Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I noticed thid hasn't beed discussed in awhile but I just got a headset adapter and have been listening to music etc. And YES, i can talk on the phone with my stereo headset. And I don't think the speaker on the phone is what picks up my voice. Just to test it , I puty my phone in it's case and have it clipped to my belt. I had my stereo headphones in & left myself a message and it sounded way clear!! I think that the earphones themselves pick up the sound. You don't need to buy any other adapters, or have two separate headphones. All you need is the headset adapter ($3-$5) and ANY headphones. Please correct me if I'm wrong...
    No its not the earphones picking up your voice that would be impossible. It's the built in mic. The built in mic does do a remarkable job of picking up voices from a distance, which can be bad if your trying not to reveal your location. :-) The speakerphone mic also works even better from your belt but it will pick up even more background noise than the built in mic. Try your experiment again driving in your car with the windows rolled down. When you play back the voicemail you will hear nothing but wind.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Actually, headphones CAN be used as microphones. I found this out recently while using Teamspeak. Had the mic pluged into the headset plug and vice versa. It took a second for me to realize, but my headphones, in fact, became microphones. So, since the plug on the treo is stereo, one channel would be for the mic and one for the earphone. I would imagine that if you had a stereo plug plugged into the port on the Treo, it would disable the built-in mic to aleviate feedback and echo, etc. But, rest assured, headphones can be used as microphones. Same technology just different size.

Cheers.
  4.    #4  
    you sure about that? there are three rings on the treo 600 headset ring. one for ground, one for left earpiece,& one for right earpiece AND mic, andthe third for ground. the mic and earpiece seem to share the same line (found this out here: http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...?postid=267458) this tells me that the the sound is possibly picked up by one of the earpieces?
    TreoNeo -

This is the coolest trick yet.

I have been in a quandry waiting for a good headset/headphone combo.

I checked where the sound was being input from, and it sounds to me like it is coming in from the onboard mic, not the headphones (I called my home phone and spoke into each while listening).

even works when you click on "speakerphone".

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    now, this is indeed interesting....
    Fact is, headphones can indeed be used as microphones. The smaller the ear-piece, the better it works (actually, it is much more complicated than that, but you get the general idea...).
    Theoretically, if the plug lines up right, the original post could be accurate in his assumption (although I doubt it since I don't think the polls DO line up right)

Anybody else try this???
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by chrispawling
    TreoNeo -

This is the coolest trick yet.

I have been in a quandry waiting for a good headset/headphone combo.

I checked where the sound was being input from, and it sounds to me like it is coming in from the onboard mic, not the headphones (I called my home phone and spoke into each while listening).

even works when you click on "speakerphone".

Thanks!

I still don't see how the onboard mic picks up sound when my phone was in a case tha was closed thus covering the mic and the case was haging on my beltloop-far from my mouth. I'm willing to bet that one of the earplugs pick up the sound. Or maybe the actual cord of the headset is picking up the sound? Any techies out there can give us a definite answer since we have all been speculating here.

Who cares though. All I know is that I can use ANY set of headphones along with a stereo adapter to listen to tunes AND talk on the phone! Forget having to get these special headphones...

One thing, I wonder if while on the phone the mute function will mute you? Someone test it out as my stereo adapter has gone bad after I triimed the rubber too much.
    Does the trick work with the Handspring stereo headphones that do not require the headphone adapter? Or is the adapter important?
    Originally posted by treoneo

I still don't see how the onboard mic picks up sound when my phone was in a case tha was closed thus covering the mic and the case was haging on my beltloop-far from my mouth. I'm willing to bet that one of the earplugs pick up the sound. Or maybe the actual cord of the headset is picking up the sound? Any techies out there can give us a definite answer since we have all been speculating here.

Who cares though. All I know is that I can use ANY set of headphones along with a stereo adapter to listen to tunes AND talk on the phone! Forget having to get these special headphones...

One thing, I wonder if while on the phone the mute function will mute you? Someone test it out as my stereo adapter has gone bad after I triimed the rubber too much.
    No speculation here whatsoever.
    Fact: when a stereo adapter is plugged into the Treo, the mic is disabled.
    Fact: it IS your headphones that turn themselves into a microphone.
    Fact: any standard set of stereo headphones will work. some better than others.
    All anyone needs is the $3 RadioShack adapter
    What adapter should be purchased at Radio Shack? I went in there and they said it would not fit correctly. I've heard some people buying an adapter at Radio Shack and 'cutting' it to fit. Anyone find the exact size? I would rather pay $3 at Radio Shack and instant gratification instead of ordering it online or on ebay for $3 and $10 shipping.
    I just tried this, and it works. Sort of...

