Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Originally posted by Stig

I think a lot of people are forgetting the unique situation here. Handspring were short of cash, and had to make compromises with the design and manufacture of the 600. PalmOne have much greater resources, and it is in their interests to make the Treo line as successful as possible.

This situation, along with competition from other companies, makes an upgrade likely sooner rather than later.
    The assumption implicit in this statement is there is more rationality in the way that HS/P1 behaves than there is in this thread. This thread is about fantasy. Any resemblance between this thread and reality is purely coincidental. One test of maturity is the ability to enjoy one's fantasies without acting out.
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    Originally posted by whmurray

The assumption implicit in this statement is there is more rationality in the way that HS/P1 behaves than there is in this thread. This thread is about fantasy. Any resemblance between this thread and reality is purely coincidental. One test of maturity is the ability to enjoy one's fantasies without acting out.
    May I apologise for trying to bring a degree of rationality to the discussion.
    Originally posted by whmurray

Geees, I hope you're kidding...

So, what's your secret? How does one "enjoy one's fantasies without acting out." ? You can PM me privately if it's too embarrassing to mention here
    www.gsmworld.com
    I have 2 points, one way off topic and the other somewhat relevent.

1. The first is a question of semantics and language usage posed to our friends across the pond. Why is it that British and other English-speaking Europeans refer to corporations and corporate entities as a plural as in "Palm are going to ..." or "Handspring want to..." as opposed to the common American expression of referring to a corporation as a single entity (Palm is going to...)?

2. Why worry about whether or not there will soon be a Treo 610? I plan to buy the 600 now and upgrade later, selling the 600 on eBay for some percentage of what I paid today. Being state of the art is expensive, no doubt. I buy used cars but new electronics because the technology in the latter is relatively fluid, and changes in relation to performance happen much more quickly than with autos or home appliances, for example.
    Originally posted by Gasmeister
    I have 2 points, one way off topic and the other somewhat relevent.

1. The first is a question of semantics and language usage posed to our friends across the pond. Why is it that British and other English-speaking Europeans refer to corporations and corporate entities as a plural as in "Palm are going to ..." or "Handspring want to..." as opposed to the common American expression of referring to a corporation as a single entity (Palm is going to...)?
    I wouldn't be so hasty in lumping us all together, my friend. You should note that the US have the monopoly on butchering English - color instead of colour, analog instead of analogue, plow instead of plough, draft instead of draught... there are untold of these lazy examples.

So... how would you say "Handspring want to...", in American ?
    www.gsmworld.com
    "Handspring wants to"

Note: edited my own stupid mistake!
    Last edited by meyerweb; 02/19/2004 at 01:15 PM.
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    Originally posted by meyerweb
    "Handspring want's to"
    LOL - don't get me started on the use of the apostrophe!
    I didn't imply that the British version was incorrect- re-read my post- I think you'll find it rather respectful. Alas, I fully recognize how we Americans have demoted the English language from its place of glory and beauty and have defiled it with colloquialism, regionalism and outright stupidity. On the other hand, you do have the Cockney accent...
    Originally posted by Stig

LOL - don't get me started on the use of the apostrophe!
    Oops, you're absolutely right. I typed that in a rush just before heading out to a meeting. That's what I get for not proofreading. But I'm going to edit it now!
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Just to take this thread a bit further off the topic, we could ask those on the other side of the pond why they have abandoned traditional punctuation and capitalization. Americans definitely do not have a lock on the slow destruction of the English language. On the other hand, why not just call it evolution? American English and British English are perhaps just headed toward becoming two, distinct species. I do not really see one as "better" or "purer" than the other.
    Is it just me, or is locking this thread long since due?
    Originally posted by SteveNYC
    Is it just me, or is locking this thread long since due?
    I don't think so. Off topic is kinda crazy, but benign. Don't let it turn ugly.
    I heard the Phantom V is about to be released next month!

-THP
    Think First, ask questions later!
    - As far as Hi-Res goes, I am pretty sure that it is not an extra license of OS5. I think it's part of the native OS. In fact, as far as I know the Treo 600 is the only OS5 device that doesn't use Hi-Res. Maybe you're thinking of how Sony added Hi-Res to OS4 which does not natively support Hi-Res.

- As far as the English language goes, a corporation is considered a single entity for legal and tax purposes. It protects the individuals owning the corporation from having their personal wealth affected by a corporation going into bankruptcy. So for legal purposes a corporation name is more or less considered a single virtual person. So proper English would dictate something along the lines of, "Handspring is going to...". Why any bloody ****** would use a plural reference is beyond me.
    Originally posted by Nautilus Man
    I heard the Phantom V is about to be released next month!

-THP
    I'm looking forward to the Gameboy DS, so that way I can purchase my 3rd gameboy system in the past 2 years
    I <3 my Treo 600!
    Originally posted by TreoNeopet
    Hi All,

Haven't posted for awhile, so I thought I would add to this "lively" thread by posting this link to bargainPDA I just found. Check it out!!

http://www.bargainpda.com/price/defa...ay=priceDetail

But then again, maybe not, as this "review" is also from that site :

http://www.bargainpda.com/default.asp?newsID=1878

hehe- the fun never ends!

Neo
    I'm guessing this link to the Treo 610 is a joke by the website. Because there appears to be no link to get to the Treo 610 from the Palm and Handspring sections of the Pricewatch section of the website. You can only get to it from the poll on the frontpage.
    The T610 is a "Show Award" nominee in at least two categories at the 3GSM World Congress in the coming week:

-- http://www.gsmworld.com/awards/nominees.html

Giggle.

(and for those who care Orange, not PalmOne, is a nominee in one of the same categories for the TREO 600! PalmOne isn't an (overt) exhibitor (PalmSource is))
    I'm not sure why everyone seems to think that if PalmOne comes out with another Treo that it must be a "replacement" for the T600. Why can't it just be a second Treo model? Lets look at the facts:

(1) HS marketed three Treos at the same time (180, 270 and 300). Arguably, the difference between the 270 and the 300 is primarily due to different carriers. However, the 180 and the 270 work with the same carriers and were nonetheless two different models offering different features. No one claimed that when the 270 came out, that it was a "replacement" for the 180. It was just a different model.

(2) PalmOne recently announced that they are going to be de-emphasizing PDA's and moving more towards smartphones. Palm always marketed multiple PDA's in their product line-up. If they have now made the decision to move towards smartphones, what sense would it make for them to market only one model at a time? It seems to me that common sense would dictate that they would have 2, 3, maybe even 4 or more different smartphone models at any one time, each with slightly different features. The addition of bluetooth and a higher resolution screen seems to me to be a reasonable distinction in models between a T600 and a T610 - - much like Palm's Tungsten line contains different models with similar differences.

(3) Many people have been skeptical that PalmOne would come out with another Treo so shortly after releasing the T600. First of all, in the world of high tech gadgets, it has been nearly an eternity since the T600 was released. Remember, the T600 was released back in October or November of 2003. That's a long time in technological years. I was one of the original purchasers of the T180 when it was first released, and I was shocked when the T270 was released only 5 or 6 months later. I also note that when Palm came out with its original Tungsten, it was only a matter of a few months before they came out with a new model. Hhmmmm. . . Isn't this scenario starting to sound familiar?? Maybe a T610 announcement in March (with actual release probably in April or May) is not so implausible after-all!

All of that having been said, I have no inside information whatsoever on whether or not a T610 is coming out in March. I also view with some skepticism the reports on various forums of people claiming that they spoke to some anonymous salesperson at a mobile phone store who was able to somehow punch up top secret information on a new model of smartphone on their store computer. Those scenarios seem somewhat implausible to me. On the other hand, it has been 4 or 5 months since the T600 was released and in this day and age, with what the competition is bringing onto the market and the rapidly increasing demand for more models with more features, I do not find it surprising at all that PalmOne would announce a second model of Treo - - or even a third and fourth model. In the words of a particular person residing in the White House, I say to PalmOne "Bring it on!"
    Last edited by mschuver; 02/21/2004 at 03:40 PM.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Strategic need to upgrade the Treo 600.

This is why:

Speakerphone: adequate
    Phone: Adequate
    Silent vibrate: Adequate
    Browsing: Adequate
    E mail: Adequate
    MP3s: adequate
    OS version 5: Adequate
    Keyboard: Adequate and unique in the market still

Wifi: Needs Wifi Card (external Wifi is FEASIBLE)
    BT: Needs BT Card (external BT card is FEASIBLE)

Resolution: Inadequate

Benefits of increasing resolution:

From 160x160 to 320x320 you get the following:

Pictures are now adequate
    Business presentations are now not grainy
    Fonts are now realistic

Voice recorder: Inadequate
    I just don't think there will be any T610 in March. It's just too soon, especially if T-Mobile are starting to sell T600 in March. It just doesn't make sense.

Also, if there will be a BT, I don't think sprint will have it. since they have unlimited internet.