma is already.

Bricks!
    Last edited by JTREOB; 02/25/2004 at 07:44 PM.
    This thread cracks me up.

Those of us that came over from the Sidekick ranks will remember last spring when rumors, speculation, etc. flooded the HipTop (side kick) board over the color screen side kick release date and what it would and would not have.

And after that it started all over again about the next OTA OS upgrade.
    gfunk, I suspect that the reason why the SDIO Wi-Fi card was never released is because palmOne was closely involved in the driver development. I wouldn't be surprised to see it get released with drivers that are only compatible with palmOne devices. When palmOne bought Handspring and touted the Treo 600 as the end-all be-all, they obviously wanted to make sure the Wi-Fi card would work with it, which it apparently does not. Again, much of this is speculation.

Regarding that new Nokia. What a let down. I was anxiously awaiting the next-gen Communicator, but I was hoping they'd redesign it so that it was a bit smaller. I'm less concerned about the size of the phone in your pocket. I'm more concerned that the "thumbboard" looks too big/wide to be used as a thumbboard. Instead, it looks like (as with the old model), you'll have to set it down and peck away at the keys. I would have much preferred something closer in size to the hiptop. Of course, since we're on this subject, I guess I have to go ahead and provide the link to that mockup I created a while back for my vision of the perfect convergence device. Here ya go:
    http://hipnetic.com/geek/treo_new2.gif

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Originally posted by JTREOB

"built in"? Never mentioned ace. Try capability. Thus, leaving the option to the user and encouraging comp. in the developmental community. 3 years? what a joke!

You gotta love those ppc bricks.
    Ok Ok... I'll pour some $2.50 gasoline on this fire:

Ipaq 6000 GSM/BT/WIFI all BUILT IN, 3.5in screen.
    - Dimensions 11,7 x 7,4 x 1,8 cm
    - Weight 185 grams
    (add snapon keyboard you're probably +1cm on length & + 15g weight on the
    http://www.pocketpcitalia.com/preview_hp_ipaq_6000.asp

Treo 600 GSM No BT, No WIFI, 160x160 screen
    11.2 x 6.0 x 2.2 cm 168 grams

So the ipaq 6000 is 14.4% more in volume and 19% more in weight. BUT this is not factoring the change in weight of the Treo610 (assuming it has BT and none crappy screen) + an SDIO Wifi card (bye bye SD memory slot, + more weight).

So yeah so if 14-19% change makes it a brick then fine. Just stating the facts.

Edit:
    http://www.pocketpcitalia.com/3gsm_2004_2.asp
    99.7x61.2x24mm (3.9"x2.4"x.94") and the weight 174 grams (6.1oz)
    BT/GSM/WIFI/horizontal keyboard all builtin..... Coming this summer.
    Sorry size isn't an argument anymore....
    Last edited by hoxbox; 02/25/2004 at 05:58 PM.
    ... comparison is and always will be useless. Yet it never fails to be disussed with such obtuse passion.
    Originally posted by sir_mycroft
    ... comparison is and always will be useless. Yet it never fails to be disussed with such obtuse passion.
    TreoCentral.com >> Discussion >> Treo Models >> Treo 600 Hardware

Yeah Yeah I know wrong place to post anything Microsoft / might as well post be posting this stuff on kernel.org yadda yadda yadda......
  11. lam
    Hello guys , WHAT IS TODAY's DATE ????? how many more weeks or days !!!!! Can I laugh out loud when that day finally arrive ? Oh Oh Oh , i can't wait anymore ! he he he he. SOOOOO ANXIOUS !
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789