1.    #1  
    Hi All

I should get my treo 600 at some time today. I have searched this forum and got a lot of the info I need.

From what I have read in order to use an mp3 file as a ring tone I will need to buy pTune, Call fillter and an SD card.

Is this correct or is there a way to use an mp3 as a ring tone that does not involve buying additional apps and cards.

Thank in advance for any info on this.
    You can achieve the same with TreoButler (costs 6 dollars rather than 30 for CallFilter) and pocket tunes.

Pocket Tunes you can get free by registering the Treo 600 at http://www.handspring.com/cdregister/ I had to upgrade to the latest version of Pocket Tunes (2.1) to use it for ring tones, this is free from the pocket tunes website.

I currently don't know of a 100% free way of doing this, but 6 bucks isn't too much
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the info

I think I can run to $6 for an app.

Do I still need an sd card.
    Yep. Music files can eat a lot of space, and so can lots of pics.

Just don't try to cut the card down with an exacto knife to keep it from popping out. -LOL
    I filed down my Sandisk 256mb card using a nail file (Emery board...) I used the dummy card as a template. However I did not go so far as to make it flush, it sticks out about 1/2mm, but I rounded it off, and it works perfect! Nothing is exposed, and it looks like it was made that way not. Smooth and sweet looking.
    Palm III > Palm IIIC > Handera 330 > Kyocera 6035 & Sony NR70V > Treo 600 > Treo650 & Palm LifeDrive > Modded LifeDrive w/16gig CF > Palm Pre