With the headphones in my hand, held next to my ear, and my finger covering the mic hole on the Treo, the sound of my voice is remarkably clear.

But with the headphones on my head (and my finger over the mic) the sound of my voice is pretty garbled. I imagine there's a lot of variation based on brand and efficiency of headphones, how well they block out external sound, and how loud you speak when you're on the phone.

But I'm going to have to try out all my headphones now!
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  12.    #12  
    I got these little mini earbuds from sony and when I talk on the phone with the earbuds 
    While there are earpieces that will do this (Jabra sells one), not just any headphones will work. Try the old audio engineer's test: Scratch each earphone with your fingernail. In my test, you cannot hear it, and it should be extremely loud. Next, I spoke with the headphones at my mouth and the Treo under my chair - no volume. Then I tried the reverse - Treo at my mouth and headphones under the chair - loud and clear. Sorry, but this myth is busted.
    Not sure why anyone would want to talk into the ear hole. How would you be able to use the head set if you have them off?
    I had the Radio Shack stereo mini-to-standard adapter plugged into my Treo 600, which then had a cassette adapter plugged into it, and the cassette was in my car stereo's cassette deck. I made a call home to leave a message as a test, and it worked great. My voice (and my kids') was clear and loud. While I know that a headphone can be used as a low quality mic, I sincerely doubt that my car speakers were transferring my voice through the wires, through the amp, then through the cassette adapter and finally into the Treo. At the very least, the breakdown in this chain would be the fact that it was having to bridge a specialized device (the cassette adapter) the wrong way, since the deck doesn't have a recorder, and I don't think the adapter is able to receive audio. It's not like it just turns it all into one big wired connection, and even if it did, the quality would be atrocious, but it wasn't. It was just as good as in speakerphone mode.
    Seattle Palm Users Group!
    http://www.seapug.com/
    Originally posted by Advance The Man
    What adapter should be purchased at Radio Shack? I went in there and they said it would not fit correctly. I've heard some people buying an adapter at Radio Shack and 'cutting' it to fit. Anyone find the exact size? I would rather pay $3 at Radio Shack and instant gratification instead of ordering it online or on ebay for $3 and $10 shipping.
    The only one that i've found at radio shack was an L-shaped adapter that wouldn't fit due to the size of the adapter casing....this might be what people are referring to. If someone could address if they have purchased an adapter at radio shack that fits in the treo unaltered that would be great. and a sku number would be nice too
    Well, mine's not an L shape, and it did require modification as far as trimming some "fat" from the casing of the adapter to be able to stay inserted in the Treo. It's just some plastic/rubbery stuff, and trimming it had no adverse effect on the functionality of the adapter.
    Seattle Palm Users Group!
    http://www.seapug.com/
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Hey, I noticed when I tried this with some old ear-buds I have the volume controls didn't work. Otherwise, great discovery!
    "I Sync, therefore I AM!"

BellSouth became Cingular, left for ATT, who became Cingular, who became ATT. Is that right?
    Visor Pro > Vx > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Tilt!
    I was curious and had to try it. I used a pair of Sony "earcup" style of headphones. I cliiped the Treo to my hip in it's case and pulled my shirt over it and left the earphones on my ears. I made a call, the other party could here me but said I sounded like I was in a tunnel. I switched it to speakerphone. They said I sounded louder - but still like I was in a tunnel.

Conclusion? Conversation is definitely possible, but not as good as holding the phone to my mouth or using the regular headset. Better than I thought - but a true 2 in 1 would probably be better.

I used my regular speaking voice, which is .... I guess ... medium.
    Originally posted by breckbone

No speculation here whatsoever.
    Fact: when a stereo adapter is plugged into the Treo, the mic is disabled.
    Fact: it IS your headphones that turn themselves into a microphone.
    Fact: any standard set of stereo headphones will work. some better than others.
    All anyone needs is the $3 RadioShack adapter
    And this is fact because? Because you say so?

On my treo600 sprint the built in mic is only disabled when I plug in a headset such as the one that came with the Treo. When I use the stero adapter and my earphones, my built in mic is not disabled. I tested 6 different earphones that I have and put my phone in a sealed zip-lock bag in my desk drawer. Put one earphone into my ear and the other in front of my mouth. I called my co-worker with all six and he could hear almost nothing once I got the phone into the bag and the drawer. I took the phone out of the drawer and out of the bag and placed it on my belt behind my back and he could hear every word I said clearly. Now there are some facts for you. :-)
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast