1.    #1  
    I have been considering the Treo 600 and ran across this phone by Sony Ericsson called the P900. After going through the website this phone really looks nice and packed full of features. The only drawbacks I see is it doesn't use the Palm OS and no keyboard. Take a look at this site and let me know what you think.Sony Ericsson P900

Has anyone heard of AT&T or any other cell service providers offereing this phone in the near future? It is a GSM phone.
    There are a number of threads here talking about this phone, search on P900.

I don't know of any US carriers offering it. You can order it direct from Sony Ericsson U.S. website for $799 and it has been in stock.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    The thing is that the Treo 600 makes sense on the road. Why other manufacturers don't get it I don't get.

To me I agree with you Palm OS and keyboard are musts. So are one handed operation, good "feel", small size.

The Treo 600 (and the 300) have that combination for hardware and software that justs "gets it."

You could be jogging and it is trivial to get the news or email with the Treo 600. On a Sony P900 you'd have to get the pointer out and peck.

HOWEVER, THE FEATURES OF THE P900 ECLIPSE THE LAZY TREO 600 HARDWARE OFFERINGS. And that is why I like this posting.

In conclussion: while the Treo 600 is the cat's pajamas, the Treo 600's hardware is behing the competition. Low resolution of 160 x 160, no voice recorder, no BT, no Wifi, are reason for us to kick them in the *** to get moving.

It's just that when you make 120 million dollars you get to be a little lazy engineering wise. At Sony they are squishing the bytes out of them. But how in the world they chose Symbian (what's that an alien from Star Trek?) and no keyboard? That is what happens when you have Hashimoto designing in Japanese for the English market. Since they have 20,000 letters in Japanese (every word is a picture) what's the sense of a keyboard? Everyone knows that in Japan keyboards have 20,000 keys, and you cannot put that in a Palm. Then Symbian why not. They cannot read English look at the p900 manual: "Congratulations on purchase of P900."

If Sony could hire some people over there that spoke English but they were Lost in Translation!

Here is a job:

Company: Sony Ericcson
    Description: Add keyboard and Palm Operating system to P900 and make it the best selling smartphone in the planet. Copy all Treo 600 non patentable features.

I know 10 electrical engineers who could do that in 1 month!
    While I agree that the a keyboard and even more important a D-pad for one handed operation are a must, I disagree about Palm OS. From a technical standpoint, Symbian seems like it's far superior to Palm OS, especially for a phone/pda perspective. From an application standpoint, the arguement about "10,000" Palm OS apps looks to me about as lame as the same arguement on Windows vs. Mac (I'm a Mac user just to show my bias).

What really matters is does it have the apps I need? For comparison:

PIM: Symbian (UIQ to be more specific on the P900) has a better contact app in that it holds fields for multiple addresses (work & home for example), can assign photos, and specific ringtones. Palm wins the calendar with DateBook 5, but the built-in calendar isn't terrible and allows categories and colors to an appointment. The program Handy Day 2004 has a great day and week view and a multiple page launcher which really makes up for alot.

Phone: Symbian wins here except I do like (mostly) the UI on the Treo phone app. Photo ID, animations all built-in to the P900. The Treo has a better favorites page, but the P900 counters with voice tags, so who needs the favorite buttons?

Photos: Both have SplashPhoto from SplashData (my personal favorite handheld app).

Internet: I really like the basics in Blazer, but the increased pixels really let both the built-in browser and Opera to blow Blazer out of the water.

Multimedia: P900 supports Midi, WAVE, MP3, JPEG, MP4 and others directly in RAM and card. Palm OS still won't be able to support them in ram even in Palm OS 6 Cobalt. This isn't a hardware problem, it's a basic OS problem. The P900 has a built-in audio player that while not as cool as Ptunes, works just fine. It also has a picture viewer and video player all built-in (along with the camera allowing both still and video capture).

None of these really decide which is better for an individual, but it's not just hardware. Many of the Palm OS foundations are falling behind and Palmsource doesn't seem to be making very much progress yet. My Treo has reset itself a number of times in the past couple of weeks (all when not really doing much). The P900 has only really hosed up twice so far and both times seemed to be Opera hogging things on large webpages that I wouldn't even try Blazer on.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Originally posted by mgauss
    The thing is that the Treo 600 makes sense on the road. Why other manufacturers don't get it I don't get.

To me I agree with you Palm OS and keyboard are musts. So are one handed operation, good "feel", small size.

The Treo 600 (and the 300) have that combination for hardware and software that justs "gets it."

You could be jogging and it is trivial to get the news or email with the Treo 600. On a Sony P900 you'd have to get the pointer out and peck.

HOWEVER, THE FEATURES OF THE P900 ECLIPSE THE LAZY TREO 600 HARDWARE OFFERINGS. And that is why I like this posting.

In conclussion: while the Treo 600 is the cat's pajamas, the Treo 600's hardware is behing the competition. Low resolution of 160 x 160, no voice recorder, no BT, no Wifi, are reason for us to kick them in the *** to get moving.

It's just that when you make 120 million dollars you get to be a little lazy engineering wise. At Sony they are squishing the bytes out of them. But how in the world they chose Symbian (what's that an alien from Star Trek?) and no keyboard? That is what happens when you have Hashimoto designing in Japanese for the English market. Since they have 20,000 letters in Japanese (every word is a picture) what's the sense of a keyboard? Everyone knows that in Japan keyboards have 20,000 keys, and you cannot put that in a Palm. Then Symbian why not. They cannot read English look at the p900 manual: "Congratulations on purchase of P900."

If Sony could hire some people over there that spoke English but they were Lost in Translation!

Here is a job:

Company: Sony Ericcson
    Description: Add keyboard and Palm Operating system to P900 and make it the best selling smartphone in the planet. Copy all Treo 600 non patentable features.

I know 10 electrical engineers who could do that in 1 month!
    After reading your post, I think that Sony is purposely using incomplete and grammatically incorrect sentences (not to mention misspelled words) in a bid to appeal to you.