Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    O.K. after reading the posts about the cool stuff in the new Treo 610, I have decided NOT to upgrade from by Treo 270 but to WAIT.

Then, when the final upgrade opportunity for a $399 Treo 600 has expired (like many of us, I have already missed the other three upgrades waiting for T-Mobile), and the rumor about the 610 turns out to be false, I will finally buy a Treo 600 for $599 or $650. Oh well, I guess I could have done this ~5 months ago, but I am too stupid!

Your (stupid) Curlykraut
    I still think we will see a screen and bt upgrade soon, but I have no hard evidence.

more to my liking is what does appear to be another rom upgrade or flash this spring which will allow for voice recording apps.

treo 610? software version 1.20, likely.
    Originally posted by curlykraut
    O.K. after reading the posts about the cool stuff in the new Treo 610, I have decided NOT to upgrade from by Treo 270 but to WAIT.
    I think that you will be waiting for a long time...
    Originally posted by curlykraut

Then, when the final upgrade opportunity for a $399 Treo 600 has expired (like many of us, I have already missed the other three upgrades waiting for T-Mobile), and the rumor about the 610 turns out to be false, I will finally buy a Treo 600 for $599 or $650. Oh well, I guess I could have done this ~5 months ago, but I am too stupid!

Your (stupid) Curlykraut
    Tsk Tsk.
    Originally posted by treobk214

hey dave, where are your invaluable sources of information?

if youre going to pretentiously complain of such drivel, then you provide us with better insight. if you cant, then kindly shut the hell up

obviously, there IS no factual information out there about the next release so people are speculating. this is what takes place in forums. find us a place where you get more info about the next treo - surprise us! otherwise, when that info does come out, you`ll find it here. until then, push your choke back in.
    who, pray tell, do you think you are exactly?
    So it's only ok for those who believe in the T610 rumors to post drivel to the boards? Those who don't believe the rumors are supposed to shut up?

Who are you to decide what drivel is acceptable and who should shut up? Maybe you should grow up.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I sure dont understand how you live your lives. The newest latest and greatest is always a few months away. I would much rather have my 600 NOW then wait for some unconfirmed "promise" that may come in the future.

BTW...how did you ever buy a computer when each week brings something new?

Claire
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Originally posted by clairegrrl
    I sure dont understand how you live your lives. The newest latest and greatest is always a few months away. I would much rather have my 600 NOW then wait for some unconfirmed "promise" that may come in the future.

Claire
    Yeaaah!...what SHE said! *sigh*
    Why would a company with a hit product like Treo 600 release another to dilute interest in the original? This whole thread is hokum, wishful thinking and vapor. No business would release another iterative version so soon even if it already had it ready and waiting. If you wait for the mythical-610 and hold off buying the 600, you will miss out.
    Last edited by Poryphyron; 02/18/2004 at 12:56 PM.
    Hey All -

I don't know if there will be a Treo 610 or not. I'm sure at some point they'll be issuing an upgraded version. But you can be pretty damn certain it won't be March 1. Think about this for a second. They recently released the 600 for T-Mobile and they say it will ship in early March. Since by law they can't charge your credit card until the order ships, that means people can cancel their orders, quite easily, until they start shipping. If they announce a new Treo on the 1st of March, don't you think a very large percentage of T-Mobile users who have preordered will cancel and order the 610, or cancel and wait for it to be announced on T-Mobile? I know I will. I'm not sure how many preorders they're going to receive, but I would think it's a pretty substantial number, and I can't believe they'd risk losing all those sales of a unit on which they are already backordered.

The only caveat here would be if PalmOne's possible resourcing of manufacturing could result in cheaper production, even with upgrades -- in which case maybe they'll just tell us on March 1 that we have to get the new version instead, because that's all that's available. If that happens, I'm going to 7-11 to have a banana slurpy with Elvis.
    Originally posted by sdlynx
    Since by law they can't charge your credit card until the order ships,
    Pretty much agree with everything you say, but the above statement just isn't true. At least not in the U.S. Charging your card when an order is placed is VERY common in the mail order business.

About the only thing the law says about this is that if the item purchased won't ship within 30 days, the vendor needs to notify you and give you the opportunity to cancel your order. If you do cancel, they need to refund any charges already posted.

And if the "610" is introduced in the next few weeks, I'll meet you for a Slurpy.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    meyerweb.
    yes.I am king of treocentral and as king I believe we should propogate nothing but drivel in this thread. its much more useful than actual fact. please. whatever
    Originally posted by treobk214
    meyerweb.
    yes.I am king of treocentral and as king I believe we should propogate nothing but drivel in this thread. its much more useful than actual fact. please. whatever
    I am sure the TreoCentral agrees. The threads that deal in speculation, gossip, fear, uncertainty, and doubt seem to generate much more traffic than those that deal in mere facts, answers, and solutions.

Claire
    Not that I believe the 610 exists, but i think current treo 600 owners would riot if they came out with a new treo so soon after the 600 was released. think about how much time it took to get the 600 after the 300 was released....this is why i believe the 610 march release is pretty much a hoax.

and by the way the pic on your avatar is basically just an invite for horny geeks to pm you...unless...that's what you want j/k

Claire
    Not that I believe the 610 exists, but i think current treo 600 owners would riot if they came out with a new treo so soon after the 600 was released. think about how much time it took to get the 600 after the 300 was released....this is why i believe the 610 march release is pretty much a hoax.

and by the way the pic on your avatar is basically just an invite for horny geeks to pm you...unless...that's what you want j/k
    I asked my partner, who actually owns a Palm IIIc if he knew when the T610 was coming out and what features it would have. He "claimed" to have no idea what I was talking about. I find that extremely suspicious!

Also, I noticed that my office mate who owns a Palm m130 is mysteriously on a "business trip" this week and has taken her Palm with her! Is it because she's swapping it out for a T610 on this "business trip?"

I also telepathically asked one of my dogs, who likes to eat snacks right out of my Palm if he knew when/if it would be released. Sure, he ate the snack and drooled, but he didn't specifically deny the rumor! I also caught him eating **** in the yard a few days ago. Was that his way of telling me that PalmOne was essentially telling T600 early adopters to eat sh*t and that they won't provide us cheap upgrades?

So my inside info is a mixed bag, but personally I am almost certain that they will come out with a new Treo that upgrades the 11.5 bit screen to true 12 bit! I can't wait.
    Originally posted by robguz24

So my inside info is a mixed bag, but personally I am almost certain that they will come out with a new Treo that upgrades the 11.5 bit screen to true 12 bit! I can't wait.
    A little crude but I admit it. I laughed.
    Man, I can't wait til March arrives. These heated 610 threads is making a bunch people fight like mad dogs. I just want everyone to get along already.

Claire
    Personally, I've never bought a computer because I keep waiting for the latest and greatest to come out. Until then, the one at work will have to suffice. Besides, even if the perfect computer did come out, I couldn't afford it because I keep buying $500 Treo's as they come out!
    Originally posted by Poryphyron
    Why would a company with a hit product like Treo 600 release another to dilute interest in the original? This whole thread is hokum, wishful thinking and vapor. No business would release another iterative version so soon even if it already had it ready and waiting. If you wait for the mythical-610 and hold off buying the 600, you will miss out.
    If they've nearly depleted the 600's inventory they might. With prices dropping it might actually be more cost effective for them to purchase higher performance parts instead of asking a manufacturer to crank out another batch of low res screens, 133 mHz processors, etc to build new 600's. Especially if one of the manufactures has discontinued the part in favor of a higher performance one. They might opt to discontinue the 600 in favor of a unit re-using 600 parts (chassis,keyboard,etc) with the exception of a newer screen, and faster processor. Of course the theory only holds true if the 600 inventory has been depleted.
    Originally posted by Bob-C

If they've nearly depleted the 600's inventory they might. With prices dropping it might actually be more cost effective for them to purchase higher performance parts instead of asking a manufacturer to crank out another batch of low res screens, 133 mHz processors, etc to build new 600's. Especially if one of the manufactures has discontinued the part in favor of a higher performance one. They might opt to discontinue the 600 in favor of a unit re-using 600 parts (chassis,keyboard,etc) with the exception of a newer screen, and faster processor. Of course the theory only holds true if the 600 inventory has been depleted.
    Inventory? Inventory? We don't need no stinking inventory (depleted, obsolete, or otherwise).

As best one can tell from the marketplace, the Treo 600 strategy has never involved any inventory, parts or finished product. They pre-sold (and shipped late) every unit.