Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I have been looking at various proxy servers for my Treo 600. My goal is to find a high performance proxy server that will do ad blocking and image size reduction. I wanted to know if anyone else was working on this as well, and if so what they had found.

Here are the ones I have looked at so far:
    - Privoxy - This is only ad blocking, but I keep coming back to it. I have used this and its predecessor (Junkbuster) for a long time.
    - Muffin - Ad blocking, I wrote a image resizing plug-in but the whole proxy server ran too slow.
    - WebCleaner - claims to do image resolution reduction which would make the images come down faster, but current version has it disabled. I was not able to get image reduction working again.
    - RabbIT2 - Ad blocking, image reducing, filtering. Seems pretty good so far, was relatively easy to install. I still have to run some performance tests.

Are there any others out there? RabbIT looks best so far, particularly since it is written in Java and that is what I do for a living.

The primary reason WebViewer is so fast is the proxy server has done so much for the device. I am not trying to belittle the product, I am very impressed with it, but I would love to keep Blazer (and my $20) and use my own proxy server.
    Everex Freestyle -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Deluxe -> Sony CLIE -> Kyrocera 6035 -> Toshiba e740 -> Tungsten T2 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre

visorcentral -> treo|central -> pre|central.net
    I don't know of anyone using a different proxy server using blazer.... however there is one for Palm's Webpro... It is much faster than Blazer... but I like you, would like to use blazer if it could be made faster...

Can Proxy servers dictate that text is downloaded first rather than images? I find blazer to be rediculus that it downloads pics first.... If this could be changed... the experience would seem different even uncompressed...
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I have been running Privoxy since I recieved my 600. I see no reason to download ads over my limited bandwidth. I realize that some feel this is unethical, but I am paying for my bandwidth, and I descide what I look at.

As for the value of a proxy server, one could absolutely be used to ensure text comes before images. Additionally I think having my home computer convert 300x400 gif to a 150x200 gif is better utilization of processors. If I can additionally use that proxy server to reduce the JPEG quality, all the better.

I like using Blazer one handed. No other browser I have seen allows that. In looking at the size of WebViewer I feel the primary value they are selling is thier proxy server with a very, very thin client. I would love to hook Blazer directly up to the WebViewer proxy, but that will never happen.

I wrote the first draft of a PDAImageHandler plugin for RabbIT2 today, it scales images to less than a configurable width/height (say 150, 150) and reduces jpeg quality to a configurable level. It seems to be pretty fast. If I get something that seems stable, I will post it here.
    Everex Freestyle -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Deluxe -> Sony CLIE -> Kyrocera 6035 -> Toshiba e740 -> Tungsten T2 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre

If you get something together, I'd love to be able to see the results... Sounds like you have the right idea....
    Cool! I'd be interested too, as I'm sure most other Blazer users. BTW, what is the user experience if you use RabbitIT in its default installation with Blazer 3?
    Last edited by Trez; 02/18/2004 at 07:40 AM.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I have not spent much time with Blazer and RabbIT. I have used it a little, it seemed fine, even right out of the box.

I have been doing most of my RabbIT testing with my desktop. The GZIP handler seems to be a little weird with IE (IE kept trying to download Google search results instead of rendering them), so I turned that off, otherwise it seems good.

I have a few other ideas, like forcing page breaks on lines that are too long. I am also thinking about adjusting some formatting like removing background colors and text colors, but that could be turned off. This would help with sites like TreoCentral where the links at the top are in white and invisible until the blue background color is rendered.

The other nice thing about RabbIT is you can prefix your URL with "noproxy" and you get the original unproxied page. So while http://www.cnet.com would give a formatted page, http://noproxy.<a href="http://www.c...w.cnet.com</a> would give an unformatted page.

RabbIT also provides caching, which is not very helpful for a single user, but if we found someone with a killer connection to host something like this, blazer users could benefit from each other's browsing.

Thanks for the reply! I went ahead and installed Rabbit on my server. It installs pretty easily - just unzip and run the jar file.

Unfortunately, I'm running XP, so the image shrinking feature which I was looking for isn't going to work for me since it is looking for an image tool in /usr/bin (obviously Linux). Oh well.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I was able to install ImageMagick for windows and point to convert. I struggled for a little bit because I forgot to change the name from "convert" to "convert.exe".

Can I ask what specific changes you had to make? I installed the binaries, then changed the convert tage in the config. file, but all I get is a timeout when viewing pages now.

Thanks!
    I am new to Java but I'm not a complete newbie to computing. I once setup a Linux box and I learned DOS long before Windows (hated it then).

I am running a NAT box and I'd like to learn more about setting up my own proxy server. I like WebViewer but I think it'd be cooler to have my own proxy server, not to mention the chance to learn a tiny bit of stuff about networks.

What would you suggest I do first to start learning more? I have installed RabbIT on my PC, but have not configured it. I did run 'java rabbit.proxy.Proxy' but didn't have a clue what to do next.

Any advice?
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Here is the contents of my ImageHandler section:
    convert=c:\program files\imagemagick-5.5.7-q8\convert.exe

convertargs=-quality 10 -flatten $filename jpeg:$filename.c

As for the question on running it, I use this configuration file, run 'java rabbit.proxy.Proxy', there is no output except in the error_log and access_log. Then configure the browser to use localhost 9666 as the proxy server.

Hopefully I will get some time this weekend to work on this some more. My thoughts on text before images is to have the image handler run on a lower priority thread.

I'd pay someone who put up a good blazer proxy server.... I am sure there are several who would....

Anyone want to make some $$?
    Anyone know a way to force RabbIT to send text first??? or to Speed up browing even more? I can't tell if the images are actually compressing or not... any thoughts? It doesn't seem to be a huge speed improvement on Blazer...

L
    Lee Ladisky
    Image compression, in fact NO content compression is working. I am running RabbIT under XP and the proxy works, but no matter what my config files says, what directories I use, etc., ImageMagick doesn't compress a thing and the received web pages are exactly the same size. I know the proxy works because I can access Palmgear via Blazer without a problem. . In fact I find NO files in the cache directory... was there some installation jar file that was supposed to run under XP? Can someone email me a complete example config file that works under XP? Thanks!

My email address is:
    lee.ladisky@bigfoot.com
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I put the Jetty based Palm Proxy back up on my site for anyone who is interested. For anyone who remembers this thread from before the crash this will scale images, compress content, simplify html, and try to prioritize content for Blazer. It is not as fast as Reqviewer, but it significantly increases the speed of Blazer.

Before you download this, you must understand how to, and be willing to, open ports on your own system. Knowing how to run Java programs is important too. There is a bash based start up script in the Jetty directy called "start.sh". All of this was written to be a prototype, but I have been using it for a long time now.

The download location is http://www.sperko.com/files/palmproxy.tgz