Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Originally posted by shleimun
    I just don't think there will be any T610 in March. It's just too soon, especially if T-Mobile are starting to sell T600 in March. It just doesn't make sense.
    T-Mobile has not said that they are going to do this. You only have HS/P1's word for this. They have been incredibly unreliable when speaking on this issue.
    Cmon, a big company like HS/P1 says they are taking orders for T-Mobile T600 and they starts shipping in early March and you are saying we should'nt believe them?

Who are you kidding here?
    MS (mike@mixstar.com
    Treo 300 (Very Soon T600)
    Cmon, a big company like HS/P1 says they are taking orders for T-Mobile T600 and they starts shipping in early March and you are saying we should'nt believe them?

Who are you kidding here?
    I am not trying to kid anyone. HS/P1 has been saying that they were going ship T-Mobile 600s in two to three weeks. They have been saying it since September. They have not done so. Do not take my word for it. The shabby record is right here on TreoCentral. Look it up for yourself.
    As far as the English language goes, a corporation is considered a single entity for legal and tax purposes. It protects the individuals owning the corporation from having their personal wealth affected by a corporation going into bankruptcy. So for legal purposes a corporation name is more or less considered a single virtual person. So proper English would dictate something along the lines of, "Handspring is going to...". Why any bloody ****** would use a plural reference is beyond me.
    In the U.K. and the Commonwealth, groups are considered plural. So while your comment is perfectly correct for American English, a person who learned British English would indeed correctly say "Handspring are," "the staff are," "the band are," etc. (Thus the T-shirts that '80s band Frankie Goes to Hollywood popularized, saying "Frankie Say Relax," seemed like silly wordplay in the U.S. but made sense in the U.K.)

And to go on-topic, I think mschuver has a good point there. There's no reason the Treo 610 needs to be a replacement. As I recall, Handspring/palmOne said a high-res screen and the other improvements promised in the 610 would have made the 600 prohibitively expensive. But now that the market for the 600's features and form factor is established, there's no reason not to have a high-end model for those who'd pay dearly for what the 600 lacks.

Also, if there will be a BT, I don't think sprint will have it. since they have unlimited internet.
    I am not sure what you are suggesting here. Are you suggesting that only Sprint offers unlimited Internet? Are you suggesting that a BT enabled phone would put so much net new load on a carrier that the carrier would not offer such a phone or service?
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    The T610 is a "Show Award" nominee in at least two categories at the 3GSM World Congress in the coming week:

-- http://www.gsmworld.com/awards/nominees.html

Surely, this is the Sony Ericsson T610, or am I missing the joke?
    Also, if there will be a BT, I don't think sprint will have it. since they have unlimited internet.
    I assume that Treo BT implementation would support at least the applications that are supported over the Treo (hotsynch) cable. Via third party software, that includes using the Treo to connect personal computers to the Internet.

However, it would be possible to offer a viable BT product that would replace the headset cable while not supporting the hotsynch cable. It would be possible to offer one that would replace IRDA while not replacing either wire. It might be one that supports synchronization and object exchange but not connection.

A BT feature for the Treo need not threaten the carriers, metered or flat-rate.
    Sprint does not offer "unlimited" Internet but flat-rate Internet. There are limits; they are, among other things, a function of bandwidth and load, though not of charges. Though your post seems to suggest otherwise, Sprint is not the only carrier that offers flat-rate Internet.

That said, it is not clear to me that a new option for using the Treo to connect (my PC) to the Internet will increase use or load of the carrier. Most of my use of the Internet from the Treo originates on the Treo. I cannot imagine that any BT function will increase that. While I prefer wire and Wifi for connecting my PC to the Internet, I occasionally use both my hotsynch cable and IRDA to connect me to the Internet via the Treo and the GSM/GPRS network. If I had a BT option, I might use it but only at the expense of cable and IRDA. The existence of a BT option would not increase my total use at all.
    Last edited by whmurray; 02/22/2004 at 02:07 PM.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Let's face it.

Palm One emasculated its engineering and design team when they paid 200 MILLION DOLLARS to Donna.

I mean if I had designed the T3 Palm (and got paid 50k a year) and then saw Donna walk out the door running to the bank with her 200 MILLION DOLLARS I'd quit.

So the management inside Palm One is so imbecile that they 1) paid 200 MILLION DOLLARS for a 160x160 design and 2) did not reverse engineer all the non patentable stuff inside the Treo.

And now, that imbecile management team won't get didley from its emasculated engineering team. Don't expect any work from Donna she is spending her $ 200 MILLION DOLLARS sipping Bordeaux in the South of France, with rests at Gucci, Prada and Dior.

Yep we're gonna stay with out 160x160 stone age design until Sony realizes that if they put a keyboard and OS on the P900 we'd all make it a winner and give them market lead for the next 10 years.

Sony can you hear me? Sony can you hear me?
    Last edited by mgauss; 02/22/2004 at 10:10 PM.
    Here's another think to think about:

Treo 600 is so popular, HS/P1 website have been saying "Due to high demand, expect shipping delays for some providers". AT&T store/website is always out of stock, Best Buy is usually out of stock or might have one (sometimes), Sprint store might have one or none.

So, if a product is so popular and selling so well, why would they come up with a new one in March?

It has only been about 4 months since Treo 600 came out. It's too early.

