Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Originally posted by scandalex

Yes, they do. It's called VISION, and depending on your plan, you can get it unlimited....I should know because I have it.
    VISION is all you can eat but it is not "unlimited."
    Anyone remember the Osborne Computer fiasco? (showing my age...)
    That is why you won't see a 610
    Originally posted by larryk
    The strategy is called eating your seed corn. Palm has been using it for a while now.
    Originally posted by whmurray

VISION is all you can eat but it is not "unlimited."
    How can something be AYCE, but not unlimited? I have Vision on my plan (listed as "unlimited" on my bill) and I use Shoutcast and browse the web while I waiting for meetings, etc. Never had it shut off or anything. If your inference is due to the fact that you aren't "supposed" to use your 600 as a modem for your laptop ... yet people still do it.

However, if this is your stance ... then I will concede you point.

Perhaps this will become the new oxymoron ... Unlimited All You Can Eat!
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    Originally posted by tjd414

How can something be AYCE, but not unlimited?
    Are you patronizing me? Yes, I think that you are patronizing me.

It is quite simple; there is a limit to how much you can eat. Anyone who has ever attended a smorgasbord can tell you that.

What is more, there may be a limit to how much is on the table and how rapidly the supply is replenished when the table is empty.

Remember that this thread began with an assertion that Sprint would not offer or support BT because they offered an "unlimited" data plan, VISION. The implied fear is that VISION would no longer be economically viable if Sprint offered/allowed BT. One implication of that is that price is the only way that Sprint can control the load that users put on its network. While it may not be intuitive, neither is it so. Any experienced user of the Internet will tell you that data rate is often below bandwidth and rarely equal to it. Any experienced user of a LAN or a cell will tell you that effective data rate is a function of, among other things, load and quality of service. Any experienced user will tell you that ISPs can control the load that a user can put on the network. Their terms of service may say that you cannot operate a server at the basic rate; if you wish to, you must pay the premium rate. If you try, they will throttle you; they do have a throttle.

T-Mobile also offers an "unlimited" data plan. However, it is not as fast as VISION. All "unlimited" plans are "unlimited." However, as Orwell suggested, some unlimited plans are more unlimited than others.
    Last edited by whmurray; 02/23/2004 at 10:55 AM.
    Putting George Orwell's doublespeak aside, Sprint's Vision plan provides UNLIMITED data usage. I know - because I have it too. In simplest terms, there is absolutely no point in which I can receive data that is not covered in the plan for which I will be charged more. The word UNLIMITED refers to the minutes/bytes I can use until I get billed for overusage. The amount of data that can be received over a time period or speed in which it can be received is irrelevant. Because if my Treo was upgraded and could receive more data than it does today over the same time interval, it would all still be covered under the plan - because it is UNLIMITED data usage.

And while we are on the subject of explanations, can someone PLEASE explain to me again why Bluetooth would be so critical on a Treo? And please don't tell me it's so you can use a headset without a wire or that you can sync it to your PC without using a cable. Because critical is not a word I would use to describe those features.
    Originally posted by whmurray
    T-Mobile also offers an "unlimited" data plan. However, it is not as fast as VISION. All "unlimited" plans are "unlimited." However, as Orwell suggested, some unlimited plans are more unlimited than others.
    Good move in removing your last "3rd grade" line before I quoted it.

Anyway, Your post leaves me with the impression that either you're a little confused or you don't convey your thoughts very clear. There is no such thing as "more" unlimited, or "less" unlimited for that matter. Maybe you meant more limited.

A plan like SPCS may be faster than others, but it doesn't make it more unlimited. You simply get what you're downloading faster.
    Originally posted by cferd

Good move in removing your last "3rd grade" line before I quoted it.

Anyway, Your post leaves me with the impression that either you're a little confused or you don't convey your thoughts very clear. There is no such thing as "more" unlimited, or "less" unlimited for that matter. Maybe you meant more limited.

A plan like SPCS may be faster than others, but it doesn't make it more unlimited. You simply get what you're downloading faster.
    I give up; you win.
    Originally posted by Bob-C
    Putting George Orwell's doublespeak aside, Sprint's Vision plan provides UNLIMITED data usage. I know - because I have it too.

The point is that the economics of the Vision plan is not a function of your use, and therefore, independent of whether or not your phone or Sprint support BT.
    that would depend on the how much inventory they had in the channel.

they supposedly shipped 100,000 phones, how many of those are still in somone's warehouse.

If few (you can define few), then it doesn't matter if the 610 comes out.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Well, it's been a long time since I've frequented the forums over here. I've been using my Sprint Sony-Ericsson T608 combined with either my HP iPaq h4155 or Tapwave Zodiac 1 for a while now. I'm not entirely happy with the two-piece solution, but I'm not particularly envious of the Treo 600 either (due to reasons I've discussed ad nauseum over here in the past). In any case, if this rumored T610 does have a 320x320 screen, it could definitely win me over (I'll still hate the too-small thumbboard, but I'm hoping I can make up for that with a foldable QWERTY keyboard).

But that's not why I'm here.

I didn't read through all of the pages here, so sorry if I'm stating something that's already been said. But just in case, I thought I'd chime in with another bit of info that I've been told would be included in this new Treo. My understanding is that the current Treo 600's SDIO slot is incapable of handling the much-delayed SanDisk SDIO Wi-Fi card and that is the main reason for the delay of that card. As such, this new Treo is supposed to have a "corrected" SDIO slot which will allow you to use said card.

This would make sense to me. It makes sense of why the SanDisk card is being delayed so much. It makes sense why the Treo 600 would be updated so soon and with such a small change in the model number. Remember, palmOne is targeting the enterprise with this phone. That market (apparently) wants Wi-Fi.

Beyond that, I have heard nothing about other new features (screen res, Bluetooth, etc.). Enjoy.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.

As far as upgrades, planned obsolesance is a practice of the past. No company has that luxary any longer.

As for palmone,I do not think they will make minor changes and release a next model. It would do little to stimulate sales or entice new business for the 600.

Whenever the next 600 ,or smartphone by another name, upgrade occurs, I think you'll see OS6, High Rez screens, ability for BT, WI FI, voice recording, and canned media apps of video and audio. A combination of chip and battery technology will increase the speed and life of the unit. Internal memory will double or triple. The waiting game for units will end with better planning, and the quality will be significantly better.

The fact is, you don't pay 160 mill and turn around and pay for it with sales of 100000 units. The device that ultimately comes forth from palmone will need to be monumental, and the technology is available to make it so. Business will be it's focus. This device is not and will not be aimed at cell phone joe.

One year from now, the 600 will be a relic or palmone will be, and they know it.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 02/23/2004 at 10:59 PM.
    this is the way I see it

1. HS, when they brought the T600 out, said and showed that there was a BT compartment built in

2. They also mentioned how they wanted to give it better res, but couldn't, because of battery power

3. They then said it would be possible that they would release a BT version later

4. They wouldn't have to approve this model with the Govenment, as it would still basically be a T600 ---- so looking for govt articles online would be a waste of time

in that way, personally, I expect an upgrade, with BT and higher res, to be out sometime soon
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
    Just got email notification that my unlocked 600 has been shipped (past tense). I had tried to cancel (so many options better than the $700 I paid...) and figured I'd wait for further word on 610.

From Palm "it's all rumor"
    From T-mobile "we're not carrying (in stores) the 600, we're waiting for the next generation" -- no word on when that will be.

If all else fails, it has a 30 day return offer. Make that announcement quick folks!!
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things...
    - Antoine de Saint-Exupery
    Originally posted by JTREOB

Whenever the next 600 ,or smartphone by another name, upgrade occurs, I think you'll see OS6, High Rez screens, ability for BT, WI FI, voice recording, and canned media apps of video and audio. A combination of chip and battery technology will increase the speed and life of the unit. Internal memory will double or triple. The waiting game for units will end with better planning, and the quality will be significantly better.

BT WIFI AND GSM on a Treo built in??? keep dreaming.... Perhaps not for another 3 years. I mean, there isn't even a regular Palm out that has both BT and WIFI built in.

Pocket PC phones, however, will have WIFI, BT, GSM out this year...
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Check out this Nokia with BT, WIFI, keyboard, VGA camera!

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/340/C2511/

Just a taste of what technology delivers.

But no, we have to live with:

160 x 160
    no voice
    no bt
    no wifi

I feel like I'm told "Hey its Iraq, love it or leave it." Saddam
    Originally posted by mgauss

Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Tri-band, not quad; Europe or the Orient, take it or leave it.

Symbian OS; their apps, take 'em or leave em.

Two-hand operation, take it or leave it.

Battery life? take it or leave it.

US$1000-, take it or leave it.

Design is a hard problem. At equal price, it might be a toss up. At 2 to 2.5 ttimes the price of a Treo, I take the Treo. Of course being able to deal w/ Nokia rather than HS/P1 would be a big plus.

160 x 160
    no voice
    no bt
    no wifi

Man, you are so right. The phone Co's are sooo much like Saddam.....

.....incredible
  19.    #159  

160 x 160
    no voice
    no bt
    no wifi

Who told you you have to live with this? Who's stopping you from ordering the Nokia and using it? GSM phones work world-wide, you don't need a carrier's blessing to use it.
    That new Communicator is just a repackaged version of that same ol' dog they've been trotting out for years now, with no results. yes, it's had a bath, and yes, it's been to the groomer, but - get one of those suckers in your hands, and you'll want to start doing curls with it. It's an f-ing monster.
    yes, it has (or is supposed to have) wi-fi and BT, and GSM, but more than all that, it's TDB - TOO DAMN BIG.

CompUSA might still have some of the previous models still hanging around, and since the new one is still the same overall dimensions, check one out and you'll see.

Don't be taken in by specs and acronyms - try one in your hand and then decide. maybe you'll like it - but hold one first before you tout its greatness.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast