1.    #1  
    Hello,

I got my Treo 600 10 days ago and absolutely love it. Since then I have been doing lots of reading to catch up with this stuff but am still kind of a newbie. Have ordered a case, purchased a SD, purchased BackupMan and will likely get SnapperMail this week as suggested by many of you in treocentral.com

I am a heavy user of the phone (Sprint CDMA). The calendar that came with my Treo is I believe adequate and works for me. One piece of software that I used to use with my old Zire machine was a freeware program called HappyDays. When I did the switch to my Treo that program did not come over (I guess it was a very old version not supported by Palm OS 5 and above??). I have now dowloaded the latest version of it (Happy Days 2.29) and still trying to determine if it will give me any problems if I do install it. Any one using this with no problems to his/her Treo 600?

Will the Agendus and Datebk5 programs allow me to do what Happy Days used to do for me? (store birthdays and anniversaries with reminders/alarms). If yes, will the other features be overkill for me? Which of these two upgraded programs work flawlessly with the Treo 600? Which of these two are EASIER to use?

I would definitely appreciate any responses to enlighten this Treo rookie and first time poster

Thank you!

George
    I wish I could give you the indepth answer you seek. I've only had my Treo for 2 weeks and have been using Agendus Pro since day one.

I am not all that happy with Agendus.

I feel that it is too heavy; just loaded with too much stuff. Although the 600 has 32mb, there are only 24 usable to us. I dont need programs that dont intergrate with the existing applications on the phone. Meaning....the 600, like any other Palm comes with ToDo, Memo, Calendar...etc, etc.

I want an application that incorporates the features already there and not one that uses its own, independantly of what the phone already provides. IMHO, that double duty.

If Agendus is going to use its own stuff, then I should be able to remove ToDo, Memo, Cal....etc, from RAM.

Anyway, sorry I couldnt be of any help to you. Hopefully someone will pick up on this and give you an answer.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    I use the Datebook that came with the Treo and after I downloaded a newer version of HappyDays, it works great!
    Yes, Datebk5 will do what you want it to do. Make sure to download the beta version with 5-way pad support.

It has tons of other options you can or can't use - but it's not overkill. Just learn the features you want. The instructions are thorough, and the Yahoo group provides a lot of answers if you have questions.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I cannot speak to DateBk 5, but I am a long time user of HappyDays and Agendus, DateBk 3 & 4. HappyDays has a different goal from these others. While I can obiously add people's birthdays and anniversaries, it does not keep it with the person's info.

All of that said, HappyDays works great on my 600, and so does Agendus.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for all the answers! Based on all your input I will no longer consider Agendus, seems like overkill for my needs and it may give me some problems (that I just don't have right now and I kind of like it that way).

I also installed the latest version of Happy Days and it works very smoothly as one other post indicated! I love that little program, it does what it does very well, no fluffy features I will likely never use.

I am looking at datebk5. I will likely not go for it unless I see a feature that will make me "Wow, I really NEED that!"

My SD card came today, did the first backup with BackupMan. My Sprint Treo 600 case came today and I am very pleased with it.

Now if I can only have the guts to install the Sprint update software....I have read too many horror stories so I am sitting that one out. Why bother since everything works so well, why mess with a good thing? Unless I read here that I GOT to do it for this or that reason I will stay in the sidelines.

Again I appreciate all your help.

George
    New Treo fan
    I think you are making a mistake not trying them for yourself. I use Agendus and love it. I find Datebook5 so feature-heavy and complicated that it is just too much trouble. But I tried both before I made the decision which one suited me best. You should too.
    Could one of the "HappyDays" users here please tell me:

1. How do I activate the Icons?
    2. How do I get anniversaries to show up in addition to Birthdays in the
    actual HappyDays listing?
    3. Can this program be used to insert Holidays?

Thanks
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    1. Dunno, haven't figured that out yet.
    2. In the Birthday field in your address book, following the birthday, enter a new line and type something to the effect of: * anniversary 8/28/97
    3. You can use the same method to insert holidays. * Christmas 12/25
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli
    1. Dunno, haven't figured that out yet.
    2. In the Birthday field in your address book, following the birthday, enter a new line and type something to the effect of: * anniversary 8/28/97
    3. You can use the same method to insert holidays. * Christmas 12/25
    Thanks Alli,

I was able to setup the Anniversaries in the Address Book, but it doesn't list then in the Happydays listings, only the birthdays. (But it shows them in the Calendar program)
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    I was looking at this thread and noticed that my HappyDays does not display any data in its application. When I tried to have it rescan my address book, it looks like it is doing something, but nothing shows up.
    The only thing I can think of is that I have HappyDays setup incorrectly for Datebk5, or the firmware upgrade caused something to happen.???
    Anyone else experiencing this problem? Anyone have any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong? I have the latest version of everything, so that is not the issue.
    Help me please
    Quote Originally Posted by darjay
    I was looking at this thread and noticed that my HappyDays does not display any data in its application. When I tried to have it rescan my address book, it looks like it is doing something, but nothing shows up.
    The only thing I can think of is that I have HappyDays setup incorrectly for Datebk5, or the firmware upgrade caused something to happen.???
    Anyone else experiencing this problem? Anyone have any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong? I have the latest version of everything, so that is not the issue.
    Help me please
    Make sure your custom default field in HappyDays is labeled birthday. For some reason the instructions tell you to use this, but the default in HD has some bizarre name. That should solve that issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by scandalex

I feel that it is too heavy; just loaded with too much stuff. Although the 600 has 32mb, there are only 24 usable to us. I dont need programs that dont intergrate with the existing applications on the phone. Meaning....the 600, like any other Palm comes with ToDo, Memo, Calendar...etc, etc.

I want an application that incorporates the features already there and not one that uses its own, independantly of what the phone already provides. IMHO, that double duty.

If Agendus is going to use its own stuff, then I should be able to remove ToDo, Memo, Cal....etc, from RAM.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Agendus store all of it's info in the Palm applications database? If you go into your Todo, Address book, etc. you will see the Agendus created entries. You could not remove those apps as Agendus needs them to store data. I think it's a brilliant solution as you could remove Agendus and still have your data, or use any of the Palm apps to look things up if anything happened to Agendus.

I use Agendus and love it. It's nice to have all the info you need in one app (contacts, calendar, memo, etc).

Mike
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    Thanks for the suggestion, but it is labeled as Birthday.
    I deleted and reinstalled the app, reviewed the data in my address book and it is the same it has been in the past.
    Any other suggestions?
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    Thanks, you pointed me in the right direction.
    Happydays was looking for a field titled Birthday, but my custom field in my Address book lost the name Birthday. As soon as I renamed Custom1 to Birthday, my problem was solved.
    Thanks again.!
    Quote Originally Posted by kazinvan
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Agendus store all of it's info in the Palm applications database? If you go into your Todo, Address book, etc. you will see the Agendus created entries. You could not remove those apps as Agendus needs them to store data. I think it's a brilliant solution as you could remove Agendus and still have your data, or use any of the Palm apps to look things up if anything happened to Agendus.

I use Agendus and love it. It's nice to have all the info you need in one app (contacts, calendar, memo, etc).

Mike
    Comments on Adgendus and how ell it works on the Treo 600 would be appreciated...any problems with software glitches / crashes and can you use the treo 5 way pad, etc??
    Thanks for your help!
    I don't have a Treo yet, they just became available here in Canada and I spent all of my money on a wedding I will have one soon, within a week or two I hope. I am using Agendus Pro on my Palm Vx, works like a charm, no problems thus far and much nicer than the built in apps.

Mike
    I have Datebk5 and love it. There are some issues with it though.
    I use to sync my phone to Outlook (till I notice Outlook was acting funny so I no sync with Palm Desktop) and I have Plaxo which automatically sends emails to people in my address book to update their personal info including birthdays. When my contacts update their birthday with Plaxo, it then puts it in my calendar as a reminder. Anyways, to make a story short I sometimes find these entries twice in my datebk5 calendar. I manually delete them but haven't figured out why it happens.

Also, I've had instances when I'm adjusting an old entry in the Datebk5 calendar (It's new so I like to mess with it and play around with the icons) and it resets my phone. Normally the info remains the same but I just don't understand what causes the crashes. I did notice however that it only happens with past date entries.

There's nothing saying birthdays either (hmm...I never thought of that). But I don't use it for that purpose anyways since I have Plaxo.
    Darn, I just got a soft reset. I clicked on month view on the calendar, then I clicked on day view, then I did as though I was going to write something. Then I clicked on "DET" to set up time and stuff to see if anything says birthday. It didn't so I clicked cancelled and an error saying "error saving entry", I clicked ok and it reset.

I hope you all understand what I just wrote there. In other words, my treo 600 just crashed and performed a soft reset.

Hahaha....I guess recommending Datebk5 just went down the drain.

Sorry gpapadop