It just doesn't make sense.
    MS (mike@mixstar.com
    Treo 300 (Very Soon T600)
    the shipping / back order issue according to palmone is a result ,in part, of some merger difficulties. to date they've sold approx. 100000 treoe 600's. not a huge amount in the smartphone area. when you consider nokias 5.4 mill. smartphone sales world wide for 2003.

whenever the upgrade comes about, rest assured that palmones statements suggest that they are hell bent on going after the smartphone market. that alone suggests some serious upgrades/changes in the future near and far.

take a look at todays ny times www.nytimes.com
    Last edited by JTREOB; 02/23/2004 at 12:06 AM.
    Ok, here's some fuel to get the fire burning a little brighter...

1. palmOne is pushing the Treo 610 off until fall. Sorry folks.
    2. Verizon will start carrying the Treo 600 in Q2 2004. Good news for many people (and I wish I hadn't had to go Sprint.)

This "news" isn't part of my fantasy life, no, it's from good authority.
    Ain't This Fun?
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    Originally posted by JTREOB

take a look at todays ny times www.nytimes.com
    The full link is http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/23/te...gy/23palm.html (you'll need to be registered).

Some highlights:

And as far back as 2000, Palm had significant production difficulties, including problems at the company's plant in Hungary. Mr. Nagel, who was running Palm's software business, said that the company could not meet demand for its newest product, the Palm V, and sales dried up.

With the merger, PalmOne has gained some of the industry's most notable engineers and executives - Mr. Hawkins, for example, is now chief technology officer of PalmOne. Equally important, the company inherited Handspring's relationships with mobile providers like Sprint PCS, Cingular Wireless and AT&T Wireless, which support Treo phones. PalmOne has shipped more than 100,000 Treo 600's since its release at the end of 2003.

PalmOne executives say Treo's success is critical. But it has had problems meeting demand, which the company said have been caused, in part, by the complexity of the merger.

Copyright 2004 The New York Times Company
    Originally posted by mgauss
    Let's face it.

Palm One emasculated its engineering and design team when they paid 200 MILLION DOLLARS to Donna.

I mean if I had designed the T3 Palm (and got paid 50k a year) and then saw Donna walk out the door running to the bank with her 200 MILLION DOLLARS I'd quit.

So the management inside Palm One is so imbecile that they 1) paid 200 MILLION DOLLARS for a 160x160 design and 2) did not reverse engineer all the non patentable stuff inside the Treo.

And now, that imbecile management team won't get didley from its emasculated engineering team. Don't expect any work from Donna she is spending her $ 200 MILLION DOLLARS sipping Bordeaux in the South of France, with rests at Gucci, Prada and Dior.

Yep we're gonna stay with out 160x160 stone age design until Sony realizes that if they put a keyboard and OS on the P900 we'd all make it a winner and give them market lead for the next 10 years.

I don't know about you, but I'm rooting for the small AMERICAN team of PalmOne to rise like a phoenix and resume its place as leader in the smartphone industry. I fail to understand why some people are so resentful of a company that makes what is clearly the industry's most desirable smartphone. Give them some time to get these things out in numbers, be patient waiting for the next upgrade, and be glad that your $$ is staying in a domestically-owned company.
    Originally posted by Stig

Surely, this is the Sony Ericsson T610, or am I missing the joke?
    I read this article a few days ago, so instictively I knew it would be the same one before clicking on the link.

You didnt miss anything. People will use anything that has the number 610 to prove their points. And heaven forbid that there is a letter "T".....well damn....didnt you know that all "T's" in the world stand for Treo?

I have been to other forums where the same link was posted. I guess now someone will feel the need to sue Sony Ericsson for having a model number that can be construed as the Treo 610....T610 for all you wishers!
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Originally posted by whmurray

Sprint does not offer "unlimited" Internet but flat-rate Internet. There are limits; they are, among other things, a function of bandwidth and load, though not of charges. Though your post seems to suggest otherwise, Sprint is not the only carrier that offers flat-rate Internet.
    Yes, they do. It's called VISION, and depending on your plan, you can get it unlimited....I should know because I have it.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    > ...or am I missing the joke?...

Yes, you are missing the joke.

BTW, why did you quote everything but the "Giggle" that followed?

Oh.

Okay.
    A new PRPRPR-$fluff$ $out$ $of$ $Sprint$ $strongly$ $suggests$ $that$ $Sprint$ $will$ $be$ $carrying$ $the$ $TREO$ $600$ $for$ $quite$ $some$ $time$.

The PRPRPR-$fluff$ $discusses$ $a$ $marketing$ $effort$ $that$ $WILL$ $take$ $place$ $aimed$ $at$ $the$ $Healthcare$ $industry$ ($that$ $is$, $the$ $healthcare$-$oriented$ $TREO$ $600$ $is$ $not$ $yet$ $there$ - $will$ $be$ $developed$).

-- http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040223/cgm005_1.html
    I hate to play devil's advocate (especially since I don't expect a Treo "610" any time soon), but nothing in this announcement really precludes a newer version of the 600. Any vertical application quite could be run on a "610" just as easily as the 600, and the release of a higher priced 610 wouldn't necessarily mean the demise of the 600. And the press release wouldn't mention an unreleased / unannounced product even it were just around the corner.

That said, I STILL don't believe a "610" will be announced on or around March 1st
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    What is wrong with the posters in this forum? This post hits the 3-spot of "uninformed, sexist, incoherent". way to go!

Originally posted by mgauss
    Let's face it.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast